Bag of laundry

J18ktleo

Since I currently do not have any of the levels mentioned in previous posts, what would it cost me for a bag of laundry as a newbie? Thanks. :)

TO SPCL4CS_GAL,

Great posting here by A SIXTH? in regards what laundry costs on Celebrity.

Let me add a bit more info, that I as a Newbie discovered while onboard (and not here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD)

First off, the Laundry Bags that everyone speaks of are very different from what one sees in a major land-based hotel. They are not plastic, not very big, adn have very little room for "give"... they are envelope style (so not flat bottomed like you'd find with a shopping bag or grocery bag)... as such what you can fit inside them is very limited.

In our case, we put in a Formal Long-Sleeved Dress Shirt, and to be honest it took up most of the bag...

The DEALS that you hear others speak of here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD are primarily offered to Captain's Club Elite Members, or those in Suites. And in those situations they typically are "coupons" that allow one to do a certain number of pieces at a reduced rate...

The DEALS that you hear about where one can fill a bag, seem to be few and far apart these days (based on recent postings). There were NO DEALS offered on our 7 Day Solstice Cruise.

Secondly, even if there is a "Stuff the Bag" DEAL... as I said, you aren't going to get much into that bag to begin with... the best way to use that DEAL would indeed be to do socks and undies... as they take up the least amount of room... cost the most to wash (considering how small they are)... and also offer the best value because, well quite frankly the Laundry Services aboard the Ships aren't ideal to begin with.

Which is no doubt WHY there is the Disclaimer / Limited Liability Clause at the bottom of the Laundry Services Order Form...

NOTES - Special articles of apparel such as silks, flannel trousers, woolens and other items that are difficult to clean are accepted for laundering only at the Owner's risk. Items marked DRY CLEAN ONLY should not be laundered. In case of loss or damage, liability is limited to 10 times the price charged for laundry / pressing of said article. Not responsible for shrinkage, fastness of colours, zippers, buttons and ornaments, or ordinary wear and tear in pressing, or anything left in pockets of garments.

There have been numerous stories here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD about folks being disappointed with the laundry services (even having items shrunk etc)

Personally, the Formal Dress Shirt that was sent out for Drycleaning (we opted for that choice vs Laundry... as we couldn't afford to take the risk and shrink the shirt as it was needed to be worn on the 2nd Formal Night) came back JUST OK... it was certainly clean, but the pressing job wasn't up to snuff for Mr Sloop (he said he could have done much better on his own)... and it wasn't nearly as good as what we'd get from a Drycleaner / Laundry Service at home.

Thought you might appreciate knowing these facts... BEFORE you commit anything to the hands of Celebrity's Laundry Services Group.

Cheers!

Since I currently do not have any of the levels mentioned in previous posts, what would it cost me for a bag of laundry as a newbie? Thanks. :)

To add to Sloop John-B's response above:

In our experience, it has been years since they offered "bag of laundry" pricing to everyone (other than Captain's Club members) except for end of trip specials which would return your clothing the last full day of the cruise.

When they have offered the special it has been either $29 or $39. Whenever we've done the bag special, with coupons or not, I've tallied up what the laundry would have cost us at the piece rates and the total would have been in the range of $45 to just over $50. Of course the bag of laundry pricing never included pressing and items are returned folded and in a sack. In contrast, items sent in at the piece rate were returned pressed and on hangers if it was appropriate for that type of item. While a $5 to $20 savings is great it isn't enough of a difference to change my decision whether or not to use the ship's laundry if needed, although when I have the bag specials I'll send in items I'm not sure if I'll need as opposed to only those I expect to need.

I believe that I read that in order for Select to get the discount laundry the cruise has to be 12 days or longer. Kim

Yes Kim you are correct on that one 12 nights or longer and it costs $20.00. We are on a 15 night Panama Canal in May and will use it for sure

And I am saying that we were select on a 12 night Med cruise on Solstice and the laundry special was NOT offered--so don't count on it!

That is surprising and I would have complained. The laundry discounts are a specific, published, benefit of being a member of Captains Club.

If you are select, then Celebrity's web site says you get:

Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items

One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at discounted price of $20 during cruises of 12 nights or longer

That is surprising and I would have complained. The laundry discounts are a specific, published, benefit of being a member of Captains Club.

If you are select, then Celebrity's web site says you get:

Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items

One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at discounted price of $20 during cruises of 12 nights or longer

Well, we did get the pressing coupons, but when I asked about the bag special, I was told it had been discontinued. Too late now! But I will be on the lookout on our next trip!

• 3 weeks later...
Since you are Select on Celebrity no need to worry about if there will be specials. Selects receive a coupon for a bag of laundry for a fixed price (I think it was $25, not 100% sure but certainly not more than $25). If your travel partner is also Select, you will each receive a coupon.

