never cruised with kids. will they be bored?

girlsjustwannacruise

We haven't cruised with Carnival but I can reassure you that your children won't be bored! Our children have sailed with us on P&O (Carnival group) and Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and absolutely loved it. How can anyone be bored on a cruise ship?

Please let me reassure you they will have the time of their lives. It is a perfect family holiday, the clubs enable your children to meet other children the same age straight away and the ports don't give time for anyone to get bored.

I would however like to recommend that you lay down some ground rules before you sail about what they can and can't do. They are now at an age where they will be able to sign in and out of club so particularly with the nine year old how much freedom do you want to give? Our son was 9 in the summer so had signing in and out priviledges for the first time on Celebrity (but you have to give permission for this and can restrict it to certain times). He was allowed to sign out of club to get an icecream or drink from the buffet but then had to go straight back (if he chose to go to club) and so we knew exactly where he was. He was not allowed to wander the decks and did not have signing in and out priviledges at night unless doing a treasure hunt as part of an organised activity.

With the older one especially do you want to make the cabin out of bounds for him to bring back others or not? Will there be an agreed time at night they need to be back to the cabin? You can phone your cabin from anywhere on the ship if needed. You could have a post it or note system so they can let you know where they are (or you can say where you are!) in the cabin in case of problems.

I hope this helps. :)

I would very much doubt that your kids would be bored. Do they like swimming? The beach? Playing or hanging out with other kids their age? Then they won't be bored. Also, the excursions you pick can be lots of fun as well. I don't have Camp Carnival capers, but you can do a google search and find some samples.

Jo and Rob have great ideas (above).

If they are bored, tell them to read a book!:)

Seriously when they are packing, add in a book & tell them that it is being packed for when they complain about being bored.

If they are readers anyway - then they can join the rest of the readers on the cruise ship.

two boys. ages 9 and 14-turning 15 on the cruise. will they be bored? does anyone have a copy of camp carnival activity schedule for the facination? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No they wont be. I cruised last year with my family (7,9,12) and asked them what they wanted to do and they voted for a cruise over a vacation in Virginia with six flags. Some pointers.....

1. Get them enrolled in camp carnival the first day. That way they can met friends and decide if they would like to go. My oldest joined later but made a good friend and then always asked to go back to the camp. The younger ones where more shy and didnt go but when they realized how much fun my oldest was having they regretted not going.

2. Depending on how you trust them to be independent, get walkie talkies on the ship so you can keep in touch. Cell phones will be too expensive. But pleease remind them its for communicating with you and not for playing and annoying others with "Can you here me now?" games.)

3. There are only about 3 or 4 tv channels so dont plan on tv to entertain. But who'd want their child watching tv on a cruise? Children can swim, play minigolf, pingpong, and shuffle board on most cruises. Also you could bring some handheld games but not ones that need internet connection unless you wan to play extra.

Hope this helps.

Every child is different but depending on size of ship and destination and time traveled there should be lots of options.

During traditional school holiday tons of kids on the larger ships going to vacation destinations with packed clubs with lots of activities for all age groups. There is the pool and arcade and food galore and sports courts and other stuff outside of the clubs ( rock climbing, wave riding, water slides, etc. ) It took one of my three lots of time to start enjoying some of the clubs so it could be YMMV. It also took them sometime but now also a highlight is the eating the 3 sit down meals.

Insure that you also like the ports and get age appropriate stuff for them there.

two boys. ages 9 and 14-turning 15 on the cruise. will they be bored? does anyone have a copy of camp carnival activity schedule for the facination? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not at all!! I started cruising when I was 8 years-old on one of the first Carnival ships and now I cruise with my kids. They absolutely LOVE it. Its one of the most family friendly vacations because there is something for everyone and you can pick and choose your activities based on your interests so everyone is happy.

Archived