Anchorage to Whittier - Rail or Shuttle?

klmorg

WWYD? After our land tour up to Denali, we're staying one night pre-cruise in downtown Anchorage not far from the RR terminal. It seems like a no-brainer to take to rail to Whittier, other than being a little pricier than a shuttle. Those who have experience here, what are your thoughts?

P.S. Don't care to do the cruiseline transfers or one-way car rental.

Will you have been along Turnagain Arm and been able to stop along the way? The train won't allow that but a shuttle might. Are you planning on taking a highly-acclaimed PWS tour? Which mode gets you in Whittier in time for that?

Too bad you are not considering the car rental. It is a simple 1+ hour trip with lots of touring/sightseeing options and most likely won't cost much more than the train for two people - same price or cheaper if more than two people (and the Avis office is right downtown Anchorage).

Actually, there isn't much difference between the train and the shuttle (I've taken the train and driven my own vehicle) on this route, because the train parallels the road. Some people find a company that may also do a tour of the Wildlife Conservation Area or Portage Glacier.

Susan in Anchorage :)

It doesn't matter as already noted, the transits are parallel to each other with the same view.

However, I do suggest you consider a boat tour out of Whittier prior to boarding ths crusie ship. WAY superior glacier viewing compared to your ship sailing and an excellent opportunity to take advantage of. Don't be in any rush to board the ship, enjoy Alaska- may be something you want to consider.

Most people who take the regularly scheduled train to Whittier in the summer are connecting to one of the great day cruises. Otherwise, there is very little to keep one busy in Whittier other than some great fish and chips at the Swiftwater Cafe :)

We took the train to Whittier, met a great couple that we sat with on the train, then ended up being table mates on the glacier viewing boat by major marine tours and had an awesome day! We boarded the ship around 6:30-7. We wanted to take advantage of every opportunity to see everything in Alaska. The ship was not our focus, so we were not anxious to get on it! First time we lost weight on a cruise!! Spent 5 days on land renting an RV and then the 7 day cruise--what an awesome trip!!! I wish we could have spent a month exploring Alaska on land! I know we will be back!! :)

We took the train--booked it through Alaska RR and so got there early. I much prefer riding the train over a motor coach. I think it is more comfortable. Also, you are able to walk around, get a drink, etc. and you don't have to wait for the tunnel. We were going to book a pws cruise, but decided to relax in Whittier instead. We walked around the very small port, took pictures, enjoyed a few drinks, and then boarded before the big rush. It was nice and relaxing before all the activities started.

It doesn't matter as already noted, the transits are parallel to each other with the same view.

However, I do suggest you consider a boat tour out of Whittier prior to boarding ths crusie ship. WAY superior glacier viewing compared to your ship sailing and an excellent opportunity to take advantage of. Don't be in any rush to board the ship, enjoy Alaska- may be something you want to consider.

Budget Queen- are there any companies you can recommend for this? I'm currently researching our options for getting to Whittier from Anchorage and was leaning towards a car rental or shuttle for our party of 5 so that we could board our ship early (around noon time) but I would be very interested in learning more about this option.

Many thanks in advance.

Budget Queen- are there any companies you can recommend for this? I'm currently researching our options for getting to Whittier from Anchorage and was leaning towards a car rental or shuttle for our party of 5 so that we could board our ship early (around noon time) but I would be very interested in learning more about this option.

Many thanks in advance.

There are only two companies now that do PWS tours. Both are excellent. Your choice would depend on which route you want and if you have any discount coupons.

There are only two companies now that do PWS tours. Both are excellent. Your choice would depend on which route you want and if you have any discount coupons.

Actually no, there are more, but the two mentioned above are the cheaper options, Phillips and Major Marine.

I'm planning on going with Sound Eco this August/Sept.

Many thanks in advance.

In Alaska I am never in any rush to get on a cruiseship, and never do so before evening.

A boat tour of Prince William Sound is spectacular and superb glacier viewing. Some varied wildlife is also seen. These views are FAR superior to anything seen from a cruise ship.

