Solstice Solarium Pool Policy Change?

SCGirl3211

I read in a recent (12/11) review of Solstice that the Solarium Pool, which is suppose to be adult only is now opened to children for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are the hours children are allowed? Why the change?

I read in a recent (12/11) review of Solstice that the Solarium Pool, which is suppose to be adult only is now opened to children for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are the hours children are allowed? Why the change?

Yes, was that way on solstice in Nov 2011.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

We were on a B2B from 12/11 to 12/26; for the first week, the sign was up saying that the Solarium was open to children during certain hours but for the second week, they went back to the regular "adults only" guidelines. I overheard a staff member say that it was because of the Norovirus on board but I couldn't see how the two were connected.

I certainly hope that was a short term fix for some issue that we aren't aware of. Selling the Solarium Pool as adults only means it should be adults only during all hours. That pool is small and the atmosphere of that area is quiet relaxation. Many adults enjoy that spot for reading and enjoy the peace and quiet there. Let's hope it stays that way. Something for everyone!!

I can't say one way or the other about whether there were designated "kids allowed" times in the Solarium pool, but I do know for sure that, on our Dec 18-26th sailing, all rules about "adult only" areas/pools were completely ignored by everyone - including the crew. Nobody enforced any rules in that respect what-so-ever.

I do not know what the current policy is, or how it is being enforced. I will say, though, that I am in favor of opening the pool for a couple hours a day to children in the circumstances where weather does not permit them to use the outdoor pools. I no longer have young children, but I certainly remember what it is like to cruise with them. Put yourself in the position of a parent with an eight year old, you are on a cruise to Alaska and the weather is 50 degrees and raining, and there is a nice pool on the ship but they can't use it. Ugh. Not a pretty sight!!

I am not going to suggest going crazy and allowing them full reign - the peace and quiet of that area is a decided selling point IMHO, but in the interest of trying to accomodate everyone that seems like a reasonable approach to me. I would definitely ensure that the rules and timeframes were strictly enforced, and would only go this route when the weather made the other pools unusable.

Due to cold weather the outdoor pool was open but it was too cold out so they let the kids use the solarium for limited hours.

Due to cold weather the outdoor pool was open but it was too cold out so they let the kids use the solarium for limited hours.

In those circumstances I somewhat understand. When you go on a cruise in winter months there are going to be times when an outdoor pool cannot be used. You kind of understand that going in. That said, our cruise is in the middle of March so hopefully that will not be an issue!! And hopefully it will not be an on-going thing once the outdoor pool can be used daily.

Thanks for the responses and clarification!

I do not know what the current policy is, or how it is being enforced. I will say, though, that I am in favor of opening the pool for a couple hours a day to children in the circumstances where weather does not permit them to use the outdoor pools. I no longer have young children, but I certainly remember what it is like to cruise with them. Put yourself in the position of a parent with an eight year old, you are on a cruise to Alaska and the weather is 50 degrees and raining, and there is a nice pool on the ship but they can't use it. Ugh. Not a pretty sight!!

I am not going to suggest going crazy and allowing them full reign - the peace and quiet of that area is a decided selling point IMHO, but in the interest of trying to accomodate everyone that seems like a reasonable approach to me. I would definitely ensure that the rules and timeframes were strictly enforced, and would only go this route when the weather made the other pools unusable.

If I was doing an Alaskan cruise at a time of year that it could be 50 degrees and raining, I would fully expect that the main pool would be unusable. We book with the knowledge that the Solarium is "kid free". So, why bring kids on such a cruise IF they "Must have a pool"?. Take them to a warmer climate.

I have kids and grand-kids BUT some things have to be kid-free and some of us book with these things in mind. I would be very vocal if kids entered ares that I thought to be kid-free when I made the booking.

Can someone remind me of the age of "children" not allowed in the Solarium pool area. Think it's sixteen. And how do they check?

We are travelling with our teens...ages 18 and 15 3/4 byt the time of the cruise. My youngest would probably love to lounge and read by the solarium pool but I was thinking they wouldn't allow it.

Just wondering....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it considered a fraudulent business practice to sell/advertise something one way and then deliver a completely different, and inferior, product or service?

I guess the way for X to get around it would be to say that the ship's Captain gave the command to allow kids in the advertised "adults only" area.

We have experienced children, some in diapers, the older ones often screeching and plowing into adult users of the "adults only" pool, on three separate Celebrity cruises. I no longer count on the "adults only" area as a special place to relax. I have reported it each and every time, and sometimes something was done - until the next parent came with a child (or a child wandered in on their own!) and ignored the sign. I don't find getting up and reporting the same problem every 15 or 20 minutes to be relaxing.

Once I pointed to the small sign by the hot tub, and the mother of the child in a diaper in the hot tub told me, "I don't speak English."

We never cruise during summers or school vacations, so we try to be diligent in our timing.

