Fanning Island/Napali Beach

Has anybody that has gone to Fanning Island paid the extra to go to the private beach, Napali Beach? Did you enjoy it and was it worth the extra $$ to not have as many crowds around? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

We went there in May/2002, and it was well worth the $5 pp they charged at that time. I think it is more these days. As I recall, the beach area is about the same size as the rest of the ship will have, but the water was very shallow. I don't think it was because of low tide, but not sure. The mats that were provided at not extra cost allowed for a some quiet floating in the "hot/direct" sun, so be careful of that.

Since it was so shallow, I was using my hands to push my mat around at one point, and picked up what felt like a shell or rock, only to find it was something called a "sea cucumber". This thing's defense mechanism included expelling a blast of sticky, "goo-like" substance that encircled my hand like silly sting, and took me quite awhile to scrape off. I was afraid at first that it might sting, but it did not.

So, back at the beach, NCL appeared to have some natives assiting them with some sailing rentals, though I can't recall what they had. We also took a walk along the beach, remembering a crowd gathered to watch an unusual looking crab burying itself.

We could go back to the mainland at any time, where you can still explore the features of Fanning. We made it a point to mail a post card from there, expecting it to arrive in 1 - 3 months. My sister-in-law thought that was a good idea, and hers arrived in 1 month. Mine is still in the mail!!

Tom/Connecticut

We paid the extra to go to the "private" beach" and it was fine if you like quiet and extremely shallow water. I took great pictures of various colored fish without having to snorkel. NCL had a waiter dressed in bathing suit and tux top to deliver drinks. A nice relaxing afternoon. The walk from the boat to beach and reverse take to the ship take you past island residents selling wares.

<LI>Tropicale ~ 5/93 <LI> Norwegian Wind ~ Hawaii ~ 4/4/03 <LI>Norwegian Majesty ~ Bermuda~ 5/30/04 <LI>[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until we sail on the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda!
[img]http://gifs.net/animate/lmkbubblfsh.gif[/img]

we went in march of 03 and i think it was either $15 or $20 a piece. we got a (fairly useless, 'cause they were only L and XL and i'm an XS) tshirt to take home, but the day was lovely and in addition to the yellow floats there are hammocks on the far side of the beach if you get there early enough to grab one. also nice if you don't want to spend the day in the hot sun! we called it money well spent to be away from the bulk of the crowd...

ncl ? 80-something,
celebrity century (bleah) 90-something
ncl wind 03

Fanning is absolutely beautiful if the weather is good. Napali beach ticket is $20 per person (you will get a Napali T-shirt for free), you can go back and forth as many times as you like - Napali doesn't have bathroom facility, food court etc: Bar service is available.

Archived