Solstice Solarium Pool Policy Change?

SCGirl3211

Some of you parents need to calm down! There are plenty of pool areas for kids to roam. In fact, kids have their own area(s) where Adults are Restricted- imagine that. What is wrong with having an adult only area on the ship? Kids are allowed in a lot more places on ships than they used to be.

Well I guess that your youngest has another 70+ years to do this. We seniors have to make the best of our time left and is it too much to ask that 1 area be kiddie free?

Apparently many don't feel that way because they they bring their grandkids with them. :confused:

. Hold on here while I rant...

Nobody is talking about changing the rules, just defining them. What qualifies as an "Adult"? My 12 year old is more "adult" than some 40 years olds I know. It was wondered if a 15 3/4 year old could read a book there, but according to some, THAT is unacceptable because of 3 months and that that child has 70 years to do that.

Try using reasoning to get into a bar and drink if you are under drinking age, or applying for a drivers license, or registering to vote.

Then on the other hand if some kid does something that is criminal they may get off because they are under age.

Or how about the poor kid that has sex with another that is under age by 3 months? They get prosecuted even though there was consent.

You can say that those are extreme examples but the age limit is there and it should be enforced without exception.

The problem today is too many feel that rules only apply to others and not them.

. Hold on here while I rant...

Nobody is talking about changing the rules, just defining them. What qualifies as an "Adult"? My 12 year old is more "adult" than some 40 years olds I know. It was wondered if a 15 3/4 year old could read a book there, but according to some, THAT is unacceptable because of 3 months and that that child has 70 years to do that.

I would agree with you here, expect for the fact that this would obviously set a very bad precedent, as far as Celebrity is concerned. What would happen if they posted a sign at the door of the Solarium that said "Adults and well-behaved kids only. No brats allowed"?

People buy a cruise product on the basis of the amenities that are advertised. If they care about certain elements that have been advertised (such as an adults-only indoor pool), then in general, that is what they should receive when they arrive on board. Others should not buy the same product thinking they can can change the rules when they get on board.
Agreed! My teenager may be quiet and well-behaved, but if they allow my teenager, then they also need to allow other teenagers and it is no longer an adults-only area.

Many passengers who respect the rules, rather than trying to defy or circumvent them, will choose a different cruise line or ship when traveling with their children or grandchildren than the one they would choose when traveling without them.

I find it amusing whenever there is a thread about bringing children on cruise ships how those who post always claim that their own children are very well-behaved. Somehow the trouble makers are always someone else's children. :D

Apparently many don't feel that way because they they bring their grandkids with them. :confused:

Thats fine, I would take my Grand-kids if I could afford to.

Several people seem to want to bend the rules to suit themselves and their children. The Celebrity Brochure says that the Solarium is "Adults only" and I select my cruise line on the information offered in brochures etc.

That does not make me a "kid-hater" as someone suggested. That just makes me want what I paid for and what I knew to be the case when I booked. Celebrity is not focused on cruises for children or families. Try Carnival or Disney which I for one, would never sail with, only because it does not suit my lifestyle.

I do not know what the current policy is, or how it is being enforced. I will say, though, that I am in favor of opening the pool for a couple hours a day to children in the circumstances where weather does not permit them to use the outdoor pools. I no longer have young children, but I certainly remember what it is like to cruise with them. Put yourself in the position of a parent with an eight year old, you are on a cruise to Alaska and the weather is 50 degrees and raining, and there is a nice pool on the ship but they can't use it. Ugh. Not a pretty sight!!

I am not going to suggest going crazy and allowing them full reign - the peace and quiet of that area is a decided selling point IMHO, but in the interest of trying to accomodate everyone that seems like a reasonable approach to me. I would definitely ensure that the rules and timeframes were strictly enforced, and would only go this route when the weather made the other pools unusable.

I fully agree that they should allow children to use indoor pool for certain times when wheather does not permit outdoor pool use.

People buy a cruise product on the basis of the amenities that are advertised. If they care about certain elements that have been advertised (such as an adults-only indoor pool), then in general, that is what they should receive when they arrive on board. Others should not buy the same product thinking they can can change the rules when they get on board.

So in general, I support the position that if the Solarium is advertised as adults-only, that is what it should be. However, if a child is almost sixteen, looks sixteen and behaves in an appropriate adult manner, I doubt that anyone would even challenge her being at the indoor pool, and personally, I would always be okay with such a person joining her mother and sister at the pool. In no way is her presence there undermining the intent of the "adults only" restrictions.

