Help with Cruise/Independent Land Tour Planning

jajsmom

Myself, DH, DS 17 and DD 15 are cruising northbound on the Coral in mid-July 2012, followed by a 4 day independent land tour. I've read everything I can over the past six months, and I'm still having trouble making plans, and feel like now is the time to book things so we get what we want. This is our potential itinerary so far:

Sat. July 21--fly into Vancouver, arriving early afternoon

Sun. July 22--Vancouver

Mon. July 23--Vancouver; ship departs

Tues. July 24--at sea, inside passage

Wed. July 25--Ketchikan 6:30 AM- 2 PM

want to take local bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch Totem Parks

head back into town to explore before reboarding ship

Thurs. July 26--Juneau 8 AM -9 PM

Mendenhall Glacier--as there are 4 of us, not sure if it's better to rent a car vs. MGT bus. How is driving around Juneau itself? Will we be able to park in the downtown area without difficulty, or is it better to just explore on foot? If we have a car, what else should we be sure to do?

I had wanted to whale watch here too, but kids vetoed that, and this is our last time together before DS goes off to college, so I'm willing to compromise. Also, we will not be doing any planes or helicopters due to my severe motion sickness.

Fri. July 27--Skagway 7 AM - 8:30 PM

I want to do WP & YRR. After some compromise on the length of the tour, considering 3.5 hr train up/bus back tour with Chilcoot Charters. Also considering there longer tour without the train, to include dog sled ride. If we don't so this, DD wants to do Homestead Husky Tour in Denali.

Sat. July 28--Glacier Bay cruising

Sun. July 29--College Fjord cruising (kids can sleep in these two days!)

Mon. July 30--arrive in Whittier

I'm thinking of taking the 3 hour Alaska Cruise Transfer & Tour, which includes stops at Portage Glacier and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. I haven't heard too much about this company, but the price is resonable, and they have B1G1 coupon in Northern Lights coupon book. They will drop off at car rental to pick up our rental car.

Not sure what else we'd like to do in Anchorage, but we'll be staying at hotel ovenight, before drive to Denali tomorrow.

Tues. July 31--drive to Denali

Will definitely sightsee along the way. Not sure of plans here. Is it worth it to drive to McKinley Princess for lunch to possibly see views of mountain? Will check-in to Princess Denali Lodge (coupon in Northern Lights.) Possibly visit Husky Homestead tonight. Is this as good as/better than dog cart ride in Skagway?

Wed. Aug. 1--Denali

Shuttle into park. Considering both Eielson and Wonder Lake. How early should we try to leave on this tour (I have 2 teenagers.) I'm assuming we won't e able to schedule anything other than dinner that night.

Thurs. Aug. 2--return to Anchorage

Kids would like to go whitewater rafting that morning. Is there a preferred company to use? I've seen all different lenght tours, as well as some with paddles, oars, or nothing at all. What is recommended?

Will clean up and drive back to Anchorage. Any activities we should do there, or recommendations for places to stop on the drive back?

Fri. Aug. 3--early AM flight home

I know this is the Alaska board, but I'm open for must do activities in our short time in Vancouver too. Considering Grousse Mountain, Stanley Park, walking around Gastown and Chinatown.

Thanks for reading so far. I welcome all help and suggestions.

Lauri

I have travelled with teens --my own and my high school students--on many occasions and know the challenges. I'm not sure where to begin with your trip. Basically you don't seem to be too excited about many of your plans. What excites you and your family? That should be become the base of this adventure. Perhaps step back and have each person design a day for each port, have a family meeting and make decisions--plot it on a whiteboard. Use the Princess shore excursions lists as their research source then you can find independents if that is what you decide. Once you make some decisions then the rest will come easier. Aim for balance not compromise.

Thanks for your response. I'm such a planner, and this trip seems to have more what ifs than any other trip I've ever planned, including to countries where I do not speak the language.

I'm kind of happy with the excursions we're thinking about--I'm just afraid to make the final commitments (pay for them now.)

My biggest qustions at this point are:

--Car rental vs. bus in Juneau?

