RCL Explorer vs NCL Star to Bermuda

CK77

My wife and I are planning to sail to Bermuda for our 30th Wedding Anniversary the first week of October. We will be sailing out of New York.

The only two ships going to Bermuda in this time frame are the RCL Explorer and the NCL Star. They both have just about the same itinerary and time in Bermuda. Going to their websites and punching in Balconies, the cost is very close for both cruise lines, so that’s not a deciding factor.

We would like your opinions on the Pro’s and Con’s of both ships. Right now we are on the fence which way to go.

We had our first ever Cruise last year on the Caribbean Princess and overall we really enjoyed the experience.

Here is what we really liked from our first cruising experience on the CB:

We really liked the Buffet and the Breakfast Buffet.

We preferred the Specialty Restaurants over the MDR.

We really liked the Entertainment in the lounges at night like the Comedy acts.

Room size, which ship has the better balcony rooms etc?

We are in our mid 50's.

Thanks

We've sailed numerous times on the Explorer, and on many NCL ships, although not the Star (we have been on her sister ship, the Dawn, many times), including many cruises to Bermuda.

Here's my take:

I slightly prefer NCL's buffet to the Explorer's.

If you prefer to eat at specialty restaurants, NCL wins hands down. The Star has many specialty restaurants offering a variety of cuisines...French, Italian, steakhouse, Asian Fusion, teppanyaki, sushi. Explorer has only an Italian restaurant.

Explorer's balcony cabins are probably a touch larger than NCL's.

Entertainment is similar. Both will have entertainment in the main show room and in a couple of bars or lounges.

NCL has no formal nights and overall a more casual dress code. You can wear shorts to dinner in all but two restaurants...one of the MDRs and one of the specialty restaurants (usually the French restaurant).

Explorer has a nice adults-only outdoor pool area. NCL does not.

NCL has no fixed dining room seatings. All dining is "Freestyle". On the Explorer that is an option with limited seating availability.

Demographics on each will be similar. You won't have a lot of kids at that time of the year as school is in session. We are in our 60's and are happy on either cruise line.

Overall we slightly prefer the NCL ships to the Explorer, but that's just a matter of personal taste. We would make the choice based on price, all other things being equal...but in your case that probably doesn't help as you say the prices are about equal.

One "advantage" Explorer has IMHO is that it leaves from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ which, if you are driving to port, is infinitely easier (and cheaping) for parking.. we were in and out of the lot in less than 5 minutes on embark and disembark.

While parking at Cape Liberty is definitely cheaper ($19 per day versus $30 in NY) I thoroughly disagree about the ease and speed of getting in and out (especially getting in). On more than one occasion at Cape Liberty it has taken us 45 minutes to an hour to get to the baggage drop off point from the entrance to the Cape Liberty complex on Route 440, while in NY you I've never experienced even a minute's delay in getting from the port entrance to the parking lot on the pier's roof.

While parking at Cape Liberty is definitely cheaper ($19 per day versus $30 in NY) I thoroughly disagree about the ease and speed of getting in and out (especially getting in). On more than one occasion at Cape Liberty it has taken us 45 minutes to an hour to get to the baggage drop off point from the entrance to the Cape Liberty complex on Route 440, while in NY you I've never experienced even a minute's delay in getting from the port entrance to the parking lot on the pier's roof.

Is parking at Cape Liberty Safe?

Is parking at Cape Liberty Safe?

It's safe (it's also safe in NY)...but over the years there have been occasional problems with cars being damaged (my own included) by paint overspray from the drydock operation at Cape Liberty. They've recently instituted some preventative measures, such as draping the ship's hull with a tarp in an attempt to prevent the paint from traveling far enough to damage cars in the parking lot.

For what it's worth, my husband and I have sailed out of New York on both the NCL Gem and the Explorer of the Seas. Personally, I loved the cruise out of downtown Manhattan rather than the cruise out of Bayonne. Yes Bayonne was easier and slightly less expensive, but the experience of sailing up the Hudson on a Sunday afternnon along the Manhattan shoreline was just an incredible experience. With reagards to the ships, we prefer the Explorer layout, food and overall experience. We are in our mid 40's and will be taking the Explorer to Bermuda on September 23, 2012 for my birthday. We loved Bermuda and thoroughly enjoyed travelling all over the island on our scooter, stopping at will where and when we wanted.

