SJU Airport Post Cruise afternoon?

scottam

We have a 4:10 pm flight out of San Juan and are wondering how the airport will be at this time of day. We are trying to decide how much time to allow to get through ag and security. How much time should we allow for taxi time from Old San Juan? Thanks for any insight that you can give!

Tammy

We have a 4:10 pm flight out of San Juan and are wondering how the airport will be at this time of day. We are trying to decide how much time to allow to get through ag and security. How much time should we allow for taxi time from Old San Juan? Thanks for any insight that you can give!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I have called Carnival and talked to at least 5 different agents with these questions. It is only 8 miles to the airport, but apparently it can take up to 45 minutes to get there. I did a Google Map request and it said 12 minutes. I called the Admiral's club in San Juan and the lady said to allow 45 minutes to get there. She wasn't being overly conservative, and she seemed sincere. If you are going First Class or Business Class on American, you will have a special line for baggage check in, and a special line for security. I have a 10:55 AM flight and I am nervous! Of course, I'm doing self assist debarkation. I've heard I might be off the ship as early as 8:00, or as late as 9:00. I know you should allow 2 hours at the time you are going. I only need 1 hour because I'll be there very early in the morning and I'll being flying First Class.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a cab? I hear that they are lined up... but if you've been to Las Vegas you know that there is a very long line for cabs. If so, I want to hire a limo because if I miss my flight I'm screwed!

I have cruised from San Juan multiple times. We had a 5 PM flight last January. We left for the airport at 2. We were really early. We breezed right through the airport and were at the gate by 3.

If I were you, I would leave at least 2 hours before your flight. SJU can be really busy. But it is definitely much worse in the morning

We had a 5:30 flight in December, it was around 15-20 min from the pier to the airport. We arrived at 2:30 and the airport was almost empty! there weren't any line ups at the ag inspection or American Airlines counter, security had a small lineup.

As a side note, you can buy duty free liquor after clearing customs in San Juan and will be able to carry it on the plane with you to your final destination, so if you need a couple of bottles it is a good place to make that last purchase.

We also have a 4pm flight and would like to hit Old San Juan prior to leaving. What do you do with your luggage?

Barrachina Restaurant in Old San Juan has a free (although I think it's customary to leave a small tip) luggage hold service. We have used it before and it was very convenient. There is a taxi stand next door for going back to the airport. This trip, I think we will plan to have lunch there then catch a taxi for the airport.

Here is the website link. Click on "Free Services on the left side of the screen.

http://barrachina.com/indexb.php

Happy Sailing!

There are 3 places where you can leave your luggages. Barrachina (already mentioned previously), Aloha restaurant (not sure of the name, 3$/ luggage) and another place on the pier in OSJ (forgot the name 3$/luggage).

There is also another option. When you get off the cruise ship, there are buses where you can leave your luggage on. They give you a tour of OSJ, drop you there and give you time to visit. They will come to pick you up a a specific location in OSJ (they show you the pick up place when showing you OSJ). Regular fees is 25$/pax.

When we were there on Dec 31, 2011, as we are 9 pax, they only charge us 20$ instead of 25$. I think this is reasonable because you don't have to load / unload your bags, grap a cab ...

Barrachina Restaurant in Old San Juan has a free (although I think it's customary to leave a small tip) luggage hold service. We have used it before and it was very convenient. There is a taxi stand next door for going back to the airport. This trip, I think we will plan to have lunch there then catch a taxi for the airport.

Here is the website link. Click on "Free Services on the left side of the screen.

http://barrachina.com/indexb.php

Happy Sailing!

Hi Tammy,

Mike and I also have a flight around 4pm. We are thinking of taking a taxi to Barrachina"s and exploring Old San Juan for a short time, having an early lunch and then head to the airport. I can't believe how quickly the time is flying until our cruise! It is so cold here today that I can't wait to get to warmer weather! We will see you soon!!!

Stephanie

If this of interest, you can book a post cruise tour for the rain forest, El Junque. The bus will take will pick you up at de-embarkation, load your luggage, and take you on a tour for he rain forest. El Junque is worth seeing at least once, provided you are into national parks and nature.

Pete

Hi Tammy,

Mike and I also have a flight around 4pm. We are thinking of taking a taxi to Barrachina"s and exploring Old San Juan for a short time, having an early lunch and then head to the airport. I can't believe how quickly the time is flying until our cruise! It is so cold here today that I can't wait to get to warmer weather! We will see you soon!!!

Stephanie

Hey Stephanie!

That is our gameplan as well, and yes, time is flying by! We will see on board very soon. Getting very excited!

Tammy

• 4 weeks later...
If this of interest, you can book a post cruise tour for the rain forest, El Junque. The bus will take will pick you up at de-embarkation, load your luggage, and take you on a tour for he rain forest. El Junque is worth seeing at least once, provided you are into national parks and nature.

Pete

As a person who retired after a 40 year career with the US Forest Service, I feel obligated to point out that El Junque is a National Forest rather than a National Park. The Forest Service is in the Agriculture Department while the National Park Service is in the Interior Department. Only common boss is the President. That said, I've been to El Junque. Neat place!

DH and I are disembarking and staying an extra day post cruise-plane doesn't leave until around 4 the next afternoon. Does anyone think we would be able to see OSJ and El Junque in a day and a half? I thought maybe if we took our own luggage off, we could save some time, also.

And would we be better off staying in OSJ or closer to the airport? Our flight out is on a Monday, if this makes a difference in traffic

thanks

DH and I are disembarking and staying an extra day post cruise-plane doesn't leave until around 4 the next afternoon. Does anyone think we would be able to see OSJ and El Junque in a day and a half? I thought maybe if we took our own luggage off, we could save some time, also.

And would we be better off staying in OSJ or closer to the airport? Our flight out is on a Monday, if this makes a difference in traffic

thanks

Archived