Which of the Mayan Ruins?

BobKat406

We are going to be visiting Cozumel in April and we would like to visit the Mayan ruins. We have never been to any so I'm asking for opinions from those who have visited which ones would be the best to see? I believe the cruise line has an excursion for Tulum and one for Chichen Itza. I've also seen discussions on San Gervasio.

Thanks in advance!

I have been to both Tulum and Chichen Itza, the former on a cruise ship excursion, the latter on a day trip from Cancun.

If the cruise line is offering a trip to Chichen Itza, I just can't imagine how long that trip must be. The trip to Tulum from Cozumel was a total of 5-6 hours and Tulum is much closer than Chichen Itza.

The two ruins are very different experiences. I found Tulum to be spectacular as it is the only major ruin located on the water. Chichen Itza is much larger, but I would do Tulum for its natural beauty and opportunity to still have some time to explore Cozumel when you get back.

DR - yes the Chichen Itza tour is 10 hours. They stated that its 6 hours of travel time. Tulum is 6 hours. We do want to have more time in Cozumel. Tulum sounds like the place to go.

Thank you!

Definitely. I think 6 hours of travel time to Chichen Itza on a cruise tour would be really hard to take. We did the Tulum tour and really enjoyed it but it was a long day of travel. I can't imagine doing longer than that on a cruise ship tour. Save Chichen Itza for a time where you might come back and do a land vacation. Also, Tulum is right on the coast so the setting is absolutely beautiful. We had a great tour guide so learned so much about the Mayan culture and this particular site.

I will give you a little warning though. It is very, very, very hot there. I live in Southern California and have lived in Arizona so I know hot. Be sure and take plenty of bottled water, wear sunscreen and if you have a sensitivity at all to the heat you might consider a hat as well. Just want you to be prepared:)

Choloed - My mom lives in Apple Valley, CA and I got married in Las Vegas in July (120 degrees). Thanks for the tip because my husband is sensitive to the heat and I will make sure he has a hat, we have plenty of sunscreen and water. I don't think we could handle the 6 hours travel either. We will probably due Tulum as I haven't heard any reason why we shouldn't.

Choloed - My mom lives in Apple Valley, CA and I got married in Las Vegas in July (120 degrees). Thanks for the tip because my husband is sensitive to the heat and I will make sure he has a hat, we have plenty of sunscreen and water. I don't think we could handle the 6 hours travel either. We will probably due Tulum as I haven't heard any reason why we shouldn't.

Chichen Itza would be my choice, it is a lovley site. Not sure if you've been to that part of the world before, but 120 in vegas and 90 on central america are totally different. It is just a humid, oppresive, crushing heat from a sun much stronger than you're used to. Sunblock and TONS of water.:)

Tulum (and Chichen Itza) are very hot and there is little (though some) shade at Tulum. The saving grace is that there is usually a nice breeze at Tulum and the air is not stagnant. I actually found it to be one of the more pleasant spots on our Western Caribbean cruise due to those attributes (believe it or not, Key West was by far the most stifling heat and humidity and stagnant air combo I had ever experienced).

We stayed at an AI a few years back in Playa del Carmen and flew into Chichen Itza. I know that the plane we took had passengers from a cruise ship off Cozumel before we were picked up. Not sure of the cruise ship. We left Playa del Carmen at about 9 am, flew to the ruins, had a great tour (before the crowds arrived) and flew back to Playa del Carmen for lunch. Not sure if this is still available but it was one of the highlights of any tour I have had. The price was a little more than a bus excursion, but the advantages of not being gone all day on a bus and seeing things from a few hundred feet from the air were awsome. The pilot even flew around the ruins a couple of times for some picture taking. It might be worth looking into. The ruins are something I'll never forget. The plane arrived about 3 hours before any of the bus excursions which made it easier to see everything without the crowds. And believe me, the place gets REAL crowded by noon. I also remember that there is a one hour time difference in Chichen Itza. 9 am in Cozumel is only 8 am in Chichen Itza.

Definitely go with Tulum, it's a wonderful site being right on the water with nice views and it is also quite interesting. San Gervasio is small and not impressive. Haven't been to Chichen Itza yet, I've heard it's really impressive but too much travel time to be going there from Cozumel.

Chichen Itza would be my choice, it is a lovley site. Not sure if you've been to that part of the world before, but 120 in vegas and 90 on central america are totally different. It is just a humid, oppresive, crushing heat from a sun much stronger than you're used to. Sunblock and TONS of water.:)

This is an incredible site, BUT if you are going by bus (and I am guessing you are), then you will get there tired, hot and the heat will be at it's worst.

dh and I took a plane through a tour company. we were there in 45 minutes - by the time we were done the tours were arriving. People looked zonked and they hadn't even started :eek:

If you can do some type of private tour with plane - then I would do it.

Otherwise, although it is incredible and outstanding, I would do Tulum. you will not be able to appreciate the beauty if you are exhausted.

JMO:)

• 4 weeks later...

Do they offer the Coba tour? We've been to Tulum and Chichen Itza and Coba was by far our favorite...wouldnt even be close now that Chichen Itza is closed to climbing. Much less crowded than Tulum and you can climb the highest pyramid in the Yucatan.

coba1.jpg

coba2.jpg

coba3.jpg

coba4.jpg

Archived