WiFi

esimon

i should probably know this but... I assume the ship has this but I have to pay for it-- expensive?

trying to figure out how to communicate with my kids (who are grown and won't really care about communicating with me lol)

cell phone old and won't do international

It is not that bad, But to save money bring your own laptop or tablet and download the emails to it and get off . Read them and then replay to them and then re log on and send

I have a service business and my tech's send emails to me and such I can usually download 20 emails in a minute and send 6 or so in 2 minutes

It is not that bad, But to save money bring your own laptop or tablet and download the emails to it and get off . Read them and then replay to them and then re log on and send

I have a service business and my tech's send emails to me and such I can usually download 20 emails in a minute and send 6 or so in 2 minutes

What is the cost of this? We do have our own laptop

If this is not too technical a question to answer here, how does one download it to the laptop? I have never been successful with this.

You have to have an e-mail client on your laptop such as Outlook or Outlook Express, Endura and others and your e-mail must have the option to download thru a POP Client. You will then download your e-mail and it will reside on your laptop and not on the web although if you set things up correctly you can leave it on the web as well as download it.

Suggest you post who is your e-mail with and probably someone on here can answer at least if yours is downloadable. For instance, don't think hotmail or gmail are downloadable. Not sure about those so if someone has better info, please post.

well - if I don't have that - what does it cost to use the ships computers

Not exactly sure what "that" is but, using the ships computers is exactly the same cost as using your own. Sometimes they may be a little faster than yours resulting in lower usage but, basically the same.

There are packages you can buy and the more minutes in a package you buy, the lower the price per minute. Think the cheapest price per minute is around $.45 but, don't quote me on this. If you search the forum, I've seen prices posted recently or you could call Regent tomorrow and possibly get the correct price.

Problem with ship computers is that you have to get your e-mail on the net and reading and replying whle connected uses a lot of time. Much cheaper if you can find an e-mail client for your laptop and get an e-mail that allows downloading. Even if you have to buy a softward program for your computer, you will save money vs. reading your mail on the net.

Whether you user your own laptop or tablet, or the ship's computers, the costs are the same. You buy a package of a block of minutes:

Plan #1: 100 minutes for $45.00 ($0.45 per minute)

Plan #2: 250 minutes for $87.50 ($0.35 per minute)

Plan #3: 800 minutes for $200.00 ($0.25 per minute)

Pay As You Go: $0.75 per minute

One-Time Account Activation Fee - $3.95 (for all users on first login)

The advantage of using your own computer with an email client program, and Stevanb and RallyDave have mentioned above, is that you can logon, download for a minute or two, logoff, read your messages while offline, write your replies or new messages while still offline, then login again, send all your messages, and logoff. Your total elapsed time per session is thus just a few minutes. If you use the ship's computer, using a web browser to read and reply to your email while connected (or your own laptop using a web browser instead of an email program), you can really chew up a lot of minutes online.

Repeat Regent customers become members of Regent's Seven Seas Society, and on the cruise you'll reach your 21st night on a Regent ship (typically your second or third cruise), you get perhaps the most valuable benefit of the loyalty program: unlimited free internet service.

-- Eric

Ok

If you have a windows laptop see if you have outlook express if not you can download it for free

Then if you do get a lot of email at home I would get another email account for when you are traveling so you only get what you need .

Best is a gmail account

What ever email you use as long it is has pop3 capability you are good to go and most are

Archived