MSC or Royal Caribbean with teenagers

essexstardust

Hello everybody, we have never been on a cruise before but are planning on booking for July this year. We have two teenage daughters and have been looking at MSC cruises and Royal Carribean, and although the MSC ones are much more reasonable price wise I wonder if the RCL is better for the kids, i.e more english speaking children, more to do onboard etc Would appreciate any opinions on differences between the two!:D

We have never cruised on RCCL, mainly it doesn't seem to fit our age bracket(late 70's). They seem to have many activities for the younger crowd. We did go on MSC in Feb. of 2010. The passengers were probably 80% European and english was not the primary language. The CD spoke 5 languages and used them all. They frequently run a promotion that lets kids sail free and understand from friends who were on one of those cruises that it was chaotic . Would suggest that you go to the MSC board on this website and read some of the passenger comments. However we enjoyed our cruise , beautiful ship, great price, upgraded from inside to balcony, Italian food ( not Olive Garden ) , and good entertainment. Bill

Thanks Bill, thats very helpful and gives me some insight as to what i could expect on MSC cruises, its very tempting to go with them as the price is considerably cheaper in the school hols, and we could get a balcony for the price of an inside cabin on RCL, but I do think our girls would prefer a cruise with lots going on, kids there own age etc. Thanks again, so many decisions :confused:

Hello everybody, we have never been on a cruise before but are planning on booking for July this year. We have two teenage daughters and have been looking at MSC cruises and Royal Carribean, and although the MSC ones are much more reasonable price wise I wonder if the RCL is better for the kids, i.e more english speaking children, more to do onboard etc Would appreciate any opinions on differences between the two!:D

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

MSC & RCI.

Chalk & cheese.

You don't say where you're from (is there a hint of Brit in your screen-name?).

Or where you're planning to cruise - that will affect the passenger-mix.

MSC have beautiful ships, the most modern & perhaps the most stylish in the business. And good ticket prices, esp with kids, though that's diluted a little by heavy on-board prices, tips, tea/coffee & other chargeables that are free on other ships.

The bowler makes some very valid points. They're very relaxed about regulations such as smoking, letting kids run free, and queuing.

I don't think there's an Italian word for "queuing" :rolleyes:.

Multi-lingual announcements, english comes way down the list & frequently drowned out by boistrous Italians. Don't get me wrong, lovely friendly folk - they'll smile warmly as they barge past you :D

Super shows, very visual, true "variety"

English-speaking tours, and sometimes on-board activities, are quite often cancelled due to insufficient numbers..

Food is very Italian, emphasis on pasta.

Which surprises & disappoints some folk :rolleyes:

As the bowler says, study carefully before choosing MSC. Fine if you go-with-the-flow, but Brits & Americans who choose MSC without being prepared for it are quite scathing.

Dilute the above comments if you're looking at the Baltic or Caribbean, where some concessions are made to UK/US tastes.

RCI would be much simpler for a first cruise, though if you're a Brit a cruise-line geared to Brits, such as P&O, would be even easier. Much better on-board value, sterling as on-board currency (no losing out on currency exchange) & mainly Brit fellow-passengers

So, back to the top line - where are you from & where are you planning to cruise?

JB :)

I have never been on MSC (although would not discount for the future) but can speak to RCCL for teens.

You don't mention which ship and each class varies considerably in their extra amenities. We were on Navigator (Voyager class) this past summer. In my group there were 3 teens, 14, 18 & 19. Each one had very different interests and each one found something to keep them busy. The 14 yoa really enjoyed the sports tournaments and even won a medal with the basketball. She could have done the kids program but decided not to. The 18 yoa liked the table tennis and golf. The 19 yoa loved the climbing wall and the hot tub. All made friends. All liked the shows, especially the ice show. They all loved the ship and my immediate family is booked on the Mariner this coming summer because I know my now 20 yoa will find lots to do.

My guess would be Royal Caribbean would be better for english speaking teens.

We're taking the kids on a Caribbean cruise next year (they'll be 15 & 13) and they certainly requested to be on either the Oasis or the Allure. :D We picked the Allure. They love cruises and I have no doubt that there will be something for everyone on that ship.

Wow :Dthanks everyone for your helpful replies. Yes you are right JB, well spotted I am from the UK, an essex girl through and through (not sure if its something I should be proud of!!:confused:)

By the sound of it I will be better off on RCL from a majority of your comments, I really don't like people who don't queue its why I only went to Disneyland paris ONCE! so that has put me off the MSC quite a bit.

