Can you "wing it" in Belize?

JMHAM1

We have about 25 days until our cruise and we have nothing planned for Belize. We were going to "wing it" but everyone says Belize is not safe. It may be people who have never been anywhere outside of midwestern USA who thinks this.

Can someone give me the real scoop? Please compare safety to something real like New Orleans outside the French Quarter after midnight or something like that.

We were going to zipline but DH is not fond of heights and he is a bit over the size limits. We are also not divers and we are doing the snorkel in Roatan.

None of the ship's tours are ringing my bell which is why we were thinking of winging it. Open to suggestions! Thanks in advance!

We are big on winging it but after three trips to Belize I would have to recommend an organized tour. There is not much to see or do in town unless you like to be pestered by vendors.

As for safety? On our first trip we were stopped twice by armed guards because someone was demonstrating against the government and had trashed a bridge going out of town. I also noticed that many houses were surrounded by rock walls with broken glass imbedded in the top and also had bars on the windows.

The up side is: This is an excellent place to snorkel and one of the very few places where you can go cavetubing. If you have never went cavetubing, it should be on your list of "must do's". Another plus is the pharmacy. I saw Viagara listed 30 pills for $90 or 1 pill for $4. Now that is a bargain anywhere.;)

We will cruise to Belize in about 2 weeks. We plan to take a city tour and the Belikin Brewery Tour. After this, time allowing, we plan to wander a bit and head off to try a traditional belizean meal at a local retaurant in town. Getting of the beaten tourist path has always been fine with us, like anywhere else, just gotta be cautious. 99% of the time we find the fear factor is over-rated.

First off--I have spent time in Belize (not on a ship) and it is a fine, central american city. It's not HMC, it's a city. But it's probably no more dangerous than Miami. People get all freaked out if they are not in a cruiseship made safezone sometimes.

That said--I would take a tour. Reason being, there is just not that much to see in walking distance from the pier. Some street food, a little culture and some shopping, but the ruins/snorkle/river etc are all a little ways away and just for the sake of ease I would do a tour.

Archived