Vancouver-what to do the end of May?

bowie123

Vancouver is a city of many beautiful sights, my suggestion for someone with only a day is to take one of the HOHOs; no question it is the very best way to see a lot of the city in a day. That said, there is no way to see all of the sights in a single day.

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

We enjoy sightseeing, trying different restaurants and foods, don’t mind doing things on our own.:)

Thanks.

Enjoy your day - there's more than enough to keep you happy in this wonderful city (my home town) - but ignore the previous poster - the mountain he told you about is "Grouse" Mountain (not Goose!)

I agree with Putterdude and would recommend Vancouver Trolley Company for a day's stay in Vancouver. You can hop on and decide with of their over 20 stops you want to hop off to have a look. You can do it all day! We took the Trolley the first time we visited Vancouver, and we liked it so much that we took it the second time.

One of my favorite things to do in Vancouver is to walk along the Sea Wall between Canada Place and Stanley Park.

You can also purchase 1-day transit passes that allow you to ride on the buses, the Sky Train and Sea Bus. Each of those is an adventure all its own. We love taking the Sea Bus from the Waterfront Station (almost next door to Canada Place) and "cruising" over to North Vancouver. There is a market there where you can get an ice cream cone and sit outside to enjoy the view of Vancouver.

Another favorite thing of ours is to ride the mini-ferries that cruise in False Creek and visit the Farmer's Market at Granville Island. You can stay on the ferries for a round-trip visit, or use them to get you from place to place.

Can you tell I love Vancouver???

The DH and I love Vancouver, and had been there several times on both cruises and land trips.

Stanley Park is wonderful and a great place to visit. The aquarium is located within the park. We also enjoy the walk along the sea wall between Stanley Park and Canada Place. Even though we live where float planes are a common sight we never tire of watching them land and take off.

For those interested in art, Vancouver has a great art museum. The Vancouver Art Gallery (http://www.vanartgallery.ba.ca) is located downtown. They have a great permanent collection and have wonderful special exhibits.

I agree that the trolley would a great overview. Vancouver is a wonderful city. I LOVE Stanley Park; it's easy to spend the day there, walking the seawall altho I prefer later in the summer when the rose garden is in full bloom.

Look at reply #5 in this thread for a comprehensive list of things to do: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1238430

And when in doubt, GOOGLE the name of any town with the words 'visitor information' and you'll find a web site devoted to that town's tourism.

We did a great day-long tour that we booked through our hotel. It went up to Goose Mountain, the suspension bridge etc. Great tour and if you only have a day it's a good way to see as much as possible.

Can you say which hotel... The hotel for our overnight in Vancouver is our last thing to book. One that has a tour sounds ideal.

Any other hotel ideas with tours welcome as well.

Can you say which hotel... The hotel for our overnight in Vancouver is our last thing to book. One that has a tour sounds ideal.

Any other hotel ideas with tours welcome as well.

I highly recommend visiting the Tourism Vancouver website for ideas on what to do while in town; everyone's tastes are different, but outdoor events (Grouse Mountain/Stanley Park/Capilano) are always popular; but there's some fine culture such as the Vancouver Art Gallery, Museum of Anthropology (at UBC) are also excellent. It really depends on what you like to do.

One constant is that the local transit system is the best way to get around, a $9 all day pass will get you to every common tourist attraction, which is less than 1/2 the price of any of the HoHo buses, and they just visit downtown.

Something a lot of visitors to Vancouver are amazed at, is the large number of Asian and east Indian residents; and that also means we have excellent food choices for those cuisines, and shopping tailored to these demographics. For example, the Richmond Night Market has got to be seen to really understand (come with an empty belly because the food options are amazing and wildly varied). Last census I believe they counted that about 1/2 the households in metro Vancouver don't speak English (or French) at home.

Archived