RC vs Carnival? How is the Monarch of the Seas?

Looking for a cruise in May. I've cruised Carnival twice and NCL once, but long ago so I don't remember it as well as Carnival. The cruise ships we have as options for the time/place we want to go for Carnival are the Ecstasy and the Fascination. Our other option is the RC Monarch of the Seas. Which would you recommend? I've heard bad things about the Ecstasy and Fascination and so I'm wondering if we should go with RC? How different is RC cruises from Carnival? We're a 22 and 23 year old couple if that helps!

As much as I love Royal Caribbean, I'd have to say that Monarch is their oldest ship. However, there are a lot of very positive reports on the Monarch. I have been on the Majesty (very similar ship) and had a great time. The cruise lines are more alike than different. Just a few things here and there. I have been on the Imagination (similar ship to the Carnival ones you mentioned). I prefer the layout on the RCI ship over that of the Carnival ones.

I think another point to look at would be the private island day. Is this something that interests you? If so I'd spring for the Monarch. I, personally, love private island relaxing beach days.

I would take the Monarch over any of the Carnival ships currently sailing the same short itineraries. Been there and done that on those smaller Carnival ships and they leave a lot to be desired. The only thing that Carnival has going for it are the larger standard staterooms but on a shorter cruise, most don't spend much time in the cabin.

It sounds like you are looking to sail out of port canaveral or jacksonville. I looked at the Ectasy for Half Moon Cay and it is a updated(evolutions of fun ship) so that is a better ship than the Monarch or Majaety. If you want a step up, try the RCL Jewel out of Tampa. Tampa is only about an hour further drive than Port Canaveral and you get a Western itinerary.

we have been on the monarch as well as the carnival fantasy & sensation. we are sailing the monarch again. it brought me to royal and made me a believer. I thought the food and entertainment was better on the carnival ships but I like the layout of the monarch as welll as the ship itself. I like the homey feeling and not the vegas lights of carnival. not to mention I'd rather go to cococay instead of freeport.

Looking for a cruise in May. I've cruised Carnival twice and NCL once, but long ago so I don't remember it as well as Carnival. The cruise ships we have as options for the time/place we want to go for Carnival are the Ecstasy and the Fascination. Our other option is the RC Monarch of the Seas. Which would you recommend? I've heard bad things about the Ecstasy and Fascination and so I'm wondering if we should go with RC? How different is RC cruises from Carnival? We're a 22 and 23 year old couple if that helps!

Whatever you do, DO NOT book the Fascination. That ship has seen better days and breaks all the time. I was on Monarch last year and albeit a small ship it's in good shape for it's age and the staff will out beat Carnival staff anyday.

Being young you will enjoy the party atmospher of the Monarch! Lots of things to do and great staff to make your stay enjoyable.

I was on Fascination 2 years ago and we spent 4 out of a 5 day cruise stuck in Nassau because the engine died. We left Nassau and spent 1 day at sea on one leg getting back to JAX. That cruise sucked and the staff was horrible.

Based on pictures of the Fantasy class alone, I would take the Monarch over ANY ship in that fleet.

adding waterslides do not make the ship "better" IMO.

I cant stand that hideous decor..........although the Monarch is old, I think she is very classy looking in the public areas.

I like the Monarch better than the Fantasy class ships, but can't say I love either of them.

Food and entertainment are probably going to be fairly equal. Even though she's the oldest in the fleet, the Monarch is a nicer ship than the Fantasy class. The cabins are very small on Monarch, but the public areas are nice and the decoration is more upscale, as opposed to the neon, 80's Vegas style older Carnival ships.

Most prefer Cococay over Freeport.

I'd pick the Monarch any day.

Archived