So have narrowed it down to Adventure of the seas (from spain or france) grandeur of the seas (spain-which is also offering the all-inclusive drinks package) or Liberty of the seas (spain).

I would appreciate your thoughts on these options??

The Grandeur is working out much cheaper than the rest, is there a reason for this that I don't know about?

Wow :Dthanks everyone for your helpful replies. Yes you are right JB, well spotted I am from the UK, an essex girl through and through (not sure if its something I should be proud of!!:confused:)

By the sound of it I will be better off on RCL from a majority of your comments, I really don't like people who don't queue its why I only went to Disneyland paris ONCE! so that has put me off the MSC quite a bit.

So have narrowed it down to Adventure of the seas (from spain or france) grandeur of the seas (spain-which is also offering the all-inclusive drinks package) or Liberty of the seas (spain).

I would appreciate your thoughts on these options??

The Grandeur is working out much cheaper than the rest, is there a reason for this that I don't know about?

Yep, I think most would reckon RCI is the better bet for a first cruise, esp with kids.

Grandeur is the smallest, oldest & prettiest. Looks like a proper cruise-ship - 1996, 2000 passengers

Adventure is mid-size - 2001, 3000 pax

Liberty is a leviathon, a floating apartment block with the Starship Enterprise on its roof - 2007, 3600 pax.

Never been on any of 'em :rolleyes:

Smaller ships (though Grandeur is no midget) tend to be more homely & friendly, my preference.

Liberty (same class as Independence, which sails out of Southampton) has a big wow-factor & lots of toys - water park, ice rink, etc so its the one the kids would choose. But it does have adult-only areas, so you can escape.;)

But the Med is all about destinations, so mebbe choose the itinerary that best suits - checking out times in port, esp any half-days. Also bear in mind the number of sea days - a fancy ship is of no value when you're ashore.

Drinks on RCI are expensive, eg cheapest house wine $30 the bottle incl service charge and it's not listed everywhere, you have to hunt it down.

And VAT at ?8%? on purchases such as drinks for cruises which depart Spain & visit only EU countries, one reason why many cruises call at Gib or Tunisia. Quite why Spain is out-of-step with other EU countries is a mystery.

Something to bear in mind re Grandeur's drinks package - though is it not available on the others?

A few little by-the-bys:

Ships' excursions (all cruise lines) are poor value. Research your ports, esp public transport, hop-on buses etc, or check out private or shared tours.

On-board account You register a credit card at the start, charge all on-board purchases (USD) to your on-board account, & your credit card is charged one lump-sum at the end. You will be offered the option of RCI converting your bill & charging your credit card in sterling. Decline that offer, allow your card to be charged in USD & your credit card company will convert at a much better exchange rate. Ditto euros for ashore - buy all or some before you go at the best rate you can find in the UK, or use ATMs ashore, not those on the ship.

If you plan to use cash or a debit card, post here & we can tell you of some pitfalls.

Flight-inclusive deals. RCI are probably the worst offenders, though others do the same. They use their preferred carrier. If their preferred carrier doesn't have a direct flight, they will send you halfway round europe (eg via Amsterdam) rather than offer another carrier's direct flight. In any case booking your own flights is nearly always significantly cheaper, although you risk grief & expense if your flight is cancelled/delayed so in this case its worth flying out a day earlier & enjoying the departure city.

Info on this website. Cruise Critic has stax of info once you've figured how to navigate, its well worth the effort.

At the bottom of this page, click on the arrow at "forum jump".

Scroll to Ports-of-Call & select one of your ports for lots of tips & to post port-specific questions.

Scroll to Roll-Calls, select your cruise line, select your ship, look for a thread re your cruise. Browse & introduce yourselves. Again, more hints, options to share tours, car/minibus hire etc. From the RCI page, sign up for their meet-and-mingle - an informal get-together, free drinks & nibbles.

That should keep you busy for a week or two :p

JB :)

Fantastic advice thanks JB, I will keep a note of your by the by's, just need to get it booked it now, I think we may go for the Grandeur as it is lots cheaper but still seems to have enough to do, plus it stops in naples and i know DH is keen to go to Pompei. Thanks again, really helpful :)

Archived