--Will my kids be wowed when we get there, or will they be bored? We went to the Grand Canyon when they were small, and on first sight, they were like Wow, but by the second day, they were like big hole in ground, already seen it. I'm trying to incorporate more active excursions for them, such as whitewater rafting.

--I'm not sure of time planning on the land portion of our tour. Denali is a must, but should we stop in Talkeena to get a second or third chance to see Mt. McKinley? I'm also not sure of when to plan the whitewater rafting or the Husky Homestead tour. I'm thinking we will be pretty tired after an all day shuttle bus through Denali.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more specific questions, but I feel like I have to start making some reservations now.

Thanks.

Lauri

--Will my kids be wowed when we get there, or will they be bored? We went to the Grand Canyon when they were small, and on first sight, they were like Wow, but by the second day, they were like big hole in ground, already seen it. I'm trying to incorporate more active excursions for them, such as whitewater rafting.

--I'm not sure of time planning on the land portion of our tour. Denali is a must, but should we stop in Talkeena to get a second or third chance to see Mt. McKinley? I'm also not sure of when to plan the whitewater rafting or the Husky Homestead tour. I'm thinking we will be pretty tired after an all day shuttle bus through Denali.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more specific questions, but I feel like I have to start making some reservations now.

Thanks.

Lauri

I'm sort of in the same boat as you - my boys will be 17 & 13 when we vacation in AK next year. So far, I've planned one full day in Denali NP and the one day of rafting on the Nenana and a "Midnight" ATV excursion. Both excursions pick up near the entrance to the park (Glitter Gulch) so that will hopefully give us another opportunity to see the mountain (I'm thinking positive that we will be lucky both days!). I also plan to get off the shuttle bus in the park and maybe hike around a little bit to also keep the boys attention. Still looking into that though as I would hate to get lost and run into a bear (not sure if my oldest will be an Eagle Scout by that point and not sure how much good he'll be leading us around anyway! :);))

We are on the Island Princess northbound in May and it has been the hardest trip I have ever planned for. When I first saw your plans I thought they are not active enough for the kids.

Some thoughts:

Sat. July 21--fly into Vancouver, arriving early afternoon. Plan to visit Stanley Park that afternoon or Granville Island. http://www.whygocanada.com/first-time-visitors-guide-to-vancouver-bc.html

http://www.youralaskacruise.com/alaska_cruise_ports-maps.html

Have a back up plan if the weather is lousy

Sun. July 22—Vancouver Grouse Mountain --http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours Lots to do for everyone—let the kids choose one activity per day and the parents another –balance not compromise

Mon. July 23--Vancouver; ship departs I assume a lie in and walk around

Tues. July 24--at sea, inside passage Teen Club? Two teens three sea/scenic cruising days –you need plans for this. I am afraid of glacier over kill for me and I'm 62.

Definitely a car rental for a family

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400612

I had wanted to whale watch here too, Why did the kids veto this—is it for you or them? Maybe you split up for part of the day—you go whale watching –they with Dad go ziplining?

I want to do WP & YRR. After some compromise on the length of the tour, considering 3.5 hr train up/bus back tour with Chilkoot Book this now or look at Beyond Skagway who maybe able to provide teen friendly activities. Alternative ideas for Skagway after the train trip—maybe make it a gold rush day

http://www.skagway.com/

Checkout the reviews of the dog sled tours it seems to fit better in at Denali

Can't help with Denali at all but I've read reviews of folks who have done both the huskies and rafting there on CC.

if the mountain is out you'll see it at numerous locations during the drive from Anchorage, even from downtown Anchorage on a clear day! So there's no NEED to visit Talkeetna just to see the mountain. See how you feel on that day. Here is a guide for the Parks Hwy: http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/parks_highway.html

If you're interested in sled dogs you might want to stop briefly in Wasilla to visit the Ididarod Headquarters. There's a free dog sled demo at the park ... 10, 2, 4pm I think. Check the Park web site.

