Weight Gain

cruiserguy11

Obsessing about weight is a girl thing, period. Cruise or no cruise.

That's a pretty general wide assumption. You don't near anywhere near every man in the US... perhaps you speak more for yourself and your peers.

Both my husband and I had to learn, as adults, portion control, eating for fuel not emotion and how to identify quality food choices. It took a combination of extensive therapy, weight loss management education through our hospital and over a year of daily journaling our food. We literally had to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. Mindful eating and monitoring the scale are just some of the ways we keep ourselves on track.

That's a pretty general wide assumption. You don't near anywhere near every man in the US... perhaps you speak more for yourself and your peers.

Both my husband and I had to learn, as adults, portion control, eating for fuel not emotion and how to identify quality food choices. It took a combination of extensive therapy, weight loss management education through our hospital and over a year of daily journaling our food. We literally had to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. Mindful eating and monitoring the scale are just some of the ways we keep ourselves on track.

Leading a sensible, healthy lifestyle (as you appear to be doing) isn't what I'd call obsessing. I guess it's a subjective issue. :)

I'm glad you've got it sorted. It ain't easy. :(

There are some men and some women who do not have to be concerned about their weight. This discussion is not really for them or about them.

There are some men and some women who MUST worry about their weight.

If you don't understand what I am talking about, then you probably are the former and not the later.

I am sure this is not the place to explain it, but there are differences.

Amen...like....alot.

On our last 2 cruises, I've lost weight. :rolleyes: Now, I'm dieting & exercizing, so that is to be expected. I've found if I avoid starches, never really cared for desserts anyway, used the stairs, kept portions small, used the "three bite rule" (if I've had 3 bites and I don't love it, I stop eating it) and drank all the foo-foo I wanted, I've lost a pound or two. Have even done the Chef's Table twice during this time! I'm sure I make up for the saved calories with the up-tick in booze, but it's vacation and you pick your battles!:D I feel that when I'm on vacation, I can let my hair down and indulge.:)

Something I do here at home and on the cruise is drink 16 ounces of water (2 cups) when I wake up in the morning before I eat or drink anything (even coffee). This ups your metabolism, you need to drink water anyway, and it's free! Have room service bring you 2 glasses of ice water with your room service coffee and breakfast snacks. Drink the 2 glasses first. Sounds like magic, but studies have shown that this works.

I ate whatever I wanted, including Chef's Table, Steakhouse, drinks and WCMC and I still fit in my skinny jeans. Start drinking water in the morning now and you will be ahead of the game.

Have a great cruise!!

I eat a lot but walk a lot so lately 3-4 lbs for a 7-8 day cruise.

ditto- 1-2 for a 4 day cruise (darn that WCMC!) I'm staying away from bedtime cookies this time & sticking with saltines. & I'm going to try the sugar-free deserts this time.

It's weird, but so far I haven't gained any weight on any of our cruises. By the time the cruise rolls around we're so accustomed to eating small meals it's hard for us to gorge ourselves. That and all the walking on the ship and at port and the pounds gained is zip.

Let's see how that holds up with the Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Bar :D

On my first cruise, I was in a 7 day food coma! It was a blurry haze full of warm chocolate melting cake, and chicken strips. I don't know exactly how much weight I gained, but I do know that my clothes didn't fit right afterward. I actually thought my clothes had shrunk due to the heat of the W. Caribbean in July! Silly me ;)

Something I do here at home and on the cruise is drink 16 ounces of water (2 cups) when I wake up in the morning before I eat or drink anything (even coffee). This ups your metabolism, you need to drink water anyway, and it's free! Have room service bring you 2 glasses of ice water with your room service coffee and breakfast snacks. Drink the 2 glasses first. Sounds like magic, but studies have shown that this works.

I ate whatever I wanted, including Chef's Table, Steakhouse, drinks and WCMC and I still fit in my skinny jeans. Start drinking water in the morning now and you will be ahead of the game.

Have a great cruise!!

Lots of great hints here and i think this is really good...you put it in words I need to hear..about it raising metabolism. Just heard somewhere else about asparatime and how it can hurt body and nerves..so may people live on pop..diet or regular..I really think getting water back as bev of choice can change us all...

