Very sad, Penn Camera bankrupt, has closed most stores

Turtles06

If you live anywhere in the DC-area and are interested in photography, no doubt you've heard of, and I suspect patronized, Penn Camera, which has been around for about 60 years and is one of the few remaining dedicated camera/photogrphy stores in the area. They have 8 locations, and I've always found their staff to be knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I've been a customer for years and have bought DSLRs from them, as well as lenses, point and shoots, and other assorted equipment.

So I was shocked and saddened to open the Washington Post this morning and learn that they have just filed for bankruptcy and have immediately closed five of their stores. I went by the shop I usually patronize and indeed it's all closed up.

I am sad that people have lost their jobs, I am sad that I did not get to say goodbye to them and thank them. And I am sad that the internet and big box stores are destroying these businesses. When you are looking for a camera or lens, you want to try them, hold them, talk to someone who knows what he or she is sellling. You don't get that at Best Buy, or on line. You did get it at Penn Camera.

Thanks, Penn Camera. I will miss you. :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/penn-camera-files-for-bankruptcy-as-retail-shake-up-continues/2012/01/04/gIQA20ZPbP_story.html

Back in SoCal I never had a really good camera store near me. The only one in the area is gone and when it was open I didn't patronize it much. Not because of the internet, but because if you didn't shoot with Nikon, they really didn't have much to say to you. There is another one about 30 miles away that is still hanging in there. I would drive the extra distance because they treated everybody well and tried to maintain samples of all but the really exotic cameras and lenses to try before buying.

I guess alternatives like next-day shipping, forums where you can get honest opinions and sites that do comprehensive testing make driving more than a few minutes to places like that too much of a drain on our increasingly busy lives. Only a few that have always been big in mail order have made it through the internet revolution alive.

Sad...like Kodak. Evolve or die.

Dave

It is sad. I have purchased all of my camera equipment from the Penn store in Rockville, MD. Yes, I could have gotten it cheaper from an an internet store, but I relished the local contacts and assistance. A sad day. :(

Larry

I also have spent a lot of money at Penn Camera, and truly will miss them. Hopefully they will be able to keep the three remaining stores open.

There is another alternative for those in NVA, there is a small shop in Burke (don't recall the name offhand) that I have done business with, it's address is 6025 Burke Center Parkway, Burke VA. You might Google it and see if it would work for you.

Cheers,

I also have spent a lot of money at Penn Camera, and truly will miss them. Hopefully they will be able to keep the three remaining stores open.

There is another alternative for those in NVA, there is a small shop in Burke (don't recall the name offhand) that I have done business with, it's address is 6025 Burke Center Parkway, Burke VA. You might Google it and see if it would work for you.

Cheers,

Thanks for the Burke info. There's also Pro Photo on I Street in DC, and Ritz (for some reason, I've never liked Ritz as much as Penn Camera).

As for Penn Camera's other three stores -- they will be having a clearance sale. I suspect they are moving all their inventory to those stores to sell it out, and then those stores will be gone. Just my best guess based on what they said about the sale, and the failure to say anything about plans to keep those stores open. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Just my best guess based on what they said about the sale, and the failure to say anything about plans to keep those stores open. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

The good folks at the Rockville store were very quite and had no information on the subject.

Larry

Sad thing to see.

The camera store in my local town went out of business a couple of years ago. Oddly enough, the owner is now working at Best Buy in their camera department.

We have one camera store in the area that is still in business and they have two stores - the closest one is about 20 miles away, so I don't get there every day, but it is close enough if I really need to go there.

They do a fairly good internet business and I think that is the only reason they are still open.

OMG, I had no idea. I love these stores and have taken many,many courses through them. I'll have to check and see what stores remain. I was just at the Rockville store on Christmas Eve and there was no signs of a problem.

It is such a shame, because they were the only local stores that had knowledegable salespeople, a great selection of parts and supplies, and great classes. For someone like me, who loves to take pictures, but is far from a professional, I really depended on Penn Camera- especially hands-on knowledge.

I'm glad to see Rockville is still open, I'll have to go check their sales- I really hope they won't close too.

I'm so sad :(

Ah, the demise of the local specialty store, photo stores are for better or worst a dying breed. Only in the very largest markets can with a huge and faithfuly customer base can they hope to survive. Volume are a must to pay the rent, insurance, inventory interest etc. etc.

In this age you get the big box common denominator store or internet store.

If you got a good local store support it! I find myself pretty lucky with three good stores, one an independent and the other two chains. I find when I shop for the hot item often my local store price is similar and in most cases had things like that were out of stock at B&H and Adorama.

Stopped by the Tysons store today and picked up a couple of things I had been wanting. No really fabulous sales, but they did have 20% on all bags, including Think Tank. Talked with one of the clerks, and it appears they are going to try and keep the three remaining stores open.

The only way that is going to happen is if you shop there.

Cheers,

Stopped by the Tysons store today and picked up a couple of things I had been wanting. No really fabulous sales, but they did have 20% on all bags, including Think Tank. Talked with one of the clerks, and it appears they are going to try and keep the three remaining stores open.

The only way that is going to happen is if you shop there.

Cheers,

Really wish I could afford a new lens they have that I have my eye on. Unfortunately, my bank account isn't cooperating right now. I have spent quite a few dollars there in the past though (and hopefully will again soon).

Archived