Just as a comparison, with HAL, at any level, the cost of a bag of laundry containing as many clothes (rolled-up), as one is able to 'stuff' into it costs $20! :) As well, with HAL, the corkage fee per bottle of wine is $18! :) I think that it is $25 per bottle with X! :(

Just as a comparison, with HAL, at any level, the cost of a bag of laundry containing as many clothes (rolled-up), as one is able to 'stuff' into it costs $20! :) As well, with HAL, the corkage fee per bottle of wine is $18! :) I think that it is $25 per bottle with X! :(

Great Points!

Saving $40 to $50 per cruise on laundry and corkage fees is a great reason to choose HAL over Celebrity.

Sorry we won't be seeing you on our future X cruises.

Although I didn't get my coupons when I boarded, when I finally realized they weren't there and got them I was thrilled to see that Elite on X now gets up to 30 items laundered free, instead of the 20 of the last 2 cruises. It was good except for the last 3 days and that's when I used it, but it was OK. I think they used to say that when they offered the end-of-cruise bag for $20. I didn't see an offer for that this time. I put in 19 items and two friends filled it up the rest of the way.

I had never used the laundry before June '09. On the flight to Barcelona my friend accidently spilled her OJ on my white capris. I tried to rinse them out in the hotel sink, to no avail. I found the plastic bag they were in on the 2nd day of the cruise and they were starting to mildew. :EEK: We filled up the laundry bag and it didn't cost much with my discount coupon. Now that I get it free, I use it every time.

Great Points!

Saving $40 to $50 per cruise on laundry and corkage fees is a great reason to choose HAL over Celebrity.

Sorry we won't be seeing you on our future X cruises.

Oh, don't be sorry! :D You will be seeing me on your future X cruises!;) I just won't be purchasing any overpriced alcoholic beverages or having any laundry done onboard! ;) Is there some particular reason(s) for your crytic post? :confused:

Oh, don't be sorry! :D You will be seeing me on your future X cruises!;) I just won't be purchasing any overpriced alcoholic beverages or having any laundry done onboard! ;) Is there some particular reason(s) for your crytic post? :confused:

Not sure what "crytic" means, sorry.

Sarcastic? Maybe, I guess that is my style. No one likes having to pay for anything but Celebrity's pricing comes part and parcel of their cruise package. It seems odd to me that for the sake of $50 or so that someone would alter their cruise behavior. Would you do your laundry on board, rather than forgoing this service, if the laundry prices were $30 less per cruise and would you take wine to the dining room if the corkage were $7 less?

Everyone has different prices. For example if you were going out to dinner at a restaurant and wanted to buy a bottle of wine would take a pass if the price of the wine was $7 higher than a restaurant you had dinner at a few weeks ago? Or would you refuse to order anything that costs more than the other restaurant?

Just to clarify, was on Infinity last month. As Platinum member we each got a coupon for a bag of laundry for $20. Elite got a coupon for 30 items free as well as the coupons for the $20 bag.

It's really not a good reason to choose one line over another...just a reason to pack better!:rolleyes:

Actually loved having the laundromat on Princess but...

Leaving soon on 2 week Infinity...wondering if Celebrity still offers 'bag of laundry' special? And if so, each week or only once during the cruise?:rolleyes:

Hope u get this! We will be doing a spring break and summer cruise this year!:D. Miss you guys!

Oh man, we always count on the "stuff the bag" laundry specials on every cruise line! Now I'm starting to worry because we are taking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice this May and I am determined not to over-pack. Guess I will take my travel laundry detergent and rely on good old elbow grease to wash my clothes in the cabin sink!

We just got off a 14 night sailing on the Infiinty. They didn't offer any discounts for laundry other than what came with the CC coupons. I found the prices were fairly reasonable though to launder or dry clean things. There were several items that I wanted laundered and pressed and I never was charged the additional cost of pressing the items.

Oh man, we always count on the "stuff the bag" laundry specials on every cruise line! Now I'm starting to worry because we are taking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice this May and I am determined not to over-pack. Guess I will take my travel laundry detergent and rely on good old elbow grease to wash my clothes in the cabin sink!

You can still have your laundry done without the bag of laundry coupon or special. As I indicated in my post above the cost difference is just $5 to $25 dollars and you have the additional benefit of having appropriate items pressed. While everyone's budget is different, I can't imagine this making a major impact on laundry and packing decisions given the aggregate costs of a Med cruise.

We just got off a 14 night sailing on the Infiinty. They didn't offer any discounts for laundry other than what came with the CC coupons. I found the prices were fairly reasonable though to launder or dry clean things. There were several items that I wanted laundered and pressed and I never was charged the additional cost of pressing the items.

The normal piece rate for laundry includes pressing of appropriate items like shirts (other than t-shirts) and slacks.

We are Elite, and both get the coupons for bag of laundry. The only problem is the quality of the job they do on laundry. I would not send anything that could be ruined by hot water washing. We usually just send things that do not matter so much, like underwear and socks. We have had clothes ruined with this service in the past. The dry cleaning service is fine, as is the pressing.

Vicki

It's just a thrill to see how much I can jam into the bag, LOL. Good to know the prices are reasonable. I never like having my clothes washed on a ship because they never smell that clean when they are finished. I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled by my Tide!

Archived