Car Seat Laws?

lrowe70

I was wondering the same thing since we will have a 8.5 month old at the time we cruise and go to cozumel. I googled it and this is what I found: (I saw the travel seat at the babysafetysuperstore; it's in Mississauga Ontario, canada, but I know they have a website as well that you can order off of)

They don't require them

Many countries (including Mexico) don’t have any requirements for child safety seats or seatbelts like the US does. Even if you take a car seat, if you are riding in taxis, a lot of them don’t have seat belts anyway. You can find travel car seats or safety restraints that will be easier to travel with, or you can rent a car and request car seats if you like that option better. Or you could get the travel vest for airplanes and use it in the car as well (it's better than nothing).

Check this site for more tips:

http://www.cancun.bz/cancun_info/childrentravel.php

I hope this doesn't turn into a debate as that is not my intent.

All I want to know is what is the law regarding carseats in Mexico?

Are they required? And if so, for what ages/weight?

Not debating but merely asking, why in the world does it matter what the "law" states? I have spent a lot of time in Mexico, and you can always find a cab with seat belts.

Yes, there are seatbelt/car seat laws in Mexico:

Mexico:

Mexican law requires both the driver and front seat passenger to wear seat belts, but passengers in the back seat do not have to do so. Children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat. Children under the age of five must sit in a carseat fastened by the car seat belt in the back seat.

Not debating but merely asking, why in the world does it matter what the "law" states?

I would assume that it matters because the OP wants to be in compliance with the law. From your response, it sounds as though you are assuming that she is trying to avoid using a car seat unless the law compels her to do so. Perhaps, but it's also possible that she is indeed intending to use a car seat, but wants to make sure that if the law is stricter than what she's used to, she'll know so that she'll be able to comply with it.

Here in the U.S., car seat laws vary from state to state; to say nothing of how the laws might vary between countries. I may be perfectly within the law here in my own state, but then go for a road trip and find myself in trouble with the police for not properly restraining my kids according to the laws in another state. That's why I educate myself as to the laws in the places I will be visiting, so that I can make sure I obey them. It sounds to me like that's what the OP is doing, too.

I would assume that it matters because the OP wants to be in compliance with the law. From your response, it sounds as though you are assuming that she is trying to avoid using a car seat unless the law compels her to do so. Perhaps, but it's also possible that she is indeed intending to use a car seat, but wants to make sure that if the law is stricter than what she's used to, she'll know so that she'll be able to comply with it.

Here in the U.S., car seat laws vary from state to state; to say nothing of how the laws might vary between countries. I may be perfectly within the law here in my own state, but then go for a road trip and find myself in trouble with the police for not properly restraining my kids according to the laws in another state. That's why I educate myself as to the laws in the places I will be visiting, so that I can make sure I obey them. It sounds to me like that's what the OP is doing, too.

How do car seat laws differ from state to state in the US? I'm genuinely curious. Can you provide an example?

How do car seat laws differ from state to state in the US? I'm genuinely curious. Can you provide an example?

I can provide one :)

I live in a state that is very strict and goes by the "8/80" law - a child must be 8 years old AND at least 80 pounds (who are of a height of 4 feet 9 inches or taller) before the child is allowed to simply use a seat belt without a booster seat.

But in some other states, the law simply states that any child 4 and under must be in "an approved car seat".

My state provides some pretty strict rules. So we joke with my 7 year old that she will be 15 years old before she will be "heavy enough" to get out of her booster. ;)

Here are the different state laws to be more specific to your question

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/childsafety_laws.html

------------

HI RUGRATS!!!! :D

My state provides some pretty strict rules. So we joke with my 7 year old that she will be 15 years old before she will be "heavy enough" to get out of her booster. ;)

This sounds familiar - we expect our 7 year old will hit the height requirement well before the weight requirement - she's skinny as a string bean :)

From your response, it sounds as though you are assuming that she is trying to avoid using a car seat unless the law compels her to do so. Perhaps, but it's also possible that she is indeed intending to use a car seat, but wants to make sure that if the law is stricter than what she's used to, she'll know so that she'll be able to comply with it.

Gosh, maybe I misread the intent behind this question from the OP

Are they required?

