Qantas Carryons - How Strict???

GrammieK

Will be heading to OZ soon on Qantas and noticed that, while you can take two carryons pp, the weight limit is 15 lbs each. Are they very strict about adhering to the weight? I would hate to leave all those extra shoes at home...

Thanks!

Although not the strictest in the business, Qantas is known for sometimes weighing cabin baggage, so don't push your luck. If you're a bit overweight, the tricks are to make sure that the bag is much smaller than the limit and that when you carry it, you make it look as light as a feather even if it's heavier than that.

Are you flying in economy? If so, you might want to read the cabin baggage allowance more closely. On international flights, economy passengers are allowed one 115 cm (45 in) bag each, maximum weight 7 kg (15 lb) per piece. As an alternative, they can take one 185 cm (73 in) non rigid garment bag with the same maximum weight.

Thanks Globaliser for your speedy reply and sharing your knowledge. We are flying business (sold our first born), but I do not want to start off with a problem.

So, be prepared for weight check and make the bag look light. NO complaining about how heavy or straining as I make it to the gate....

Thanks again!

Just don't have way too much stuff. I've seen Qantas weigh carryon bags at the point of check in.

Business class service and food are outstanding on Qantas. Likely the best meals I've ever been served in flight.

I did get bored due to the length of the flights after sleeping a very long time and having nothing much to do. Now that I have a Kindle, I am not worried about boredom on long flights. A few months of traveling with my Kindle and I am a much happier person.

How true! Love my Kindle and really enjoy using it on planes. I save so much space in my luggage, not having to carry umpteen books for a long vacation. (and I still overpack!!!)

I will try to keep the weight down (in the carryon, at least) and I look forward to the great food and service on Qantas. Thanks for the tip.

We flew Qantas two years ago and before we checked in they actually put up a scale at the entry point. They did not weigh our carryons but I was sweating it as I was a little over the 15 pound limit. I wanted to make sure that if they lost our luggage then we would be able to have a couple days of clothes but everything went well for us an our luggage got to Sydney. I was very relieved when I saw it on the carasel. We flew aa from west palm beach Florida to lax and checked the bags all the way through to Sydney when we checked in in FL and aa did their job. I always worry until I see them on the carasel and then again until they are outside our cabin on the ship hour last trip to Barcelona. They lost our bags on the way back but we got them the next, morning so it was no big deal. Enjoy your trip.

We have flown on Alitalia which limits carryons to just under 18 pounds and they also weigh them.

I love Scottevest jackets anyway, but they are perfect for this type of situation. If you're not familiar with them, Scottevest jackets have a lot of pockets (often 18 or more) with many interior pockets. One interior pocket on many styles is large enough for an iPad! I put A LOT of my smaller things in those pockets before going to the airport. After my carryon has been weighed, I put many of those items back in my carryon and wear the jacket during the flight.

The interior pockets are also great to protect against pickpockets. These jackets are available at Scottevest.com. They are addictive though. I bought my first one a couple years ago and now I have 5 of them (different weights for different temperatures.)

As you get older, the utility of a Scottevest starts to diminish.....as you forget which pocket you put what into. You spend so much time patting yourself searching for something....it's almost as if you are your own private TSA agent. :D

On a serious note, you could easily have 30 pounds of stuff in your jacket. Put in all your electronics, spare batteries, books, i-whatevers and your carryon will be just some spare socks and the like. This is written by a customer with a number of their products.

As you get older, the utility of a Scottevest starts to diminish.....as you forget which pocket you put what into. You spend so much time patting yourself searching for something....it's almost as if you are your own private TSA agent. :D
That was a mug of tea nearly splashed all over my computer screen! :D

What a great idea, one which I would never have thought of! Thanks again for all of the great info.

I guess I am just wary after our last flight out of Istanbul on AirFrance. I was sure that I measured my carryons and they complied with the required limits. They were accepted just fine out of JFK. As we approached the ticket counter, exhausted, etc. the ticket agent said that our carryons looked too big. She motioned us to the measuring rack and sure enough, the carryon slide right in. Unfortunately, it did not slide right out. I was so embarrassed, holding up the line waiting for someone to help. Apparently, I was not the only one that gained a little on the cruise..... Now I try to pay special attention to the rules....

You got me too!

Scottevest has been running some astonishing sales lately. Check their WEB site for the daily special.

Magellans has similar jackets with better zippers.

And yes I have 'lost' things in the pockets.

Archived