A couple of simple things would go a long way towards fixing the problem, IMHO: 1. Larger signage, in several languages, with symbols, placed outside each entry door to the area, and 2. Having one of the towel dispensing staff walk through the area every 15 minutes for the purpose of informing and correcting, not just observing and ignoring.

It's been our favorite area of the ships, but we have been using it less and less frequently because it's really not kept as a quiet, relaxing adult area, in our experience. We don't count on it as an amenity any more and now look at sea days as negative aspects of an itinerary. Our next booked X cruise has only one sea day out of twelve.

Can someone remind me of the age of "children" not allowed in the Solarium pool area. Think it's sixteen. And how do they check?

We are travelling with our teens...ages 18 and 15 3/4 byt the time of the cruise. My youngest would probably love to lounge and read by the solarium pool but I was thinking they wouldn't allow it.

Just wondering....

If your "almost 16" year old is acting like an adult, I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind would find a problem with them being included and welcome in the solarium. I, for one, wouldn't report the presence of a 6 year old who was quietly reading or coloring.

It's really all about peace, quiet and minimizing bodily excretions in the pool.

On the ships we were on, the age was 16, but they don't actually check ID for ages.

Just wondering....

Well I guess that your youngest has another 70+ years to do this. We seniors have to make the best of our time left and is it too much to ask that 1 area be kiddie free?

I certainly hope that was a short term fix for some issue that we aren't aware of. Selling the Solarium Pool as adults only means it should be adults only during all hours. That pool is small and the atmosphere of that area is quiet relaxation. Many adults enjoy that spot for reading and enjoy the peace and quiet there. Let's hope it stays that way. Something for everyone!!

Absolutely...

Well I guess that your youngest has another 70+ years to do this. We seniors have to make the best of our time left and is it too much to ask that 1 area be kiddie free?

We will respect whatever is expected of us and are not looking to break the rules. I just wondered what the age limit was. And, honestly, if you saw my daughter or spoke with her, you'd think she was older than he age. But I'm not looking to break rules.

I think there is a far cry between 15 3/4 and 'kiddie'. The OP was specifically asking about her nearly 16 year old.

And, I it drives me crazy when I read about such 'kid bashing'. I've seen many, many out of control and loud in the 20 - 30 year age range. I'd rather take a polite, respectful teen or pre-teen over a rambunctious mid-20 something anyday.

Frankly, my 13 year old looks like she could pass for 16. If I'm in the solarium with her and she is doing nothing but reading a quiet book, I don't have a problem with her being with me.

:mad: Stay home if you don't want to be around children. You "seniors" have spent too much time being mean to things and people that you dislike. It's a cruise ship, a vacation for people. Those kids paid to be there just like you did. If a child is unruly, then blame the parents, but don't punish a well mannered child just because of their age.... Unbelievable....

:mad: Stay home if you don't want to be around children. You "seniors" have spent too much time being mean to things and people that you dislike. It's a cruise ship, a vacation for people. Those kids paid to be there just like you did. If a child is unruly, then blame the parents, but don't punish a well mannered child just because of their age.... Unbelievable....

People buy a cruise product on the basis of the amenities that are advertised. If they care about certain elements that have been advertised (such as an adults-only indoor pool), then in general, that is what they should receive when they arrive on board. Others should not buy the same product thinking they can can change the rules when they get on board.

So in general, I support the position that if the Solarium is advertised as adults-only, that is what it should be. However, if a child is almost sixteen, looks sixteen and behaves in an appropriate adult manner, I doubt that anyone would even challenge her being at the indoor pool, and personally, I would always be okay with such a person joining her mother and sister at the pool. In no way is her presence there undermining the intent of the "adults only" restrictions.

If, due to exceptional circumstances, the outdoor pools are not available, I would also support opening the Solarium on a limited basis for children accompanied by their parents. Can you imagine telling a 4-year-old that she is not allowed in ANY pool on the ship? After all, her parents bought the cruise thinking a pool would be available. It is a very sad thing to have to crush a little one's expectations.

I think we all just have to be a little generous in exceptional circumstances.

Having said that, I do NOT support opening the Solarium to children on an ongoing, everyday basis, especially when the outdoor pool is available to children. Having an adult-only pool fits with the type of cruise client that Celebrity markets to. But I think that, without too much sacrifice on anyone's part, we can be fair to those WITH children and WITHOUT children. After all, desiring a more sedate, adults-only area is not just a seniors issue.

And I'd like to think that we can discuss the options without bashing one another.

On our Solstice B2B, there was a sign on the entrance to the Solarium stating that it was open to accompanied children for one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon. (I can't recall the exact times) We spent a lot of time in the Solarium and never had any problems. There were very few children on board and if they were in the Solarium at the allowed times, or any other times, they were very unobtrusive. We are seniors and wouldn't begrudge children some time to swim in the indoor pool if it was too cold to use the out door one.