Hi Michelle!

The laws very from state to state in the US - our state is 8/80, Alaska is 50 lbs.

The lasw also vary from country to country. I don't know specifically about Mexico, but I have been in a country where a baby was in a sling on the parents front while riding a scooter while a toddler was hanging onto the parents back. Sure they could have been breaking the law, but they also could have lived in a country with out sealt belt/car seat laws.

We don't use car or booster seats and our kids are 6 & 10..

I'm not sure what your point is, and I don't know how large your six year old is, but Texas law requires children ages eight and under, who are 4’9” or less in height, to be secured in a child passenger safety seat system.

I have cruised many times but in Oct it will be the first time with a child much less a toddler. My son will be 16 months when we go on the Allure. I love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel so we plan to go back again with him...

Since we have to take a taxi to get there, I wanted to hear exactly what those of you did who took a carseat for there infants or toddlers. Were the taxi drivers helpful with getting it in the car properly? did you have issues since there cars may be older? Did the taxi drivers seem to understand what you were wanting as you got in?

*sigh*

Sorry I asked such a "hot topic" question.

Thank you to those of you who attempted to answer my question(though the answers contradict each other)

I'll look elsewhere for a 100% certain answer that doesn't involve debates, opinions, and speculation.

I'm not sure what your point is, and I don't know how large your six year old is, but Texas law requires children ages eight and under, who are 4’9” or less in height, to be secured in a child passenger safety seat system.

Whenever there is a hot topic, his answer will always be whatever will envoke the most response ;) I have become used to it.

Since we have to take a taxi to get there, I wanted to hear exactly what those of you did who took a carseat for there infants or toddlers. Were the taxi drivers helpful with getting it in the car properly? did you have issues since there cars may be older? Did the taxi drivers seem to understand what you were wanting as you got in?

Well, they will wait while you get it in. But they won't be helping you. No, it may not be the best situation but it's better than the alternative.

I'll look elsewhere for a 100% certain answer that doesn't involve debates, opinions, and speculation.

Here are the Mexican car seat laws.

Mexican law requires both the driver and front seat passenger to wear seat belts, but passengers in the back seat do not have to do so. Children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat. Children under the age of five must sit in a carseat fastened by the car seat belt in the back seat.

But if you read on, they have very little compliance, enforcement or fines.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6517718_mexico-child-seat-belt-laws.html

And sorry but asking on the family board pretty much guaranteed that you were going to get an opinion about children and their safety. ;)

Were the taxi drivers helpful with getting it in the car properly? did you have issues since there cars may be older? Did the taxi drivers seem to understand what you were wanting as you got in?

I doubt it based on my experiences locally!

I have cruised many times but in Oct it will be the first time with a child much less a toddler. My son will be 16 months when we go on the Allure. I love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel so we plan to go back again with him...

We are just back from Costa Maya and Cozumel. We had difficulty finding taxis with ANY seatbelts, although when we pointed to the booster and car seat in tow peop,e were very helpful in finding appropriate vehicles for us. Our last taxi driver explained that many taxis actually cut the belt buckles because passengers don't like sitting on them! It did take some looking, explaining and patience, but we found vehicles that could have our seats installed reasonably well. The taxi drivers did not help install the seats, mainly because I'm a car seat tech and do it all myself (!), but were helpful in holding the seatbelt or whatever else I asked. We did give generous tips as the driver did have to wait a few minutes while I installed the seats.

To the OP, use of car seats while on vacation is a hot topic and will always generate debat, here and on most parenting boards. Filter through the information and make a choice you can live with.

We are just back from Costa Maya and Cozumel. We had difficulty finding taxis with ANY seatbelts' date=' although when we pointed to the booster and car seat in tow peop,e were very helpful in finding appropriate vehicles for us. Our last taxi driver explained that many taxis actually cut the belt buckles because passengers don't like sitting on them! It did take some looking, explaining and patience, but we found vehicles that could have our seats installed reasonably well. The taxi drivers did not help install the seats, mainly because I'm a car seat tech and do it all myself (!), but were helpful in holding the seatbelt or whatever else I asked. We did give generous tips as the driver did have to wait a few minutes while I installed the seats.