If, due to exceptional circumstances, the outdoor pools are not available, I would also support opening the Solarium on a limited basis for children accompanied by their parents. Can you imagine telling a 4-year-old that she is not allowed in ANY pool on the ship? After all, her parents bought the cruise thinking a pool would be available. It is a very sad thing to have to crush a little one's expectations.

I think we all just have to be a little generous in exceptional circumstances.

Having said that, I do NOT support opening the Solarium to children on an ongoing, everyday basis, especially when the outdoor pool is available to children. Having an adult-only pool fits with the type of cruise client that Celebrity markets to. But I think that, without too much sacrifice on anyone's part, we can be fair to those WITH children and WITHOUT children. After all, desiring a more sedate, adults-only area is not just a seniors issue.

And I'd like to think that we can discuss the options without bashing one another.

Well said on every point! Why can't we all just try to be a bit flexible when conditions/circumstances warrant? :confused:

I fully agree that they should allow children to use indoor pool for certain times when wheather does not permit outdoor pool use.

Sounds like a reasonable viewpoint. I really loved the Solarium, but there are "special needs" and policy adjustments can and should be made on a limited basis. Below are a couple pictures showing the pool options for those who have not yet been on the Solstice-class ships. Great areas!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,524 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is a generally adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Here’s a sample of the pools and the activities around this key hub area of the Solstice.:

SolsticeMainPoolGuyWatching.jpg

In the pool area, they have these water jets that put on a nice “show”, both to watch and/or for kids to play in.:

SolsticeKidsPool.jpg

Many times at the pool, the “party band” is going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area.:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

:mad: Stay home if you don't want to be around children. You "seniors" have spent too much time being mean to things and people that you dislike. It's a cruise ship, a vacation for people. Those kids paid to be there just like you did. If a child is unruly, then blame the parents, but don't punish a well mannered child just because of their age.... Unbelievable....

Why should they or anyone else have to stay home because some parents refuse to control their unruly brats? The problem isn't "well mannered" kids on ships it is parents who BELIEVE their little prince or princess can do no wrong and that everyone must think their behavior is cute. The do NOTHING to instill good manners and behavior in them and let them run amok. There is a reason there are adults only areas on ships and parents who ignore the rules and allow their kids in those areas are the ones who need to stay home. If you can't occupy your kids in the outdoor pool or kids club that does not entitle you to take over areas of the ship designated for adults.

Last: there is a reason they don't allow kids who aren't potty trained in the pools. Yet these same parents of "well mannered" kids insist their child is different and the rules don't apply to them and proceed into the pools and hot tubs. DO NOT tell me it doesn't happen. Twice on my Equinox cruise I had to get out of the hot tub when parents with a diapered baby insisted their wonderful baby was "better" than every other baby and would never have an accident in the hot tub and therefore the rules didn't apply to them.

The bottom line is the staff needs to start enforcing rules designed to provide a peaceful and HEALTHY environment because clearly the parents aren't going to.

I do not know what the current policy is, or how it is being enforced. I will say, though, that I am in favor of opening the pool for a couple hours a day to children in the circumstances where weather does not permit them to use the outdoor pools. I no longer have young children, but I certainly remember what it is like to cruise with them. Put yourself in the position of a parent with an eight year old, you are on a cruise to Alaska and the weather is 50 degrees and raining, and there is a nice pool on the ship but they can't use it. Ugh. Not a pretty sight!!

I am not going to suggest going crazy and allowing them full reign - the peace and quiet of that area is a decided selling point IMHO, but in the interest of trying to accomodate everyone that seems like a reasonable approach to me. I would definitely ensure that the rules and timeframes were strictly enforced, and would only go this route when the weather made the other pools unusable.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Adult only areas, should be exactly that. When you brought your child on that cruise, or any cruise, you should have been aware that there are times when they may not be able to use the outside pools because of weather. There are other things for them to do, and if you wanted non-stop entertainment for a child, try Disney.

The bottom line is the staff needs to start enforcing rules designed to provide a peaceful and HEALTHY environment because clearly the parents aren't going to.

Yes. enforce the rules.

When I read children were using the Solarium pool, my first thought was of the energy and their sweet hands. I hope there are restrictions regarding unattended children at the Spa Cafe and in the buffet.

And, PLEASE have staff clear those unattended space holders left by the "hogs".

Maris

Archived