Sheila

Thanks, all, for your thoughtful and heartfelt replies. I can see both sides of this issue and agree with ForeveratSea that the issue is more about respecting the Solarium pool as a place for calm and relaxation. Frankly, my husband is more likely to act like a child than my daughter :)

And I agree that if Celebrity bills its cruises as having an adults-only space, folks should expect that. But if the weather is foul for a day or so, I see no harm in opening the space at times to children. But I wouldn't allow kids in when the outdoor pool is open.

We will do what we think best when we are on the cruise. Really looking forward to it!

People buy a cruise product on the basis of the amenities that are advertised. If they care about certain elements that have been advertised (such as an adults-only indoor pool), then in general, that is what they should receive when they arrive on board. Others should not buy the same product thinking they can can change the rules when they get on board.
. Hold on here while I rant...

Nobody is talking about changing the rules, just defining them. What qualifies as an "Adult"? My 12 year old is more "adult" than some 40 years olds I know. It was wondered if a 15 3/4 year old could read a book there, but according to some, THAT is unacceptable because of 3 months and that that child has 70 years to do that.

So, why bring kids on such a cruise IF they "Must have a pool"?. Take them to a warmer climate.
it was this comment that really set me off. Really? If you MUST have an adults only area, go on an ADULTS only cruise. They are out there.... This is probably one of those people that hog an outdoor pool chair while they "relax" in the solarium. :eek: that was mean, but it felt right...:rolleyes:

So in general, I support the position that if the Solarium is advertised as adults-only, that is what it should be. However, if a child is almost sixteen, looks sixteen and behaves in an appropriate adult manner, I doubt that anyone would even challenge her being at the indoor pool, and personally, I would always be okay with such a person joining her mother and sister at the pool. In no way is her presence there undermining the intent of the "adults only" restrictions.
. Not according to "the senior", who would be "very vocal"...

If, due to exceptional circumstances, the outdoor pools are not available, I would also support opening the Solarium on a limited basis for children accompanied by their parents. Can you imagine telling a 4-year-old that she is not allowed in ANY pool on the ship? After all, her parents bought the cruise thinking a pool would be available. It is a very sad thing to have to crush a little one's expectations.

I think we all just have to be a little generous in exceptional circumstances.

. Agreed!

Having said that, I do NOT support opening the Solarium to children on an ongoing, everyday basis, especially when the outdoor pool is available to children. Having an adult-only pool fits with the type of cruise client that Celebrity markets to. But I think that, without too much sacrifice on anyone's part, we can be fair to those WITH children and WITHOUT children. After all, desiring a more sedate, adults-only area is not just a seniors issue.
Celebrity markets to anyone that has the money to come on their ships. They market to everyone, kids, familes, seniors, teens , college students, CEOs, sanitation workers, DINKs, chefs, teachers. If you have the money, Celebrity, or should I say RCI, will take it. These shorter (5-7 night) cruises are actually geared more towards families, people that have only a set amount of time to be away from jobs and schools. If you truly want an "adults" only cruise, a transatlantic voyage or a 17 or 20 night cruise that younger people and families can't be on might be the ticket. I agree that it is nice to have a quiet area to relax, reflect, cozy up with a book, etc, but to be obnoxious about it, kinda defeats the purpose. If I'm there, and my child is there with me, not bothering anyone, just quietly reading a book, and some person, young or old, comes up to me demanding that my under the age of 16 child must leave because this is an adults only area and it was advertised as such, I would be a bit perturbed that this obnoxious person was disturbing our peace and quiet to be petty.

And I'd like to think that we can discuss the options without bashing one another.
I'm not bashing, just speaking my mind and stating the facts. In any case, I spent way too much time addressing this, and I'll not waste anymore time on it. Hope everyone enjoys their cruise.

I can't help but comment on a couple of points made here.

. Hold on here while I rant...

Nobody is talking about changing the rules, just defining them. What qualifies as an "Adult"? ...My 12 year old is more "adult" than some 40 years olds I know. It was wondered if a 15 3/4 year old could read a book there, but according to some, THAT is unacceptable because of 3 months and that that child has 70 years to do that.

I would have agreed with some of what you have said, if it wasn't for the inflammatory way it was said. Your anger and sarcasm defeats your argument.

What "qualifies" as an adult on a Celebrity ship is exactly what Celebrity decides it to be. It is their ship, not yours. If they want to establish some rule based on age, they have every right to do so. As a private enterprise, they are the moderators of what is and isn't appropriate on their ships by establishing rules they feel are in line with the product they are promoting. No different than the non-smoking rules. We wouldn't allow someone to smoke on their balcony just because they think they are more "adult" than the people in the next cabin.

That you think your 12 year old is more adult than some 40 year olds is of no consequence. The rules are what they are. It is only Celebrity who has the authority to adjust the rules as they set fit, for whatever reason. Would you let your 12 year old drive the family car because you believe him/her to be more adult than some 40 year olds?

Some of us actually make decisions about what line to cruise on based in part on the rules and policies established by that line. The non-smoking policy is a good example. Many of us prefer Celebrity in great part for the consideration they have shown those of us who dislike having to deal with second hand smoke.

Archived