Weight Gain

cruiserguy11

I try to be at 195 lbs. when we leave home. I've made the "cruiser" weight for most of our recent cruises except for our last one when I was 198 when we left home.

We drive to the ports and back so have a few extra days of weight gain.

I'll gain 10 lbs on a 7 day cruise but on our last 15 day cruise I "only" gained 15 lbs.

I'm now on my diet again readying for our April cruises.

So ....... the question to the rest of you cruise nuts is ..........

How much do you gain on a 7 day cruise? Be truthful.

I have gained 12 lbs.

I have also managed to lose 4 lbs once.

It is a choice!

My goal recently is to stay even.... excercise during the day, take the stairs.. but enjoy a dessert or two!!

Catrin

5lbs up after the last 7 day cruise. BUT, my thoughts are if you get going on a good exercise regimen now, your metabolism will be cranked up and you won't gain as easily. I would try hard to exercise a little bit each day on your cruise too. I look at it like this, what's 30-45 min each day in the grand scheme of things? Not much! I started running 2 miles each day and although I gained 3 lbs over the holidays, because of the exercise, my body has never looked better!!

On a week vacation where I'm eating what I want, I usually gain 2-5 lbs. It really depends how much I eat on the ship. I'm a picky eater so I eat less when we eat on excursions because often there isn't a lot of choice.

I'm trying to lose weight now and I if I can keep my loss going for the next 12 weeks til we cruise, I'll consider it a free pass to gain a bit of it back while on the ship. I'm not giving up my WCMC when I only get to have it once a year!!!

It generally takes at least 3,500 extra calories to gain one pound of weight. So a person on, say, a maintenance 2,000 calorie diet would have to consume 5,500 calories per day to gain 7 pounds of legitimate weight on a 7 day cruise. Anyone eating that much is perhaps (a) obsessive; (b) trying to get their money's worth out of their cruise fare; © bulking up against a future famine. :p

Actually, it is possible to accumulate a considerable weight of fluids for a variety of reasons, but such weight gain is temporary. For that reason, it would be reasonable to wait a week before trying to compute how much "real" weight gain you have achieved.

I typically gain 2 lbs., which is quite reasonable, since I probably eat an excess 1000 calories per day. (At home my dessert is an occasional nonfat soy pudding, not a heaping plate of yummy bread pudding -- with lunch and with dinner!)

In all honesty, I generally end up losing about 10lbs. I walk so much more than I do at home when I am on the ship simply getting from point A to point B lol Not once have I gained weight on a cruise... that is how lethargic I am at home.

I never weigh myself when I return from any vacation and I am obsessed with diet:) What I do is - as soon as I return, I go on my diet right away next day, and then a week later - do my weigh in. I think a lot of the weight we gain on vacation is salt, water, etc... and if you catch it as soon as you come back, its easily lost again. I am wheat intolerant and think that helps on vacation as I dont eat all those breads and cakes which I think really pile on the lbs. Dont beat yourself up though, ENJOY vacations and just jump right back on the bandwagon when you get home. The danger point I think is when you come back, your stomach has stretched and you can fall into the "eat more" scenario very easily... thats why I dont do a weigh in for a week, and just resolve to get back to normal asap after the vacation.

I lost 50lbs in under three months last year - and went on a mega vacation - pleased to say I gained only 4lbs throughout the year, and am back on target weight now:)

I gained about 4ish lbs on my 7-day cruise. This was my first cruise but I'm pretty small to begin with. I ate A LOT. Now, almost a month later, I have gained a few more pounds and it's time to get it off. By honestly, it was totally worth it! Burgers, hot dogs, fries, pizza and ice cream at 11 p.m?! Only on a cruise...so enjoy it & don't worry!

It generally takes at least 3,500 extra calories to gain one pound of weight. So a person on, say, a maintenance 2,000 calorie diet would have to consume 5,500 calories per day to gain 7 pounds of legitimate weight on a 7 day cruise. Anyone eating that much is perhaps (a) obsessive; (b) trying to get their money's worth out of their cruise fare; © bulking up against a future famine. :p

Actually, it is possible to accumulate a considerable weight of fluids for a variety of reasons, but such weight gain is temporary. For that reason, it would be reasonable to wait a week before trying to compute how much "real" weight gain you have achieved.

