Want to touch a glacier, please help!

AceDoc

Please help: Not with my obsession, mind you. We have a group of twelve going- ages 5 to 65. RT Seattle on the NCL Star. Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican on the stops. My sister and BIL are wanting to physically lay hands on a glacier - or get as close as possible- but- here's the catch- don't wish to fly to one. They're in their thirties and can hike with no problems (but prefer to minimize the walk if possible). Any suggestions on this?

Without flying, they will have to be OK with the ice on the walls at Mendenhall visitor center. Or consider the Mendenhall Lake canoe trips for a touch of fallen ice. It is a long hike to the West side of the glaicer if they are really obsessed. :) http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

Too bad your not coming to Seward,I could really use a good massage!..Exit Glacier would have been perfect for them...Consider Seward for your next trip....A thought,maybe there is a good kayaking place at one of your ports that will take them up close and/or some of the boats.

When you are in Seattle, you can go to Mt Rainier where there is over 80 glaciers, you can go on them, hear them moving and hear the ice falls, but be careful when out on the glaciers as there is 200 feet to 400 feet deep openings. For the most part the glaciers in Alaska would take at least a 4 mile hike over steep terrain to get to.

OK - Now I'm confused!! Is it not possible to walk on Mendenhall near the visitors centre?? I was under the impression that you could - Am I completely off track and can someone please explain what exactly you can do at and around the visitors centre??

Thanks

Hey Wolfie, thanks for the link.

It looks like mysef and my DH will be doing captain larrys whale watch plus helicopter glacier landing. He picks up us at 2.15 and we return at 7.30. Bearing in mind that we arrive in Juneau at 12pm and depart at 8pm:

1. Is it worth going to the Mendenhall visitors centre beforehand (seeing that we will not have any time to do any walks)

OR

2. Should we just spend our time in Juneau browsing??

ALSO

3. Is a 7.30 return too late for a 8.00 departure???

Thanks for the info

GlacierLady, can you tell me something about Exit Glacier? We disembark in Seward early in the morning and our flight leaves from Anchorage around 9pm, so we're planning to rent a car to drive to Anchorage, and we'd like to take our time and see a bit more. Exit Glacier sounds like an excellent choice for a place to spend a little time. How much time should we allow? What else can you tell me?

Thanks!

Kate

GlacierLady, can you tell me something about Exit Glacier? We disembark in Seward early in the morning and our flight leaves from Anchorage around 9pm, so we're planning to rent a car to drive to Anchorage, and we'd like to take our time and see a bit more. Exit Glacier sounds like an excellent choice for a place to spend a little time.

I will let Glacier Lady fill you in on the details but I will say that the visit to Exit Glacier was the highlight of my Coral Princess cruise.

Here are some pics - you can tell how close you can get from the pics:

seward pics with Exit glacier

Here is one pic -

Image-DCE396989EE711D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Mendenhall is several miles from downtown and the cruise ship docks. You will have to take a taxi or a bus to get there. You could probably get a taxi to drive you out, turn around in the parking lot and you could snap a few pictures, but I wouldn't. It's cutting it too close. You will probably see plenty of glaciers on the trip, and Mendenhall isn't the most spectacular of glaciers, and you will be a couple miles away from it at the visitor's center.

It looks like mysef and my DH will be doing captain larrys whale watch plus helicopter glacier landing. He picks up us at 2.15 and we return at 7.30. Bearing in mind that we arrive in Juneau at 12pm and depart at 8pm:

1. Is it worth going to the Mendenhall visitors centre beforehand (seeing that we will not have any time to do any walks)

OR

ALSO

Thanks for the info

See if you can take a shuttle or taxi down to Mendenhall and then see if Capt Larry can pick you up at Mendenhall and take you to whale watching.

Do you have to be back on the ship at 7:30 for an 8:00 departure or 8:00 for an 8:30 departure?

I will let Glacier Lady fill you in on the details but I will say that the visit to Exit Glacier was the highlight of my Coral Princess cruise.

