Silversea's "Bon Voyage" Travel Binoculars

Orange County Murphy

Has anyone purchased the travel binoculars (US $45) listed in the Bon Voyage gift brochure included with final documents?

They are described as "Power view (10 x 25DCF) with case", and appear to be light weight & very portable.

At that price I don't have high expectations, but wonder if they would be sufficient for jeep safaris?

Has anyone purchased the travel binoculars (US $45) listed in the Bon Voyage gift brochure included with final documents?

They are described as "Power view (10 x 25DCF) with case", and appear to be light weight & very portable.

At that price I don't have high expectations, but wonder if they would be sufficient for jeep safaris?

There's a pair in every cabin!

I sailed aboard the Whisper last February and billcrooz is absolutely right. I was really hoping for a pair of binoculars -- my TA had told me he thought they were provided in every stateroom -- and I was delighted to find them there. So, no need to buy them for your cruise!:)

If this is true, my upcoming Silversea cruise will definitely be my last one.:mad:

U aren't going on another SS cruise if u don't get binoculars? Wow, that's some dealbreaker...:eek:

Cheers

Jennifer

Our travel docs for the Silver Explorer state, "Binoculars (two pairs are provided in each suite/stateroom for your use during the voyage)". We'll see.

The SS binoculars are quite large, and if you were wanting to take them in the zodiacs with you could be cumbersome. We had small travel binoculars for use in the zodiacs, and we used the SS ones on board.

Thank you for your replies. Silversea's Special Services department advised that the binoculars offered in the Bon Voyage brochure are smaller, more portable and designed for use off the ship. We decided to try them for our jeep safari excursions, and will report our experiences with them.

I recall that the in-suite binoculars were quite cumbersome.

Jennifer, it might be the deal-breaker in addition to other changes more experienced SS cruisers than I have commented on, and obvious cost-cutting measures in the dining room I saw on my first trip. The generous 25 percent single supplement was what spurred my first SS cruise, and that's already gone, excepting for ocean-view staterooms.

When I sailed aboard the Whisper last year, the ship, which (as you know) can carry 385 passengers only had 375 of us aboard, a number of whom were widows such as myself. A single person in the stateroom doesn't eat or drink for two, after all, and it seems to me it makes more sense to encourage solo travelers, and not treat them as second-class citizens, by maintaining the 25 percent supplement than to leave the ship with more empty staterooms.

Icidentally, "u" may be OK in texting, but why not respect our language and use "you" in written statements?;)

Anything can be a deal breaker for anyone. My suggestion regarding single supplements would be to set a per diem you are willing to pay.

Price the voyage that interests you and see how it fits on what you had previously set. Spending time on the current (common) thought process

is a waste. Enjoy life!

Jennifer, it might be the deal-breaker in addition to other changes more experienced SS cruisers than I have commented on, and obvious cost-cutting measures in the dining room I saw on my first trip. The generous 25 percent single supplement was what spurred my first SS cruise, and that's already gone, excepting for ocean-view staterooms.

When I sailed aboard the Whisper last year, the ship, which (as you know) can carry 385 passengers only had 375 of us aboard, a number of whom were widows such as myself. A single person in the stateroom doesn't eat or drink for two, after all, and it seems to me it makes more sense to encourage solo travelers, and not treat them as second-class citizens, by maintaining the 25 percent supplement than to leave the ship with more empty staterooms.

Icidentally, "u" may be OK in texting, but why not respect our language and use "you" in written statements?;)

Petrea829: I think bloggers on this web site use it primarily to obtain information and share experiences in a collegial atmosphere. So, I wasn't clear on when you were appointed the grammar and syntax police for cruise critic in ensuring contributors use the proper "language." (You might want to check your own use of the "language" regarding your spelling above.)

I have to admit the thought that not having binoculars in a cabin is a novel reason for giving up a cruise line but then again I also understand that it's the synergistic impact of a number of relatively small changes that can add up to a larger issue. Right now the main items of discussion, in terms of giving up a cruise line, back on my regular part of Cruise Critic run more along the lines of AC problems, broken plumbing, poor service, formal nights, missed ports, and so on. They don't provide binoculars on that line except for the highest suites so that hasn't come up, at least not yet. :-)

Jennifer, it might be the deal-breaker in addition to other changes more experienced SS cruisers than I have commented on, and obvious cost-cutting measures in the dining room I saw on my first trip. The generous 25 percent single supplement was what spurred my first SS cruise, and that's already gone, excepting for ocean-view staterooms. When I sailed aboard the Whisper last year, the ship, which (as you know) can carry 385 passengers only had 375 of us aboard, a number of whom were widows such as myself. A single person in the stateroom doesn't eat or drink for two, after all, and it seems to me it makes more sense to encourage solo travelers, and not treat them as second-class citizens, by maintaining the 25 percent supplement than to leave the ship with more empty staterooms.

Hi Petrea829

I see now that it isn't just the binoculars, it's the whole single supplement thing.

U r preaching to the converted, I am a solo passenger too however I understand that SS cannot have heaps of cabins available just for single people - they would never make any money.

Last year (for the first time ever), I was able to get a balcony on the Spirit for 125% - it was fantastic but I knew that I probably wouldn't get it again. So I'm happy with the Vista suite. I think SS is very good with their single supplements. Seabourn (175%+), Regent (200%), and 200% for many of the mass-market lines r much higher than SS. Crystal has reasonable single supplements so u might like to look at their itineraries.

oregon50's idea is a good one and I use it. Set yourself the highest amount per diem that u will pay and take it from there.

Everywhere u go, as a single person, u get slugged with the supplement, whether it's cruising or hotels. At least airlines don't charge extra:). I used to whinge about it but now I just suck it up. It comes down to: pay or not pay - cruise or not cruise.

Cheers

Jennifer

Cheers to you as well, Jennifer.

If you want to use text language, it's true that I'm not the boards' grammar police, so use what you want to use.

You have got it right -- it's the whole single supplement issue, but I still think that if they're not filling up the entire ship, it makes more sense to allow singles to choose any cabin (not a Silver Suite+) with the 125% single supplement.

The first time around, I also found it to be a generous and endearing act of good will toward widows or other singles like myself, who would not otherwise be able to take such a wonderful vacation. :)

I agree with the both of you. I didn't marry till my early 30's. It used to aggravate me that I would have to pay extra. They are saving on food and liquor when there is only 1. With the economy the way it is, revenue is revenue. If you can fill suites with singles, why not?!

Petrea, I'll look for you on the Cloud. I'm tall with short blonde hair and wear glasses. I'll be with a man about my height with dark hair (ponytail) and glasses. See ya' on the cruise.:)

I just received an email stating that certain cruises have a 5% single supplement!

Mar 21 2012 1211 10 Bridgetown, to Fort Lauderdale

Jun 04 2012 2217 9 Piraeus (Athens) to Civitavecchia

May 06 2012 3212 11 Shanghai to Tokyo

Apr 03 2012 5209 9 Fort Lauderdale to Bridgetown

Apr 12 2012 5210 14 Bridgetown to Lisbon

Apr 26 2012 5211 9 Lisbon to Monte Carlo

Jun 25 2012 5217 7 Istanbul to Piraeus (Athens)

Archived