As for the shuttle choose a time that works for everyone. Not noon, but there's no point in spending a day next to crabby tired teens who were forced out of bed at 6am. (arrive 20 minutes early so you can grab 2 seats on both sides of the bus; then you're not peering over strangers when the wildlife is on the opposite side.) The price differential between Eielson VC and WL is minimal so why not book WL. If you choose to hop off at Eielson instead of going all the way, you can wander around the Visitor Center and hike, and ask the dispatcher to help with an available return bus. If the mountain is out the view from EVC is stunning. There are usually a few sets of antlers nearby that make a great photo op.

As for the car rental in Juneau.... would you prefer to have the freedom to drive around a little? There's only about 50 miles of road in Juneau but you could drive north along the coast as far as one can go, stop at Eagle Beach, Shrine of StTherese, pull over to look for whales and eagles, visit a fish hatchery and Mendenhall of course. Visit the Juneau tourism web site for ideas, or borrow an Alaska travel book from your library.

In Ketchikan be sure to take the free walking tour of the town.

Have you priced a one-way car rental from Whittier to Anchorage. Might be the same price as a tour for 4 people. Then you could take your time and enjoy the many sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm ...hike, gold pan, Portage Glacier, tram at Mt Alyeska, hand tram over the gorge.

In Anchorage rent bikes and ride along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Be mindful of moose along the path.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Vancouver is a fantastic beautiful city. You mentioned the highlights. You can easily spend half a day wandering along the seawall at Stanley Park, look at the totems and the rose garden will be in full bloom.

So far, I've planned one full day in Denali NP and the one day of rafting on the Nenana and a "Midnight" ATV excursion. Both excursions pick up near the entrance to the park (Glitter Gulch) so that will hopefully give us another opportunity to see the mountain (I'm thinking positive that we will be lucky both days!). QUOTE]

There is NO McKinley view from the rafting or "glitter gulch".

Myself, DH, DS 17 and DD 15 are cruising northbound on the Coral in mid-July 2012, followed by a 4 day independent land tour. I've read everything I can over the past six months, and I'm still having trouble making plans, and feel like now is the time to book things so we get what we want. This is our potential itinerary so far:

Sat. July 21--fly into Vancouver, arriving early afternoon

Sun. July 22--Vancouver

Mon. July 23--Vancouver; ship departs

Tues. July 24--at sea, inside passage

Mendenhall Glacier--as there are 4 of us, not sure if it's better to rent a car vs. MGT bus. How is driving around Juneau itself? Will we be able to park in the downtown area without difficulty, or is it better to just explore on foot? If we have a car, what else should we be sure to do?

I had wanted to whale watch here too, but kids vetoed that, and this is our last time together before DS goes off to college, so I'm willing to compromise. Also, we will not be doing any planes or helicopters due to my severe motion sickness.

I want to do WP & YRR. After some compromise on the length of the tour, considering 3.5 hr train up/bus back tour with Chilcoot Charters. Also considering there longer tour without the train, to include dog sled ride. If we don't so this, DD wants to do Homestead Husky Tour in Denali.

Sat. July 28--Glacier Bay cruising

Sun. July 29--College Fjord cruising (kids can sleep in these two days!)

Mon. July 30--arrive in Whittier

I'm thinking of taking the 3 hour Alaska Cruise Transfer & Tour, which includes stops at Portage Glacier and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. I haven't heard too much about this company, but the price is resonable, and they have B1G1 coupon in Northern Lights coupon book. They will drop off at car rental to pick up our rental car.

Not sure what else we'd like to do in Anchorage, but we'll be staying at hotel ovenight, before drive to Denali tomorrow.

Tues. July 31--drive to Denali

Will definitely sightsee along the way. Not sure of plans here. Is it worth it to drive to McKinley Princess for lunch to possibly see views of mountain? Will check-in to Princess Denali Lodge (coupon in Northern Lights.) Possibly visit Husky Homestead tonight. Is this as good as/better than dog cart ride in Skagway?

Wed. Aug. 1--Denali

Shuttle into park. Considering both Eielson and Wonder Lake. How early should we try to leave on this tour (I have 2 teenagers.) I'm assuming we won't e able to schedule anything other than dinner that night.

Thurs. Aug. 2--return to Anchorage

Kids would like to go whitewater rafting that morning. Is there a preferred company to use? I've seen all different lenght tours, as well as some with paddles, oars, or nothing at all. What is recommended?