Actually no, there are more, but the two mentioned above are the cheaper options, Phillips and Major Marine.

I'm planning on going with Sound Eco this August/Sept.

True there are several small boat operators. However, Sound Eco is only doing full-day photo tours this year, no glacier tours as in the past. You will be in for a treat though. Having done it last year, it ended up being much more like the longer Kenai Fjords tours than the typical PWS tour (more wildlife-centered).

In Alaska I am never in any rush to get on a cruiseship, and never do so before evening.

A boat tour of Prince William Sound is spectacular and superb glacier viewing. Some varied wildlife is also seen. These views are FAR superior to anything seen from a cruise ship.

And there's plenty of time to do this boat tour in PWS and still get to Whittier for boarding in plenty of time for sail away?

If so, you've definitely given our group another option to think seriously about, and I thank you!

And there's plenty of time to do this boat tour in PWS and still get to Whittier for boarding in plenty of time for sail away?

If so, you've definitely given our group another option to think seriously about, and I thank you!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!! From the tour boats, you walk 10 minutes and board your cruise ship. The PWS boat tours, are out of Whittier. If you take the train, your luggage is transfered to the ship for you. Be certain to have them properly tagged.

What is PWS short for? (Never mind, I got it - Prince William Sound).

I'm enjoying this thread. If there's one interesting piece of advice I've already filed away is not worrying about rushing to board the ship. Since all my previous cruises were more about the cruise, we always rushed to get to the terminal as soon as it opened.

True there are several small boat operators. However, Sound Eco is only doing full-day photo tours this year, no glacier tours as in the past. You will be in for a treat though. Having done it last year, it ended up being much more like the longer Kenai Fjords tours than the typical PWS tour (more wildlife-centered).

My husband and I are booked on an Alaska cruise in Sept. 2012 and spending an extra night in Alaska pre flight home. We would love to do a photo tour for a day, but when I checked Sound Eco I was disappointed to find he is limiting his tours and can't seem to check any times etc. Do you have more info. you can provide?

My husband and I are booked on an Alaska cruise in Sept. 2012 and spending an extra night in Alaska pre flight home. We would love to do a photo tour for a day, but when I checked Sound Eco I was disappointed to find he is limiting his tours and can't seem to check any times etc. Do you have more info. you can provide?

Looks like he hasn't set his 2012 schedule yet. Lots of little business owners up here (especially in the tourist trade) work really hard all summer and then scale back for the winter.

His website says the following -

TOUR INFORMATION

This link (http://www.soundecoadventure.com/photography.html will give you an idea of my philosophy for running photo tours the past few years. For 2012, my intention will be to conduct weekly, scheduled tours of one to three days in length.

This link shows what he was charging last year and how long the various tours ran and when they ran.

I'd just email him just to see when he thinks he's going to open his 2012 bookings.

Looks like he hasn't set his 2012 schedule yet. Lots of little business owners up here (especially in the tourist trade) work really hard all summer and then scale back for the winter.

His website says the following -

TOUR INFORMATION

This link (http://www.soundecoadventure.com/photography.html will give you an idea of my philosophy for running photo tours the past few years. For 2012, my intention will be to conduct weekly, scheduled tours of one to three days in length.

This link shows what he was charging last year and how long the various tours ran and when they ran.

I'd just email him just to see when he thinks he's going to open his 2012 bookings.

Thanks very much Susan I will check back later, guess everyone in Alaska is in hibernation mode right now, I had to check with the hotel too as their bookings didn't go beyond the beginning of Sept.

Thanks very much Susan I will check back later, guess everyone in Alaska is in hibernation mode right now, I had to check with the hotel too as their bookings didn't go beyond the beginning of Sept.

Actually right now Whittier is blocked off from the world. We had avalanches along the Seward Highway on Tuesday and they didn't open the world to noon yesterday and then today the road to there is closed because of the snowstorm we're currently happening!

Working our way to over 7 feet of snow since October 30th.

Archived