Friend had to cancel/no insurance. Is there anything that can be done?

mommiemudd

A friend of mine booked a cruise for the second week in December. She is a first time cruiser and did not buy insurance. Mainly because cruise was booked only a few weeks out. Husband was deployed so upon his return they decided they needed a short vacation to reconnect as a family. They chose a short 3 day cruise as a tester cruise to see if they liked it before booking a longer cruise. Unfortunately, her father passed away from a sudden illness and died the week they were to leave. She knows that without the insurance they are out the money but I told her I would just check here on the boards to see if there is anything that she might could do. They did call Carnival but of course were told that nothing could be done. Would it help if she wrote a letter to someone? Where and to whom? Any idea if there is anything that they might could do? She is not expecting a refund but perhaps a credit on a future cruise. Lesson learned to always buy insurance! I knew you guys might have suggestions for her, they have been thru so much lately with the deployment and then her dads death, I wanted to try to help if I could. Thanks!

I once even had insurance, and my fiancee's father died and felt obligated at the time to go to the funeral. Since he was not related to me, did not cover a dime and I was out $1000, on a expensive flight and vacation.

Even insurance doesnt cover all reasons. It smarts, but I doubt there is anything that can be done. Write and hope??

We cruise a lot and once several years ago my mother was hospitalized a couple of days before our cruise. We contacted Carnival, with the help of our PVP, and they were very cooperative. They let us use the amount of our cruise for a future cruise. We did have to provide proof from her doctor. We have always found Carnival very customer friendly. Good luck and sorrry for your loss.

While I'm sorry for her loss, if there is a chain of command where you can write a letter and get the cruise credited to you, why would any of us ever buy insurance again? As one who always buys insurance, I would feel 'cheated' if Carnival makes an exception. Sounds cruel, I know, but that is how I feel. Anyone agree or am I being the bad guy here?

While I'm sorry for her loss, if there is a chain of command where you can write a letter and get the cruise credited to you, why would any of us ever buy insurance again? As one who always buys insurance, I would feel 'cheated' if Carnival makes an exception. Sounds cruel, I know, but that is how I feel. Anyone agree or am I being the bad guy here?

I tend to agree with you that someone getting a refund or future cruise credit without insurance makes those of us who buy insurance feel "cheated".

I tend to agree with you that someone getting a refund or future cruise credit without insurance makes those of us who buy insurance feel "cheated".

I for one do not buy insurance because I could calculate that is cheaper not to buy and "self" insure myself with the money saved over the years. However, businesses do have to show compassion at times, and a future cruise credit is not unrealistic since the Carnival keeps the money, and the young couple becomes a loyal customer.

We always purchase insurance. And my dear, I don't feel cheated. Go ahead and try. I hope they credit it back to you or atlease the $$$ goes toward another cruise.

I'm not saying the ones that purchase insurance that feels cheated if the cruise line gave credit back to one that wasn't insured is mean or bad. It's you right to give your opinion. I just feel different due to it being a death of their dad. =-(

Try contacting your charge card provider they may offer something.

Gosh, John. . . I'm know I'm off of subject now. But you are the cruise man. You have a ton of cruise under you belt here!

I should follow you on this board and read your imput and advise on cruising. :)

Life sometimes gets in the way of our plans and at one point do we as adults take responsibility for our decisions? She was presented with the option of buying trip insurance and chose not to. Didn't that tell her that should a situation arise she would not get credited and have to take the loss?

Human nature desires us to get somethin' for nothin' but mature people live with their decisions and not cry foul when their decisions don't work out the way they hoped.

Can you call an auto insurance company and buy insurance after an accident?

Can you buy health insurance after you're admitted to the hospital for a surgery?

I know my opinion is not the popular one but it's the logical one. I guess she can try to plead her case but shouldn't be disappointed when the answer comes down.

And I do believe that if Carnival acquiesces to her plea, then they would be setting a precedence for all future situations and really open a Pandora's box.

I don't think it would occur to me to feel cheated to be honest. I will purchase insurance, but I hope that this young couple is able to work something out.

