Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat with 2 year old????

coulter22

Hi all! I need some guidance. My DH & I will be traveling on the partial transit voyage on the Island Princess with my Mom & Dad & our 2 year old son. Will we get a great experience & feel for the panama canal by staying on the ship or do we push it & do the Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat trip & hope my son can sleep on the ferry or motorcoach when he's tired? :confused:

Is going through the rest of the canal & locks an experience not to be missed?

Thanks!!

Greer

I agree that if you decide to stay on the ship you will get a very good feel for the Canal with your two passes through Gatun Locks. Your son could no doubt catch a snooze on the bus to and from the ferry, I am not so sure about the what his chances are on the ferry. The actual ferry portion will be about 4.5 hours. There is a "but" however, the ferry takes you through a portion of the Canal that has the "wow".... the two Pacific Locks, sailing through Gaillard Cut and passing under two impressive bridges. Another added benefit that is often overlooked, it is a great comparison to see the Canal from your Panamax ship at Gatun and then be able to see the operation from your smaller ferry. A great A/B comparison. I understand your concerns with a 2/yo and if you feel it would be a bit much for him staying on the ship will still be a great day.

I don't know YOUR 2-year-old, but as the mother of 2 children, I do know about 2-year-olds in general and I don't think the ferry trip would be a good choice for a 2-year-old. The deck of the ferry is basically just set up with chairs for the passengers to sit and watch going through the Canal. There's no space for an active child to run around. While the trip is fascinating for adults (it was for us), it would be a real snooze-fest for a 2-year-old--and there's not even anyplace for him to snooze! I can only see a long day of someone (probably you) trying to entertain and trying to keep still a child that wants to DO things! It would probably be a kindness to yourself and to others to find an alternative for your child that day.

Having said all that, I am SO glad that we did the ferry trip as it gave us a much different and better perspective about going through the canal. Is it possible that you could arrange for child care on the ship? Is someone in your party not that interested in the ferry trip and wouldn't mind staying back on the cruise ship with your child? I hope that you can work something out so that at least some of your family can experience the ferry.

Thank you for the input! While my son is pretty well behaved for a 2 year old, this trip might be pushing the limits for him.

Unfortunately he is too young to stay on the boat & I would be a nervous wreck if I left him there with anyone but my mom or dad anyway. As we are younger & might make another trip through the canal one day, I think I will give the option of this trip to my DH & parents. My son & I can have a fun day exploring the ship & gatun locks from numerous perspectives that day.

UTGrad- I read another of your posts regarding a private tour in columbia. Would you mind sharing some info on any excursions you did that could be kid friendly? We are on the island princess as well.

Thanks again!!

Coulter22--Having a parent stay with your son on board the ship while the grandparents go on the ferry sounds like the perfect solution to me. But wouldn't your parents rather have you accompany them? That way Dad and son could stay on the ship and do "manly" things like Hairy Chest Contests and quaffing root beer. :D I know how much my husband used to enjoy one-on-one time with both our son and daughter (and still does, even though they are young adults now.)

As for our other excursions on the Island Princess--I regret to say I don't think many of them would be "toddler friendly".

In Aruba, we did the Sail and Snorkel which would not be a good choice with a toddler. I think the best thing to do in Aruba with a young child would be to go to one of the beaches. Druif Beach and Eagle Beach are both very close to the cruiseport in Oranjestad and are nice places. (We spent a week's vacation at the Tamarijn Hotel on Druif Beach and enjoyed it very much.) Here's a link to info about beaches on Aruba:

http://www.visitaruba.com/experience-aruba/aruba-beaches/

In Cartegena, we did an excellent private tour with Jacinto Jimenez (J.J.) Taborda and he can be reached at jacinto-200@hotmail.com. HOWEVER, I'm not sure you'd want to do this with a 2-year-old mainly because it was SO hot and humid. I come from Texas and I don't ever remember sweating as much as I did during that tour.

In Jamaica, we did a combo tour with Peat Taylor to the Dunn River Falls and White River Tubing. While your child is too young to walk up the Falls, I believe there is a beach at the bottom of the Falls where one of you could entertain your son while the others make the walk. Or you and your son could walk on the sidewalk next to the Falls and watch the grandparents as they make the climb. I thought the White River Tubing was very tame. (The water is mostly no more than waist deep on an adult.) Your son would be in a life vest and the inner tubes have seats, so he won't fall through. Also, your guide, who walks the entire way, could hold onto your son's tube for extra safety. You might want to check with Peat Taylor (who, along with his son Peat Jr., gave us an excellent tour in Ocho Rios) to see if there are any age limits on the tubing trip.

Hope y'all have a great tour. We loved the Island Princess!

I ditto the heat and humidity issue for Columbia, that said I would contact Lee Miles with the question. He could probably arrange a private tour for the bunch of you in a single A/C vehicle that would allow you maximum flexibility (i.e. one could stay with the kid in the van at each stop).

It would be a little more expensive than a shared tour, but probably very doable.

Thank you for the input! While my son is pretty well behaved for a 2 year old, this trip might be pushing the limits for him.

Unfortunately he is too young to stay on the boat & I would be a nervous wreck if I left him there with anyone but my mom or dad anyway. As we are younger & might make another trip through the canal one day, I think I will give the option of this trip to my DH & parents. My son & I can have a fun day exploring the ship & gatun locks from numerous perspectives that day.

UTGrad- I read another of your posts regarding a private tour in columbia. Would you mind sharing some info on any excursions you did that could be kid friendly? We are on the island princess as well.

Thanks again!!

GradUT- thanks again!! we live in Texas too & i assumed you were a longhorn or tennesse volunteer!!

Hopefully a private tour in an AC van would work for columbia. Since we live in Houston, he's pretty used to humidity. But I could always sit inside with him. What month were you in Columbia?

Thanks again!!

We were there in April.

Since you live in Houston, you do know about humidity. I have experienced Houston humidity a lot since I have family who live there, but I still have never experienced anything like Cartegena in April! Be sure to take plenty of water and something to wipe your face with.

I think staying in the van with your son might work out as long as the guide doesn't mind running the A/C for the time it takes the others to sightsee. (We spent about 30 minutes or so each at La Popa and at San Felipe Forteza.) It might be more problematic for the visit to Old Town Cartegena since you would want to spend a couple hours walking around and seeing the sights there. You could ask your guide to leave you and your son in a shady area, probably near the Cathedral, and arrange for them to meet you there at the end of their tour.

Archived