Is it worth $35 to purchase choice seats on US Airways for TA trip

rolladice

I am flying for the first time to Europe and am wondering if there is any benefit to purchasing choice seats on US Airways besides being in the front of the plane? I appreciate any insights into selecting seats. I have visited seat guru. Cheryl

Their preferred seating is somewhat a joke. The seats aren't any larger and there is no extra legroom. The only thing you are paying for is being in front of the plane. Waste of money in this case.

It also buys you zone 2 boarding which pretty much guarantees overhead space. Also if you've bought a choice seat, they won't move you out of it to accommodate others. It pretty well guarantees that you'll have the aisle or window seat you want. (Unless there is a change of equipment.)

Does this include emergency row seats? Some airlines charge extra for those. I've seen the option to pay more for seats that supposedly have extra leg room (e.g., on Continental). Curiously, when we booked biz class on an international trip, and there was one leg in economy class (due to the size of the plane; not out of our choice), we still would have had to pay extra for those "extra leg room" seats (we declined).

You won't see them available online unless you're at least a Silver elite. Like with the "purple" seats on the seat map that are reserved for elites, the exit row seats aren't available to the general public until the day prior to or day of departure. If they are not booked on the day of departure, anyone can request them, provide they can meet the FAA requirements for sitting in an exit row.

Archived