MSC POESIA GROUNDING Off of Grand Bahama

cruise1814

Is it returning early or is the trip actually over? some reports make it seem this was only a 3 day music charter trip.

Most reports state that the ship was able to go 19knots - assume not much damage to the ship.

The trip is actually over. It was a 3 day music cruise.

We hit around 6 am, and the ship tried to go through rather than stop. We were told nothing but were able to get tenders to shore around 1230. Later on in the day about 200 people were left on shore for 4 hours while they tried to pull us free. The view from our balcony was hilarious. Tug boats getting us out,small police boats, a jetski came by and taunted us. We were the joke of the island.

great memories!

I've heard that by maritime tradition a captain (or the officer in charge on the bridge) who let his ship go aground would soon find himself transferred to shore duties or fired. Wonder how the Poesia's captain is making out with MSC headquarters?

The trip is actually over. It was a 3 day music cruise.

We hit around 6 am, and the ship tried to go through rather than stop. We were told nothing but were able to get tenders to shore around 1230. Later on in the day about 200 people were left on shore for 4 hours while they tried to pull us free. The view from our balcony was hilarious. Tug boats getting us out,small police boats, a jetski came by and taunted us. We were the joke of the island.

great memories!

Did you have a good time - prior to this happening

I see that the ship is returning to FLL at 8 AM today. Wondered why so this must explain it.

I asked MSC usa on facebook and they answered prompty that all is well and on schedule....we will be boarding saturday....

We are pleased to share with you that MSC Poesia is operating normally on her schedule of Caribbean itineraries. We are so very proud of our crew and fabulous guests. They did not skip a beat after the ship ran aground on Saturday morning in the harbor off of Port Lucaya.

At all times the ship and its guests were always completely safe and all onboard equipment and services continued to operate normally including all previously scheduled tender service and shore excursions. The ship freed itself at high tide and made its way to its next scheduled port of call.

The ship is continuing its regular schedule of Caribbean itineraries.

There were no announcements made on board stating when tendering was going to start, no one knew at the information desk. I mean yes we did get on the island but it would have been nice if we were well informed. Plus guests were stranded on the island ?

Wow... was that ever some lame reporting.:rolleyes:

Have to agree

No video taken from actual passengers onboard, just this lame reporter. I must say I'm alittle surprised.

Oh well guess ticket prices will be going up to help pay for the damage and help rebuild the reef.

Wonder who was in charge when this happened and if they have been punished yet. Or are they still onboard to do it again someplace.

Looks as if a good time was had by all! I'm amazed you even noticed that the ship was grounded.

That's interesting to know about HMC; I knew that Carnival uses it when HAL isn't there, but I've never heard of it being rented out. You learn something new everyday.

Wonder who was in charge when this happened and if they have been punished yet. Or are they still onboard to do it again someplace.

I've been wondering the same. Ultimately, the Captain is responsible, period, but I'd still like to know if it was a helmsman's error, a pilot mistake, or something else.

So.. the Costa Concordia got me thinking.... These cruise ships can sink.. and relatively quickly.

So since MSC Poesia ran aground and from the videos.. it crushed part of a reef and scrapped off a lot of paint, I was wondering why type of inspection and repair has been done to it to prevent water penetration/rust?

So.. the Costa Concordia got me thinking.... These cruise ships can sink.. and relatively quickly.

So since MSC Poesia ran aground and from the videos.. it crushed part of a reef and scrapped off a lot of paint, I was wondering why type of inspection and repair has been done to it to prevent water penetration/rust?

They may have sent divers to check things out but as for repairs I haven't heard of any being done as it would probably mean the ship would need to be in dry docked and hasn't happened yet. We shall have to wait and see.

Boy, I'd stay off this ship...

On Thursday January 12, Poesia hit the dock in Falmouth while departing. After hitting the dock they then made their turn way too early and ran into a concrete and steel guide pillar that ended up sinking after it was struck by the middle of the ship.

Archived