Will clean up and drive back to Anchorage. Any activities we should do there, or recommendations for places to stop on the drive back?

Fri. Aug. 3--early AM flight home

I know this is the Alaska board, but I'm open for must do activities in our short time in Vancouver too. Considering Grousse Mountain, Stanley Park, walking around Gastown and Chinatown.

Thanks for reading so far. I welcome all help and suggestions.

Lauri

OK, my input- You have a LOT of time in Juneau to take advantage of, You may want to look further?? And frankly- if you want to whale watch, and especially if you haven't prior- I would encourage you to do so, (a few hours apart, so what, I say??? :) (I also don't compromise on what I want to do :) ). A car rental could be an excellent option, but forget about parking downtown, you will be hard pressed. A car, is best for outside the downtown. Find out about other areas that may be of interest?? Glacier Gardens? Brewery?, Chapel on the Lake? Hatchery? St Theresa's Shrine?, Douglas Island? Hiking and more hiking?? Or is downtown, your interest, Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, State Capital, Cemetery, Last Chance Mine, Mt Roberts? etc etc etc. Find out about these choices. This is a general comment, nothing more.

In Skagway, If you are looking at the Caribou Crossing "tour" without the train- I suggest, just rent a car and drive yourself there. No need for any "tour" especially x4 in pricing.

Interior Alaska- three hours is little time for the tour you are considering, the transfer will be at least 1 1/4 hour, leaves the rest divided between the other two. Again, only a suggestion, but a car rental for the day, would offer you way more, and probably, multiplied x 4 little difference compared to the transfer. this would also be of signficant benefit for Anchorage, it is a BIG spread out city. I always have a car, far more meal and hotel options and better use of short time for touring. You can enjoy and stop when and where you please on your transit back to Anchorage.

the McKinley Princess could be a meal stop, but you certainly have an excellent view of McKinley right off the Parks Highway, and no need to drive to McKinley Princess. There are also plenty of meal options in Talkeetna.

the Husky Homestead gets rave reviews, but is not a cart ride. Seavey's is also an excellent well run tour. These really can not be compared, different.

Go when you wish into Denali Park- each trip is unique. BUT, if going to Wonder Lake, you probably are going to have to be well prepared for the bugs, that can carry small children away. :)

You need to read the description on the rafting, it runs the whole range from tame to exciting. You certainly want a trip that requires "dry suits". It it doesn't- it's going to be too tame. Be prepared with the attire, it can be darn cold. :)

Take a look at http://www.anchorage.net plenty to see and do. Be certain to have a copy of THE MILEPOST, your library may have a copy to look at, Walmarts offer discounts on the purchase, in Anchorage.

We also planned a trip to Alaska in June 2009, right after my DS graduated high school, and DD was 17. Our experience was what interested them was not the same level of priority. Almost everywhere we did different activities during the day and would have a wonderful time talking about what we each experienced and now much fun it was. We still talk about this trip and how all of us had the best time ever. Part of that reason is because we all did what was most important to us.

Examples: In Juneau, DH & I went whale watching and to Mendenhall glacier in addition to checking out the city. DS went kayaking in Akue Bay and did some hiking. DD did a vigirous hike and Mendenhall Glacier, we actually ran into each other there...LOL.

During our land trip the kids had NO interest in taking the NP tour of Denali, they said the last thing they wanted to do was spend 10-12 hours on a green bus.., they went hiking and white water rafting.

Of course this was possible because one was 18 and the other was 17, they were capable of being able to do things on their own. Because we all got to our favorite things I think the trip was much more personal for each one of us. Just something to think about.

We are on the Island Princess northbound in May and it has been the hardest trip I have ever planned for. When I first saw your plans I thought they are not active enough for the kids.