I'ts your anniversary and you are on a cruise ship with the one you love so I am sure you will have a wonderful time whichever ship you choose.

Kris

Hi,

I haven't ever been on the other ship, but I have taken Explorer of the Seas. I enjoyed the ship in some ways, but was disappointed in others. The shows were just wonderful, and the service was great. The food was pretty good, but not great. I found the ship itself to look a little "tired" and not up to the usual Royal Caribbean style. We didn't have a balcony, so I can't speak to that issue.

Either way, I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

We have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas twice ... it is my children's favorite ship (outside of Disney). We enjoy the ice skating, inline skating, rock wall, and the ease of finding an open ping pong table ... all which are lacking on the Star.

That having been said, we will be sailing to Bermuda on the Star (though, mostly because it is both cheaper and we'll be in Bermuda longer during the only week we are free to travel).

We've sailed out of Bayonne 4 times (once on Celebrity, Voyager, and twice Explorer)... I also would disagree with the ease of getting in (and out, if you are waiting for a driver) of Bayonne. We call our driver at the moment they call our "color/number" ... it takes a bit to get off of the ship, get transported to the waiting area, gather your bags, etc. And we still have to wait 30 minutes to 1 hour for our driver to get to us. It takes up to 30 minutes to get in to be dropped off to.

My children and I sailed out of NYC once (my husband refused to even think of it). We were sailing on a Carnival Cruise. It was so easy in and out of the port ... though getting into Manhattan and of it has it's own set of problems. However, it was easy enough that I convinced my husband to look at the Star. I think our driver will be charging us an additional $100, though.

From the reviews I have seen, it seems like the NCL staff may be more friendly and attentive, but since I haven't been on the ship, I can't verify that. Of course NCL has the free style dining (for good or bad).

I will say that I think my family is "quirky" and our wait staff and cabins stewart on the Explorer have ALWAYS been appropriately attentive.

The one time we had a problem on the Explorer (a staff member was rude to my very young daughter -- in my presence), one complaint resulted in my daughter receiving a little stuffed animal, and a few other small items that made her happy. And, no, she hadn't done anything wrong ... she was one of those little ones who held onto Mommy's skirts. I suppose everyone has a bad day ... other than that, I can't recall a single negative component of our trip on the Explorer.

Though I will be avoiding the Explorer when college students can be present (e.g., spring break), unless you like their rowdiness and colorful language! I'm guessing the same is true about NCL. October is a great time to avoid such "activity"

We are looking forward to a more laid back trip on NCL. I even expect to get a bit of reading done ... but I will miss the skating and wall.

Hmm...tough choice! Since you will be celebrating an anniversary, have you considered a suite? If so, NCL has wonderful suites. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Penthouse on the Star a couple years ago and it was a wonderful experience (10002 on the bow! Amazing balcony and great suite perks). We also prefer the relaxed dress code on the Star and the alternative dining options.

With that being said, however, Explorer of the Seas is perhaps my most memorable ship. Lots to do on board. This was many years ago, so I don't know what kind of condition she is in now.

Good luck with your decision! We are headed to Bermuda in May on the Veendam because of the itinerary. This time, it is all about the destination for us instead of the ship.

My husband and I have cruised to Bermuda 2 times on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty, NJ. We love the Explorer and all it has to offer.

Since we live in Vermont, driving to NJ and staying overnight in Jersey City then heading to Bayonne terminal mid morning is the way to go. We have never had a bad experience. We have gotten in and out of the terminal without much delay. Our cruises have been in late April and early October. The weather was absolutely wonderful. Plenty of sunshine and warm temps. Never too hot. We are cruising to Bermuda again this May with our daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and friends on the Explorer.

My recommendation would be to choose the Explorer - I have never cruised on any other cruise line, so I can't give you a real comparison. We love RC.

Archived