I typically gain 2 lbs., which is quite reasonable, since I probably eat an excess 1000 calories per day. (At home my dessert is an occasional nonfat soy pudding, not a heaping plate of yummy bread pudding -- with lunch and with dinner!)

Haha, I'd be shocked if I DIDN'T eat 5500 calories a day onboard. I think I'd be in the 'preparing for a famine' catagory:)

I didn't gain any weight on my last cruise. I only ate the 3 meals (with the exception of some ice cream!) because I can't just constantly eat - I get full and need hours to get rid of that feeling. I may have consumed most of my calories with all the fru-fru drinks, but did a lot of walking.

Now, in the last several months, I've been exercising and have lost close to 20 pounds. I'm hoping to hit the gym on the ship - at least 3 days of my 7 days, because I don't want to gain any of those pounds back!

My very athletic daughter who is obsessed with going to the gym every day gained 15 pounds last cruise! Chocolate melting cake with 2 scoops of ice cream every night, plus all the alcohol, did her in! She had every intention of going to the gym on the ship regularly, but only went once. She's hoping to do better when we go at the end of this month!

This will probably sound chauvinistic, but obsessing about weight gain while on a cruise seems to be more of a girl thing than a guy thing. Even though I could probably stand to lose a few pounds, I don't stress over weight gain and loss like my wife does.When she's on a diet, I'm on a diet, whether I want to be or not. When we're on a cruise, as far as I'm concerned, it's "eat, drink, and be merry". Put the diet on hold until vacation is over, then pick up where you left off.

That's all well and good for food, but you also need to consider the calorific content in the drinks...

This will probably sound chauvinistic, but obsessing about weight gain while on a cruise seems to be more of a girl thing than a guy thing. Even though I could probably stand to lose a few pounds, I don't stress over weight gain and loss like my wife does.When she's on a diet, I'm on a diet, whether I want to be or not. When we're on a cruise, as far as I'm concerned, it's "eat, drink, and be merry". Put the diet on hold until vacation is over, then pick up where you left off.

Obsessing about weight is a girl thing, period. Cruise or no cruise.

Bring on them hamburers. :)

Obsessing about weight is a girl thing, period. Cruise or no cruise.

Bring on them hamburers. :)

Not at all true. My husband is very concerned about his weight, while I don't give a crap about mine. He watches what he eats, counts calories, works out, etc. If my pants start to feel tight then I cut out a couple of beers a day. He is far more obsessive than any woman I have known. Half the men I worked with when I was active duty were the same way.

Not at all true. My husband is very concerned about his weight, while I don't give a crap about mine. He watches what he eats, counts calories, works out, etc. If my pants start to feel tight then I cut out a couple of beers a day. He is far more obsessive than any woman I have known. Half the men I worked with when I was active duty were the same way.

These men are evidently happily in touch with their feminine side. :D

I try to be at 195 lbs. when we leave home. I've made the "cruiser" weight for most of our recent cruises except for our last one when I was 198 when we left home.

We drive to the ports and back so have a few extra days of weight gain.

I'll gain 10 lbs on a 7 day cruise but on our last 15 day cruise I "only" gained 15 lbs.

I'm now on my diet again readying for our April cruises.

So ....... the question to the rest of you cruise nuts is ..........

How much do you gain on a 7 day cruise? Be truthful.

Lately on the mass market lines I lose between 1 and 3 lbs a week,, just like at home. Keep up the exercise, and eat reasonably and it is no big deal.

There are some men and some women who do not have to be concerned about their weight. This discussion is not really for them or about them.

There are some men and some women who MUST worry about their weight.

If you don't understand what I am talking about, then you probably are the former and not the later.

I am sure this is not the place to explain it, but there are differences.

Archived