Help!! Left jewelry in safe on Carnival Liberty

esmiralda

I just got off the Carnival Liberty in Miami this morning after a wonderful week in the Western Caribbean. I just realized after unpacking that I left my jewelry in the safe in my cabin.

I called Carnival right away, but was told that guest care services is closed for the weekend and I need to call back on Monday at 8:30. I did send an e-mail to guestcare@carnival.com, but I assume no one will see it until Monday. I spoke to someone at Carnival and she verified my name and cabin number, but also said that there was nothing to be done until Monday.

Any other suggestions?? The ship won't be in port until Monday, so I guess I'm out of luck until then. It's going to be a long weekend.

I just got off the Carnival Liberty in Miami this morning after a wonderful week in the Western Caribbean. I just realized after unpacking that I left my jewelry in the safe in my cabin.

I called Carnival right away, but was told that guest care services is closed for the weekend and I need to call back on Monday at 8:30. I did send an e-mail to guestcare@carnival.com, but I assume no one will see it until Monday. I spoke to someone at Carnival and she verified my name and cabin number, but also said that there was nothing to be done until Monday.

Any other suggestions?? The ship won't be in port until Monday, so I guess I'm out of luck until then. It's going to be a long weekend.

Call the ship.

Shore-to-Ship Communication

Friends and family may call guests on board via Sea Mobile Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

1-877-CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) – from the U.S

1-732-335-3284 - from outside the U.S

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard; Visa; American Express; The Discover Card; Diner's Club.

How awful,

You must feel sick. I certainly hope the next person in your cabin is an honest one, and Carnival can get your jewelry back to you. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please let us know how this turns out.

If the safe was left locked the next passenger will not be able to open it and they have have contact the guest services onboard to open it and they have to record the opening of the safe in their paperwork. So, hopefully there will be a paper trail of who opened it and the results. I think the shore to ship calling is your best bet!

Hope everything turns out okay on Monday. I've read here that only certain staff, such as Security or an Officer, has the authority and ability to open a cabin safe left locked. Not to say that your steward would be dishonest.

i hope you find your jewelry...hopefully if anyone finds it they will do the right thing.

good luck and keep us posted how CCL handles it.

i just read a thread with something very similar to your situation on the boards, sadly it didn't turn out good for the OP. I hope your ending is better.

Sorry that you left you jewelery on board.

I find it funny that I hear a dozen stories like this for every one that I hear about something taken from a cabin. Makes you think twice about suing the safe.

Do you still have a "fun times" from your cruise, does it have a phone number you were to call if missing the ship in port?

I would try to call that number, maybe it goes to the ship and you will get someone that way.

The numbers for contact on the bottom of the Fun Times are for the 'port' agents for pax to contact if they are running late in the ports.

The OP's best bet would be to call the ship or wait until Monday.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses.

I spoke to Guest Care today, Monday, and they took a report and told me it could be as long as two or three weeks before I hear from them one way or the other due to the amount of reports of this nature. I chose not to call the ship as suggested by a few of you, but I didn't realize it could take so long to know one way or the other if the jewelry was found.

How complicated is it to make the call and do you think they will be able to help me any sooner?

Thanks everyone in advance. I have been greatly relieved by all your responses.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses.

I spoke to Guest Care today, Monday, and they took a report and told me it could be as long as two or three weeks before I hear from them one way or the other due to the amount of reports of this nature. I chose not to call the ship as suggested by a few of you, but I didn't realize it could take so long to know one way or the other if the jewelry was found.

How complicated is it to make the call and do you think they will be able to help me any sooner?

Thanks everyone in advance. I have been greatly relieved by all your responses.

The reason they say 2-3 weeks is because from when you left the ship to it being found turned in etc the ship is already in turn around mode and any home office stuff has been sent off from the previous sailing {before yours}.

Therefore anything from your sail date sits on the ship until it's home port return before it is sent to the home office.

I suppose it would not hurt to contact the ship guest service manager/ hotel manager not just anyone who answers the phone.

You could go down near the pier and post reward signs on all the telephone poles. If you do this, print your phone number on the margin of the page over and over and use a pair of scissors to cut between each one. This will make it easier for people to tear off your phone number and call you.

I don't remember if the safe was locked. I did remove our passports the night before disembarking. I just don't remember if I locked the safe with the jewelry in it.

I also can't understand why someone can't just e-mail the ship and get this information. I do understand that there must be dozens of reports like this for each cruise, but still, in this day and age, I just really don't understand the long delay. I'm still hoping for the best. Should I try contacting John? I am not that familiar with this Carnival site, not having taken a Carnival crusie before. Is he someone associated with the company? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks again to all of you for your input. It is much appreciated.

I don't remember if the safe was locked. I did remove our passports the night before disembarking. I just don't remember if I locked the safe with the jewelry in it.

I also can't understand why someone can't just e-mail the ship and get this information. I do understand that there must be dozens of reports like this for each cruise, but still, in this day and age, I just really don't understand the long delay. I'm still hoping for the best. Should I try contacting John? I am not that familiar with this Carnival site, not having taken a Carnival crusie before. Is he someone associated with the company? I would appreciate any help.

Cruise Critic is a wonderful site with a lot of really great users. All of the posters have great advice for you ...... please make sure to tell us all what the out come of your jewelry is.

I have a friend that left his rented tuxeo on board and it was returned to him 2 weeks later.

Good Luck

OceanDreams

Your guess is as good as anyone's why it can't be done quickly. But remember in the modern business world, 1/2 the people are doing triple the work. Not defending them one bit. But it might only be a drop in the bucket compared to their other responsibilities. If the safe were locked, I assume the steward arraigned for whomever to open it and inventory what was in it. If it was open, hopefully he noticed it. Nothing is for sure. But by and large I think room stewards worry more about their jobs then stealing stuff. Last cruise I left $400.00 cash by mistake on the bathroom counter. Hours later I came back and found that the steward had been in the room and the money right where I left it. I'm not big on rewarding folks for doing the right thing, but I did leave him a nice tip when we got off.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Archived