To the OP, use of car seats while on vacation is a hot topic and will always generate debat, here and on most parenting boards. Filter through the information and make a choice you can live with.[/quote']

You are a CPST? I'm fairly anal about car seat safety - it's important to me ad I wouldn't take DD in a car without one. It just isn't safe.

You are a CPST? I'm fairly anal about car seat safety - it's important to me ad I wouldn't take DD in a car without one. It just isn't safe.

Sure am, here in Canada we're called CRSTs ;) I have been certified for almost 4 years now. I'm really lucky, the head of our organization is a national trainer (i.e. she writes the training course) and we have great representation from Transport Canada. My experience does influence some of my posts on this forum ;)

I'm also fairly anal about car seat safety, to the point where I would have replaced all of our seats if they were not compliant with the new Canadian car seat collision testing regulations that came in Jan 1, 2012.

Sure am' date=' here in Canada we're called CRSTs ;) I have been certified for almost 4 years now. I'm really lucky, the head of our organization is a national trainer (i.e. she writes the training course) and we have great representation from Transport Canada. My experience does influence some of my posts on this forum ;)

I'm also fairly anal about car seat safety, to the point where I would have replaced all of our seats if they were not compliant with the new Canadian car seat collision testing regulations that came in Jan 1, 2012.[/quote']

Our 21 month old is ERF. We won't flip her until she maxes the height or weight for her seat.

I wanted to become certified but havent done it.

Our 21 month old is ERF. We won't flip her until she maxes the height or weight for her seat.

I wanted to become certified but havent done it.

You should definitely look into it, I did my training when DS1 was 3 and DS2 was 8 months. It was a 2 day course and poor DH brought DS2 to me every time he had to eat, as he was EBF and wasn't into bottles ;) I got certified to keep our children as safe as possible, and I'm very glad I did. When we travel I can make split second decisions about which vehicle to take, what things I can let slide and what I simply won't tolerate. I even taught a few West Jet cabin staff about using the seat belt extender to install a Britax Marathon on our flight to Tampa!

Good for you for ERF! It's so nice to hear more people choosing this option and having the seats that let them do so easily.

You should definitely look into it' date=' I did my training when DS1 was 3 and DS2 was 8 months. It was a 2 day course and poor DH brought DS2 to me every time he had to eat, as he was EBF and wasn't into bottles ;) I got certified to keep our children as safe as possible, and I'm very glad I did. When we travel I can make split second decisions about which vehicle to take, what things I can let slide and what I simply won't tolerate. I even taught a few West Jet cabin staff about using the seat belt extender to install a Britax Marathon on our flight to Tampa!

Good for you for ERF! It's so nice to hear more people choosing this option and having the seats that let them do so easily.[/quote']

I caught a lot of hell from friends and family about my decision to ERF - a lot of people just don't understand it. Even when I toss out the AAP recommending it, people view turning their kids as a milestone. My favorite line is when people tell me her legs are uncomfortable. If they were she would protest loudly.

I caught a lot of hell from friends and family about my decision to ERF - a lot of people just don't understand it. Even when I toss out the AAP recommending it, people view turning their kids as a milestone. My favorite line is when people tell me her legs are uncomfortable. If they were she would protest loudly.

Yeah, I heard that one too ;) I almost did a double take when I saw a 4 year old rf at one of our clinics. It ended up she had outgrown the straps of the seat ff (they were below her shoulders rf in the top harness slot!) so we had to send the poor parents out to buy a new seat. Now that's ERF! My favourite is the comment about breaking a leg...fortunately I work in health care and quickly reply that it's easier to fix a broken leg than a broken neck :rolleyes:

Yeah' date=' I heard that one too ;) I almost did a double take when I saw a 4 year old rf at one of our clinics. It ended up she had outgrown the straps of the seat ff (they were below her shoulders rf in the top harness slot!) so we had to send the poor parents out to buy a new seat. Now that's ERF! My favourite is the comment about breaking a leg...fortunately I work in health care and quickly reply that it's easier to fix a broken leg than a broken neck :rolleyes:[/quote']

LOL - my response is the same. Are you on BG??

Archived