Driving from Milan to Civitavecchia?

Crusin-Suzan

Siena would be wonderful--you can explore the Tuscan hill towns from there. Siena is a beautiful small city and one of our all time favorites--the cathedral is not to be missed! San Gimignano is a treasure as well, also Volterra and many others in the area. Each has some great feature. We stayed in Tuscany for a month in 2010 and had a fabulous time.

Not knowing what you have already seen its difficult to plan an itinerary. But if you have never been to Cinque Terre you might want to plan for a night (or two) in one of the villages. Since you have a car we would probably opt for Riomaggiore since that village is accessible by car and has parking. My only caution is that 2 of the villages (to the North) were severely damaged a few months ago (due to floods and rock slides) and we are not sure what the situation would be by the time of your trip. But its certainly worth researching. We also love staying in the area very close to San Gimignano (Tuscany) which is a very charming part of the region and gives you easy access to many delightful cities (Florence and Siena) and smaller villages such as Volterra, Cole val d'Elsa. San Gimignano and even the charming Chianti area that lines the S222 road that runs between Florence and Siena. We could easily spend months in this particular part of Tuscany and never be bored.

Hank

Both Cinque Terre and Siena are excellent recommendations, we visited both last August and thoroughly enjoyed both. If you enjoy hiking and amazing views, Cinque Terre is amazing. From what I've read it sounds like Cinque Terre will be mostly recovered from the mudslides by this summer. Siena would make a great base since it's beautiful at night and there's plenty to see there. The cathedral is beautiful, perhaps my favorite of all the ones I've seen in Europe. We split our time between Civitavecchia and Milan with two nights in Siena and one night in Cinque Terre. While it was a little rushed, we really enjoyed both (plus a half day side trip from Siena to San Gimignano) and the two stops split up the train rides nicely so we didn't have any long travel days.

Does anyone know of a central place to look to stay for a few days between the two cities that would be fun. Not Rome or Ovieto area as we have done this. Doing. Ta on the Sillie in Dec.

Have you considered taking the train? There are a number of charming Italian towns along the way, or Pisa.

The journey only involves one change of station, at Genoa; 1st class is €73, 2nd class even less. When you visit trenitalia.com make sure to select "SHOW ALL SOLUTIONS" to see the slower trains down the coast (the main fast routing would be via Firenze/Roma)

We stayed in Rapallo for four nights, which is just along from Portofino and close to Cinque Terre. We thoroughly enjoyed it and did a ten hour boat trip along to Cinque Terre one day. But Rapallo also has a golf course, train station, a big weekly market and many shops and restaurants which cater to locals as well as all the tourists. Had it rained we could have easily gone to Genoa for a day whereas our friends were in one of the Cinque Terre towns and got both bad weather and a train strike at the same time. They were stranded and bored. Anyway we loved Rapallo.

Yes why drive ? Ditch the car in Milano and take the train from Milano Centrale to La Spezia and make that your stop . The train trip from Milano first runs through scenic country and then along the spectacular Mediteranean Coast via Genova to La Spezia .

From La Spezia Urban bus P 30 minutes to Portovenere, or 10 - 20 minutes by train to any of the villages of the Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza or Monterosso.) 60 minutes by train to Pisa .

It is 3 hours by these through trains from Milano Centrale to La Spezia station. Departing Milano Centrale at 0605, 0800, 1205, 1310, 1400, 1600, 1805, 2010. (Other departures require change of train at Genova so stick to the above selection.)

Direct trains run from La Spezia to Civitavecchia and onto Rome.

Train frequency La Spezia / Pisa hourly each way .

For accommodation in La Spezia the Hotel Firenze & Continentale opposite the station is excellent .

The problem I have with this suggestion is luggage. Having just returned from a plane-train-cruise vacation, it is a real pain lugging cruise-type luggage off and on multiple trains, such as a stop at Cinque Terre would require. We have done it both ways, with a car and using trains exclusively, and a car is MUCH easier. We had a small bag that we would take into hotels with enough supplies for one night, and left the larger cases in the car. Many hotels/b&bs don't have elevators, and if they do they are tiny, so beware!!

I too would drive unless you are only going from one city to another. Exploring outside of the cities requires a car, especially Tuscany. I also like the flexibility that a car affords.

If efficient point-to-point transportation is your only (or primary) objective, the train can't be beat. If touring and seeing the countryside is a priority, a car is a better way to go.

There are many lovely towns in central/southern Tuscany. Siena is wonderful, but so are Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico D'Orcia, and on and on ...

If you haven't been to the abbey Sant'Antimo south of Montalcino, it's well worth a visit: http://www.antimo.it/index.shtml

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. I followed euro cruiser's advice last year when I was planning our trip, too!

If you are arriving in Milan by plane, this may be an option to research:

• Train to Chiusi

• Pick up car rental in Chiusi (very close to train station, and they pick you up)

• Explore the Tuscan hill towns for 3 days

• Drop off car at Chiusi, take the train to Civitavecchia

We took the train from Rome to Chiusi, rented our car from autoeurope, and stayed in the beautiful agriturismo Villa Mazzi in Montepulciano.

It was a wonderful "home base" for us to take trips to Pienza, Montalcino, Cortona, Greve in Chianti and more!

Enjoy your visit!

We would like to pick one central town and then go on bbplanet and find a apt for three days. A place in town or close so we could go out for dinner and not drive far. Have to have our wine with dinner. During the day we drive and sight see :)

Speaking of wines...

Montepulciano is famous for Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.

Montalcino has the amazing Brunello

And, of course, Chianti.

You will definitely be in a wonderful region for great wines!

I will be arriving at he port in Citavecchia 6/29, how diificult would it be to get to the train station & travel north. I have stayed in Pisa & found that very convienent to train & airport, any other sugestions?

Well, the train station is about four flat blocks from where the free port shuttle drops you off. There you can catch a train for Pisa and points north, although there may be a connection involved. We traveled from Rome through Civitavecchia on our way back to Siena (well, Poggibonsi actually) so I am not sure if a connection would have to be made in Siena or not. You can check the trenitalia site.

We also like flying into Pisa, very small and navigable.

Archived