Visas for Turkey

piscean

I'm bumping this old thread as it's now 2016!

My on line uk TA says a visa is needed for visiting turkey, but the gov website says if you are a cruise passenger it's not! So which is it?

I always like to dot my i's and cross my t's and as my cruise starts/ finishes in Rome and I'm terrified of turning up at my Rome cruise terminal and being told I can't board as I don't have the right visa for the Turkey stops on the cruise!

The rules haven't changed. You do not need a visa for Turkey if you are visiting as a cruise ship passenger and are not flying into or out of Turkey (in other words, you cruise doesn't start or end there). If you are only visiting a port for a day -- or even if you are overnighting in a Turkish port but staying aboard your ship -- you do not need a visa.

I'm bumping this old thread as it's now 2016!

My on line uk TA says a visa is needed for visiting turkey, but the gov website says if you are a cruise passenger it's not! So which is it?

I always like to dot my i's and cross my t's and as my cruise starts/ finishes in Rome and I'm terrified of turning up at my Rome cruise terminal and being told I can't board as I don't have the right visa for the Turkey stops on the cruise!

As Cruisemom's advice,

Start & finish in Rome means you'll be arriving & departing Turkish ports on the ship, so the dispensation to cruise passengers applies & you don't need a Turkish visa. :).

Those who arrive or depart Turkey by air (eg cruise starts or finishes in Istanbul) must obtain a visa - including those on Thomson fly-cruise packages, who used to be treated as being in-transit.

That's 100%

JB :)

That clarifies things.

I think the TA's listing for the cruise says visas are needed as I think the original cruise started /stopped in Instanbul, but it has since had an itinerary change.

That clarifies things.

I think the TA's listing for the cruise says visas are needed as I think the original cruise started /stopped in Instanbul, but it has since had an itinerary change.

Yep, that figures :)

JB :)

You can now purchase your visa online before you travel. Cost is $20, only $ accepted at the moment.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

We did this last year before arriving in istanbul, pay online $20 save and print,

Make sure you use the genuine site that charges 20 and not an agent.

Just handed the print out to customs along with passport and entered straight away