Let me see... a spouse was serving in our armed forces and then the death of a parent.

So why not get on the soap box and teach them a life lesson. That should make us feel better, making sure someone does get special treatment.

Why is it some feel happy that someone else lost something? Pitiful... Perhaps on military pay the cost of insurance was out of their budget at the time?

Write a letter, send in a color copy of the death certificate and the notice of deployment from the military. Make sure they ask for credit on a future cruise and not a cash refund.

And do one more thing, thank the person that served for our freedom thank you.

It seems as though this young woman is facing enough hardships while her husband is deployed serving our country and then when they plan a short get-away her father dies. How would Carnival showing some compassion cheat you out of anything? :confused: Just sayin....

Let me see... a spouse was serving in our armed forces and then the death of a parent.

So why not get on the soap box and teach them a life lesson. That should make us feel better, making sure someone does get special treatment.

Why is it some feel happy that someone else lost something? Pitiful... Perhaps on military pay the cost of insurance was out of their budget at the time?

Write a letter, send in a color copy of the death certificate and the notice of deployment from the military. Make sure they ask for credit on a future cruise and not a cash refund.

And do one more thing, thank the person that served for our freedom thank you.

Bravo!....well said!

Life sometimes gets in the way of our plans and at one point do we as adults take responsibility for our decisions? She was presented with the option of buying trip insurance and chose not to. Didn't that tell her that should a situation arise she would not get credited and have to take the loss?

It certainly does. I can't attest for the maturity of the wife or whether or not the consequences of not having the add-on insurance where explained to the Op's friend.

Human nature desires us to get somethin' for nothin' but mature people live with their decisions and not cry foul when their decisions don't work out the way they hoped.

That's a bit of a leap since no mention of 'wanting something for nothing' was mentioned or cries of foul were heard. The OP asked the simple question of, "Can anything else be done?".

Can you call an auto insurance company and buy insurance after an accident? No.

Can you buy health insurance after you're admitted to the hospital for a surgery? No.

I know my opinion is not the popular one but it's the logical one. I guess she can try to plead her case but shouldn't be disappointed when the answer comes down.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Would not deny your right to have it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And I do believe that if Carnival acquiesces to her plea, then they would be setting a precedence for all future situations and really open a Pandora's box.

That box has been opened many times over by people above the level of the person to whom the original question had been posed to at Carnival. They take into consideration the circumstances surrounding the request like most smart businesses do and when appropriate, make adjustments to sustain 'Good Will'

Like you say, life has a way... But life isn't black and white, without any of the shades of gray. Should Carnival acquiesce in her favor, it has no bearing on what any other customer should expect. It's nothing personal, just business.

Carnival is not in the insurance business. They offer a product as a third party to cover these kind of unforseen cercumstances. If they don't follow the insurance policies they can loose their contract. In the old days, the cruise lines basically self insured so were more flexible.

If a vet comes back from being deployed and is involved in an accident should he be exempt from having insurance?

Everyone has to weigh if they are comfortable picking up the cost or loss if the unforseen happens.

Carnival is not in the insurance business. They offer a product as a third party to cover these kind of unforseen cercumstances. If they don't follow the insurance policies they can loose their contract. In the old days, the cruise lines basically self insured so were more flexible.

If a vet comes back from being deployed and is involved in an accident should he be exempt from having insurance?

Everyone has to weigh if they are comfortable picking up the cost or loss if the unforseen happens.

Uncle Sam has the other stuff covered. :)

While my comments are not the most popular on this subject, I am not without compassion and sympathy. I just thought of an idea to help the couple out and show our gratitude as American citizens for the service her husband has given for all of us to be free.

Why don't we as CC members offer to pay for a future cruise for the couple?

I'd be willing to send the first check in to Carnival to fund this cruise. Perhaps someone who is close to the Carnival Corp could look into how a fund can be established where we could all contribute to. I am certainly not wealthy by any means but I have been blessed and am willing to help out in this worthy cause.

Any others think this is a good idea and can help out financially? Hey, why don't we shoot for a 7 day cruise instead of a 3 day and really show our appreciation?

Archived