Some thoughts:

Sat. July 21--fly into Vancouver, arriving early afternoon. Plan to visit Stanley Park that afternoon or Granville Island. http://www.whygocanada.com/first-time-visitors-guide-to-vancouver-bc.html

http://www.youralaskacruise.com/alaska_cruise_ports-maps.html

Have a back up plan if the weather is lousy

Sun. July 22—Vancouver Grouse Mountain --http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours Lots to do for everyone—let the kids choose one activity per day and the parents another –balance not compromise

Mon. July 23--Vancouver; ship departs I assume a lie in and walk around

Tues. July 24--at sea, inside passage Teen Club? Two teens three sea/scenic cruising days –you need plans for this. I am afraid of glacier over kill for me and I'm 62.

Definitely a car rental for a family

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400612

I had wanted to whale watch here too, Why did the kids veto this—is it for you or them? Maybe you split up for part of the day—you go whale watching –they with Dad go ziplining?

I want to do WP & YRR. After some compromise on the length of the tour, considering 3.5 hr train up/bus back tour with Chilkoot Book this now or look at Beyond Skagway who maybe able to provide teen friendly activities. Alternative ideas for Skagway after the train trip—maybe make it a gold rush day

http://www.skagway.com/

Checkout the reviews of the dog sled tours it seems to fit better in at Denali

Can't help with Denali at all but I've read reviews of folks who have done both the huskies and rafting there on CC.

Thanks for you suggestions and websites. I'm in the process of checking things out. I'm scheduling a family meeting for this weekendto talk about things, and then make plans.

Lauri

if the mountain is out you'll see it at numerous locations during the drive from Anchorage, even from downtown Anchorage on a clear day! So there's no NEED to visit Talkeetna just to see the mountain. See how you feel on that day. Here is a guide for the Parks Hwy: http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/parks_highway.html

If you're interested in sled dogs you might want to stop briefly in Wasilla to visit the Ididarod Headquarters. There's a free dog sled demo at the park ... 10, 2, 4pm I think. Check the Park web site.

As for the shuttle choose a time that works for everyone. Not noon, but there's no point in spending a day next to crabby tired teens who were forced out of bed at 6am. (arrive 20 minutes early so you can grab 2 seats on both sides of the bus; then you're not peering over strangers when the wildlife is on the opposite side.) The price differential between Eielson VC and WL is minimal so why not book WL. If you choose to hop off at Eielson instead of going all the way, you can wander around the Visitor Center and hike, and ask the dispatcher to help with an available return bus. If the mountain is out the view from EVC is stunning. There are usually a few sets of antlers nearby that make a great photo op.

As for the car rental in Juneau.... would you prefer to have the freedom to drive around a little? There's only about 50 miles of road in Juneau but you could drive north along the coast as far as one can go, stop at Eagle Beach, Shrine of StTherese, pull over to look for whales and eagles, visit a fish hatchery and Mendenhall of course. Visit the Juneau tourism web site for ideas, or borrow an Alaska travel book from your library.

In Ketchikan be sure to take the free walking tour of the town.

Have you priced a one-way car rental from Whittier to Anchorage. Might be the same price as a tour for 4 people. Then you could take your time and enjoy the many sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm ...hike, gold pan, Portage Glacier, tram at Mt Alyeska, hand tram over the gorge.

In Anchorage rent bikes and ride along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Be mindful of moose along the path.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Vancouver is a fantastic beautiful city. You mentioned the highlights. You can easily spend half a day wandering along the seawall at Stanley Park, look at the totems and the rose garden will be in full bloom.

Thanks for your websites. It's good to know we will hopefully be able to see the mountains from various places.

As far as a one day car rental to go from Whittier to Anchorage, we already have a car reserved for our four days beginning in Anchorage. We got in on the great Enterprise deal several months ago. I'm actually looking forward to the short guided tour for a quick overview on the ride to Anchorage.

I'm definitely considering the bike rentals for the Tony Knowles Costal Trail. I'm just trying to find the time, but I guess I havew to think in terms of this being Alaska in July and not home, with more daylight hours. Are businesses open later (for bike rentals) with the increased daylight hours?