My grandma drank no pop or soda as it were, only water, coffee in am and for headaches, 4 0z pony Coors beer..maybe 2 sixpacks a year aftyer working in veggie garden..LOL...and one , only one but pretty stiff bourbon a night and lived to 97.5 and was never fat..she ate to live..loved veggies and water...thanks..sarah

I gained 2 pounds in September. It's the first time I've gained weight on a cruise. On our first cruise I actually lost weight because I couldn't find anything to eat that I was crazy about. I've lost 20 pounds since August and would like to lose more so I'm constantly weighing myself. I'm unfortunate enough to have a condition that causes you to gain weight and develop insulin resistance. The main problem is that it causes infertility. The doctor said we'll have a better chance of having a child in the next few years if I lose some weight (which I've done and will continue to do).

Losing weight is hard to do, especially if you have the metabolism of a snail and you don't have access to a gym. I feel for all of the people out there who suffer with weight problems :)

Have a great cruise!!

From tic http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

So it can help....

Honestly, I typically don't gain anything on the cruise. However, I typically gain 3-5 lbs in the days after. It's usually gone within a week of the gain, but still can't figure out why I gain AFTER we get home. Still eating like I'm on a ship when I'm not as active I guess?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walking is the key. On my Hawaii cruise, it was 7 days on the ship and 3 days in Waikiki and very port intensive with tons of walking & activity. I only gained 1 lb in 10 days. I usually gain about 3-5 lbs on a typical 7 day Mexico cruise where I often don't even get off the ship in port and if I do it isn't for long. I eat sometimes 2 entrees a night and/or 2 appetizers etc. With the alcohol & I am eating a bunch more calories than I do at home plus the food is salty compared to my cooking at home which adds waterweight. I lose whatever I gain within a week though once I get back to my regimen.

We did Magic Trans Atlantic (16 days) and I did not gain weight!!

My stategy was:

Eat only when Hungry and Eat only the Things you Really Really Want. :D

Dont feel you have to eat all the sides at dinner if you dont Really Like them!!

Dont feel you have to eat Breadfast, Lunch, Dinner and 3000 snacks!:rolleyes:

The last cruise I lost weight cuz I came down with a cold and didn't have much appetite. I still walked and walked and walked, and then walked some more everyday. Me sit in a deck chair and do nothing for hours on end..I managed 90 minutes and then I needed to get up and do something......

The more you sit still and do nothing after eating the more you will gain...

The new ships are quite nice as they have the wrap around promenade!

First Cruise...lost 10 pounds

Second Cruise...lost 2 pounds

Third Cruise...lost 5 pounds

Fourth Cruise...lost 5 pound

My husband insists we hike the ship several times a day. End to end and top to bottom we walk. Upstairs and downstairs. Inside and outside. I end up walking a lot more during a cruise than I do at home. :p

The second cruise I hurt my knee while on the cruise as I twisted wrong. It swelled up pretty good so I didn't get as much walking in that trip.

The long legged very tall husband who eats everything that doesn't eat him first usually doesn't gain or lose weight on cruises.

I used to always gain 10-15 pounds until I lost 95 pounds and said never again.

What I do is drink the bottle of water every day in our cabin.alot of weight gain is water retention and from travelling as well being dehydrated.

eat alot of protein and skip the bread and pasta at dinner

dont do the buffet unless you eat lots of veggies

the treadmill at the gym onboard is your friend( I did 45 minutes walking fast or walked on the jogging track everyday)

good luck

I always watch what i eat and always try to make good choices and usually gain little to none! But my dh who is not more than 5lbs heavier than in HS eats all the time and eats anything and only gains 5-6lbs!:rolleyes: He also will be able to lose it in a few weeks! Sometimes I hate him!:D

Honestly, I typically don't gain anything on the cruise. However, I typically gain 3-5 lbs in the days after. It's usually gone within a week of the gain, but still can't figure out why I gain AFTER we get home. Still eating like I'm on a ship when I'm not as active I guess?

This is me. I didn't gain an ounce on our 14-night Panama Canal cruise even though I ate WAY more than usual. However, I gained 7 pounds in the two weeks after returning home. Granted, that included Christmas, but the biggest difference is activity level. I'm far more active on a cruise vacation than I am in my everyday life.

Archived