Here are some pics - you can tell how close you can get from the pics:

seward pics with Exit glacier

Here is one pic -

Image-DCE396989EE711D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Awesome pics Coral! $5 per vehicle to get in unless you have National park pass or Golden Eagle(seniors).Park doesn't "close" so if you go before 8am or after 8pm no charge and actually a better chance of seeing bears,moose,goats ect.Free ranger lead nature walks at 11am and 3pm.Most people average around 2 hours, a little longer going on the ranger walk.The rangers love an audience,and you'll love it there and learn alot about glaciers!http://www.nps.gov/kefj/trip_planning/What%20to%20see%20and%20do/Exit%20Glacier.htm

OR

ALSO

Thanks for the info

As clairfied for you - there is no glacier access from the visitor center side. You will get a view of Mendenhall as you shuttle to the whale watch. I would spend your time downtown. Did Orca Enterprises schedule your whale watch KNOWING of your ship departure. If so, no worries.

Wow, beautiful pictures! And great info! I'm afraid we won't be able to get there before 8am or after 8pm, but I love the idea of the ranger-led walks. How far outside of Seward is it?

About 7- miles??? My opinion only, Exit is nothing like it used to be 5 years ago, it has receeded by half probably. You need to consider the uphill walk to get the great views.

Wow, beautiful pictures! And great info! I'm afraid we won't be able to get there before 8am or after 8pm, but I love the idea of the ranger-led walks. How far outside of Seward is it?

To get to Exit Glacier.. Go 3 miles north of Seward then turn left at Herman Leirer Road.(just south of the Pit bar),then it's 8.6 miles to the entrance at the end of the road.Allow 20 mins travel time from Seward.Look for moose and bear(in trees alot) on the drive and your walk.As you drive/walk into the park you will see signs with the date/year of where the glacier used to be.It is receding fast but still has atleast 200 years of life left and very much worth seeing. There are 4 trails,the main paved that takes you to the face,the nature(ranger takes you on flat/easy walk and leaves you at the face), overlook loop that makes a circle up next to the glacier which brings you up about 400 feet,and the Harding IceField trail which is 3.5 miles to the top.( 8hr hike if your in good condition that you need food/water on.)All are very well marked. There are informative signs and benches to sit on along the trail.Running water and flush toilets at the entrance.No food available but nice place to picnic,share with a bear!:)

See if you can take a shuttle or taxi down to Mendenhall and then see if Capt Larry can pick you up at Mendenhall and take you to whale watching.

Do you have to be back on the ship at 7:30 for an 8:00 departure or 8:00 for an 8:30 departure?

Budget QueenQuote:

Originally Posted by OnlyMe

OR

ALSO

Thanks for the info

As clairfied for you - there is no glacier access from the visitor center side. You will get a view of Mendenhall as you shuttle to the whale watch. I would spend your time downtown. Did Orca Enterprises schedule your whale watch KNOWING of your ship departure. If so, no worries.

I'm an idiot - meant to say we depart at 9pm NOT 8pm - I got Skagway and Juneau mixed up!!

Larry won't do a pickup at Mendenhall for us so that option is out. Also, I don't want to miss out on seeing at least some of downtown BUT was just wondering if we would be missing much at the visitors centre?

Really, myself and my DH are not really hikers - a gentle walk yes but full blown hiking No - So I was thinking that mendenhall would be a bit of a waste for us.

Now I have one more question (and I swear I'm booking my excursions after this!!):

Should we go with this plan of ;

JUNEAU - Downtown stroll, Helicopter glacier flight (2.15 pickup) followed by Captain Larry whalewatch and return to ship at 7.30 for 9pm sailing

OR

JUNEAU - Mendenhall visitors centre, Helicopter glacier flight and downtown stroll and do the Helicopter glacier in Skagway with Temsco??

We would really prefer to do Coastal but will we be missing too much by not going to Mendenhall????? (We trust in you Budget Queen!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this info today and am thinking of using them. http://www.beyondak.com. Above and Beyond Alaska is their name and they do a glacier trek in Juneau - 6 hrs. No flying. I talked with them today and it sounds great. check out their photos on their website. And the price seems right too! Does anyone know anything about them?

Archived