Lauri

OK, my input- You have a LOT of time in Juneau to take advantage of, You may want to look further?? And frankly- if you want to whale watch, and especially if you haven't prior- I would encourage you to do so, (a few hours apart, so what, I say??? :) (I also don't compromise on what I want to do :) ). A car rental could be an excellent option, but forget about parking downtown, you will be hard pressed. A car, is best for outside the downtown. Find out about other areas that may be of interest?? Glacier Gardens? Brewery?, Chapel on the Lake? Hatchery? St Theresa's Shrine?, Douglas Island? Hiking and more hiking?? Or is downtown, your interest, Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, State Capital, Cemetery, Last Chance Mine, Mt Roberts? etc etc etc. Find out about these choices. This is a general comment, nothing more.

In Skagway, If you are looking at the Caribou Crossing "tour" without the train- I suggest, just rent a car and drive yourself there. No need for any "tour" especially x4 in pricing.

Interior Alaska- three hours is little time for the tour you are considering, the transfer will be at least 1 1/4 hour, leaves the rest divided between the other two. Again, only a suggestion, but a car rental for the day, would offer you way more, and probably, multiplied x 4 little difference compared to the transfer. this would also be of signficant benefit for Anchorage, it is a BIG spread out city. I always have a car, far more meal and hotel options and better use of short time for touring. You can enjoy and stop when and where you please on your transit back to Anchorage.

the McKinley Princess could be a meal stop, but you certainly have an excellent view of McKinley right off the Parks Highway, and no need to drive to McKinley Princess. There are also plenty of meal options in Talkeetna.

the Husky Homestead gets rave reviews, but is not a cart ride. Seavey's is also an excellent well run tour. These really can not be compared, different.

Go when you wish into Denali Park- each trip is unique. BUT, if going to Wonder Lake, you probably are going to have to be well prepared for the bugs, that can carry small children away. :)

You need to read the description on the rafting, it runs the whole range from tame to exciting. You certainly want a trip that requires "dry suits". It it doesn't- it's going to be too tame. Be prepared with the attire, it can be darn cold. :)

Take a look at www.anchorage.net plenty to see and do. Be certain to have a copy of THE MILEPOST, your library may have a copy to look at, Walmarts offer discounts on the purchase, in Anchorage.

I appreciate ALL of your input and experience.

I think we've decided to rent the car in Juneau. I'm in the process of contacting Rent A Wreck. We can spend all the time we want at the glacier, and then explore other areas along the road. I will look into all of the places you suggested.

I really want us to stay together for all our tours. I'm having separation anxiety, as DS leaves for college when we get back. We're going to have a family meeting this weekend to discuss all of our plans.

As far as the whale watching, it just seems likes it's one of those things that you're supposed to do in Juneau. I have to get over that thinking, and think about what we really want to do.

I checked out Seavey's, but that is in Seward, and we will not be heading in that direction on this trip. I think we'll do Huskey Homestead near Denali, to make DD very happy witht he puppies. That may be our first night activity, and then we can do Whitewater rafting on the day we leave, giving us a full day to go to Wonder Lake, hike and explore.

Our library does not have The Milepost, but Amazon has it for less than $20. I'll look into getting this.

One other question that I've never seen mentioned. I've seen pictures in guidebooks of th HUGE produce that grows due to the extreme sunlight and long growing days. Do you know where we can see that? You can't exactly just pull up to someone's backyard. Are there farms/farmer's markets where we can see this?

Thanks.

Lauri

We also planned a trip to Alaska in June 2009, right after my DS graduated high school, and DD was 17. Our experience was what interested them was not the same level of priority. Almost everywhere we did different activities during the day and would have a wonderful time talking about what we each experienced and now much fun it was. We still talk about this trip and how all of us had the best time ever. Part of that reason is because we all did what was most important to us.

Examples: In Juneau, DH & I went whale watching and to Mendenhall glacier in addition to checking out the city. DS went kayaking in Akue Bay and did some hiking. DD did a vigirous hike and Mendenhall Glacier, we actually ran into each other there...LOL.

During our land trip the kids had NO interest in taking the NP tour of Denali, they said the last thing they wanted to do was spend 10-12 hours on a green bus.., they went hiking and white water rafting.

Of course this was possible because one was 18 and the other was 17, they were capable of being able to do things on their own. Because we all got to our favorite things I think the trip was much more personal for each one of us. Just something to think about.

