Tipping for excursions

Kjmathews

Depends upon their length and their quality.

The quality is most important for us. If the guide(s) were friendly and made the excursion safe and enjoyable, a tip was given. How much? That depends on my mood at the moment to be honest but it does tend to be a function of the excursion cost (higher cost, higher tip - all other things being equal).

If it was a good excursion and i felt the tour guide was good and made it more enjoyable $5-10pp

As others said it depends on the price of the excursion as to the amount % given

Usually 5 or 10 pp and once when the guide was super gave about 40 from Dw and I.

However when they beg for tips over nad over have been none to forget to tip.

Hi Stu.... a slightly off-topic question for you (I hope this post doesn't get deleted/moved): what did you decide for an excursion in DR on your cruise later this month? Or did you decide to stay on the boat??

Usually 5 or 10 pp and once when the guide was super gave about 40 from Dw and I.

However when they beg for tips over nad over have been none to forget to tip.

Just returned from Victory, we took two excursions, 5-star Turtle in Barbados and Shipwreck Snorkel in St. Thomas. The crew on the 5-star was outstanding, especially nice to my daughter. I threw $20 in the jar marked "Crew Retirement Fund", and ten to the one member who was really attentive and patient with my daughter (maybe he shared, maybe not).

On the Castaway Shipwreck, the crew was pretty good, and I was about to tip $20, again for 3 of us, when they made a speech about tipping and "suggested" that 10 - 20% of the excursion price was "appropriate". I found that a little offensive, and scaled it back a little to $15, just on principle.

Hi Stu.... a slightly off-topic question for you (I hope this post doesn't get deleted/moved): what did you decide for an excursion in DR on your cruise later this month? Or did you decide to stay on the boat??

Tentatively we will go to the Altoona artist colony but will depend upon the weather that day just might stay on the ship.

Most excursion guides will nicely suggest a tip if you enjoyed the tour. We have no problem giving $5 pp to the tour guide. The only time that the tipping thing was ever a problem was on our last cruise. We did the Twister boat to Passion Isle in Cozumel with Carnival. We tipped the boat drivers very well in addition to the bar servers on the Island. The problem was at the end of the tour with the "Island Hostess" ( she led us from the boat to the food area and pointed out where the restrooms were- this took all of about 1 minute) She told us a tip to her was expected. She got down right rude to a lot of folks. I had a few dollars ready to give to her as she was coming around to everyone that was waiting at the meeting point at the end of our excursion time. She actually had her hands out and was snapping her fingers to "cough-it-up". She was speaking in Spanish to one of the other workers not knowing that some of us dumb Americanos speak a little bit of Spanish and understood what she was saying. She was very rude to my husband and I and I'll be darned if I was going to give her anything after that. I ended up giving HER tip along with some extra to the very nice gentleman who was keeping the restrooms spotless during the entire day. He made sure to that there was always plenty of TP and paper towels to dry hands plus swept and mopped the floors from all of the beach sand. He was so friendly and nice, He deserved a tip, she did not after her sour attitude.

I usually give $5 pp - as there are 4 of us, that is $20. As others have said, it also depends on how good the excursion crew was. It could go less if the crew didn't meet our very relaxed expectations. (but never less than $10 total)

Ditto 5-10PP. However we we're on one excursion, Zip Line, and this younger teen helped us get monkey's and such for photo opp's.

He was so thrilled to get $10.00 from us 4 that he then told us to post on facebook on how good he was. Go Figure.:p He gave his name and everything. They learn young how to haggle.

Happy Sails

when traveling just dh & i and ...with my kids...i look at a few things to decide how much i tip (cruising or land based)

1st. the time and attention they pay to me and my family

2nd. how involved and knowledgeable are they.

3. did we have fun-was it kept entertaining?

4. did they do their job professionally and worthy of additional funds?

If yes, depending on the length and the size of the group depends on my tip.

the longer the excursion, the more i tip. the more hands on etc.

for example, when we did DRF, it was just dh & i-no kids. We were sandwiched in a long line of other people, and barely got any time with our guide. he got a couple of bucks from both of us.

we went zip lining in montego bay-excellent excursion-very knowledgeable staff, felt very safe-they were entertaining-small group of about 8-10 of us. we tipped 5-6 each.

in costa rica, took a horseride-just the two of us, no one else but our guide and we tipped him $40 for about a 3-4 hour ride.

when i travel with my kids, i tip for them as well, but usually on average a couple of bucks per person on average for a good time.

i hope this helps some.

Archived