It is something to think about. My kids will be slightly younger (just shy of 18 and 15), but they're not ones to just go off on their own, unless all their friends were there. They still stay with us when we go to Disney, and they've been there almost every year of their lives.

Lauri

"I'm definitely considering the bike rentals for the Tony Knowles Costal Trail. I'm just trying to find the time, but I guess I havew to think in terms of this being Alaska in July and not home, with more daylight hours. Are businesses open later (for bike rentals) with the increased daylight hours?" QUOTE....

We rented bikes in the afternoon and rode the beautiful trail. We saw moose along the trail in several spots. We rode about 25 miles and loved it! The scenery was awesome. The bike place was closed when we got back, but we were given a chain and lock and shown where to lock the bikes up when we were done. ( We had both the Northern Lights and Toursaver coupons books but I don't remember which book had a coupon for the bikes. It was $8 for each of us with the coupon )

One other question that I've never seen mentioned. I've seen pictures in guidebooks of th HUGE produce that grows due to the extreme sunlight and long growing days. Do you know where we can see that? You can't exactly just pull up to someone's backyard. Are there farms/farmer's markets where we can see this?

This is in the area around Palmer--don't recollect what day their market is on.

I checked out Seavey's, but that is in Seward, and we will not be heading in that direction on this trip. I think we'll do Huskey Homestead near Denali, to make DD very happy witht he puppies. That may be our first night activity, and then we can do Whitewater rafting on the day we leave, giving us a full day to go to Wonder Lake, hike and explore.

Don't forget about the free dogsled demo at Denali

Our library does not have The Milepost, but Amazon has it for less than $20. I'll look into getting this.

You can also buy a used edition on amazon for under $5. My 2009 is just fine ... the hwys and towns haven't changed!

There's an experimental farm in Palmer. I went there on my first road trip to Alaska. http://www.cityofpalmer.org/index.asp?SEC={E5C383A1-8AA5-493C-95E3-9EB7C54E6A9F}&Type=B_BASIC

There's also a farmers market on Sat in Anchorage. Google for info.

And there's the state fair in Palmer. I think it starts just after mid August.

If Denali is out you WILL see it just driving up and stopping at the viewing sites along the road! It is HARD to miss.

I definitely can understand the challenges in cruising with kids, and especially teens. I can see 12 hours on a bus in Denali might feel like toture to them! :)

I agree with the other advisors, that the train and bus in Skagway may also be too long, but the train is SO full of history, and we saw more bear on the drive the Emerald Lake than we did in Denali.

I would whale watch in Juneau and then go to Mendelhall. Harv and Marv are awesome and it was unique seeing whales in a small boat. The up close and personal of the whales, sea lions and eagles could not be beat. I have been on many whale watches for grey whales and saw tons more whales in Juneua than I ever did in San Diego.

Ziplines were another things my teens liked doing...*shivers*.

There are active excursions in every port and I would look at the crusie line website and here to see what is out there for inspiration.

Good luck with planning!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've spent the past several days researching and booking.

I booked a midsize car in Juneau through Rent A Wreck for only $57.50 for the day, including tax.

I changed our potential Princess Denali stay to a B & B in Healy for half the price, and we have 3 beds there!

Booked our hotels for Anchorage and Vancouver too.

Will probably book the shuttle to Wonder Lake this week; we're still deciding on a time. I did hear back with prices from Chilcoot Charters, and I'm waiting to hear back from Alaska Transfers and Tours.

Thanks, because I really needed the encouragement to start booking things, and now I can't stop ;).

Lauri

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've spent the past several days researching and booking.

I booked a midsize car in Juneau through Rent A Wreck for only $57.50 for the day, including tax.

I changed our potential Princess Denali stay to a B & B in Healy for half the price, and we have 3 beds there!

Booked our hotels for Anchorage and Vancouver too.

Will probably book the shuttle to Wonder Lake this week; we're still deciding on a time. I did hear back with prices from Chilcoot Charters, and I'm waiting to hear back from Alaska Transfers and Tours.

Thanks, because I really needed the encouragement to start booking things, and now I can't stop ;).

Lauri

Once you finish booking everything then it's time to start shopping! ;):D

Archived