First Timer on POA with lots of ???? and time to ask them

ilsteelergrl

I have cruised before 1 time on Disney Wonder back in 2003 with my Mom and kids. This time its going to be just Mom and I. Taking her on a Mothers Day Cruise May 11th thru 18th 2013 This will be our first time too Hawaii and on POA. So that being said I have been reading the boards for about 2 months and I haven't found these ?'s

Are the Blow Dryers in the rooms adequate enough to blow dry natural curly hair?

What kind of coffee is served on board?

What Soda Products are on board?

Do they have Splenda or Equal for artificial Sweetner?

Will they have a special dinner for Mothers Day?

Is there a list of what nights are the specials in the Different dining Rooms, I know I have read Lobster in Skyline, Prime Rib at the Buffet etc.

And last but not least, We are not over the top hikers but not ones too sit on the bench and watch. What would be some great excursions and how far in advance do you have too book your shore excursions weather thru the ship or on your own?

Thanks in advance These Boards are amazing

My DW and I will be cruising on the POA next January and have some of the same questions.

However, as far as excursions are concerned, start looking at what you would like to do now. If you are going through Norwegian, look at those with an activity level 1. Those are the least stressful and don't require a lot of physical activity. Then, once you pay for your cruise, book them as soon as possible because they sell out quickly. All excursions can be found on their website and provide a good commentary on what to expect.

Happy Cruising and Happy Mother's Day to your Mom.

The hair dryers on the POA last month were good - not small travel size dryers. Ours sparked and died one night and was replaced right away with a new one which worked great.

I'm not a soda or coffee drinker so I can't help you there, but I think NCL uses Pepsi products. You can buy your soda of choice in port and stock your mini fridge.

FYI - the iced tea on the ship was terrible. I made my own using hot black tea and ice. I use sweetener in my ice tea and use Equal and Splenda interchangeably. I am pretty sure the POA buffet had Equal and may have had Splenda too.

The specials in the main dining rooms will probably change by May 2013 so your best bet is to ask this question again when you are closer to your cruise date. And I would imagine someone will answer about the Mother's Day dinner options after this May's cruise

Have a great trip! Aloha

I don't have naturally curly hair but I do have very thick, somewhat wavy hair. The dryer was powerful enough to blow it out and have it look good.

NCL serves Pepsi products, so if you prefer Coke, you'll have to bring your own (yes, you are allowed to do this :)).

As for excursions, if you are booking through NCL, be aware that you will be charged for them at the time of booking not once you take the excursion. I tend to book as soon as I decide what I want since I'm always afraid of missing out. In general, though, I'd recommend just renting a car in the ports and sightseeing on your own. All of the islands are really easy to navigate and the main attractions are not hard to find. I'd highly recommend making the drive up Haleakala on Maui, it is breathtaking. Also the Waimea Canyon on Kauai and Volcanoes National Park in Hilo. If you do decide to rent a car, best to do that as soon as you know you want one. They can and do run out of cars, so don't leave that to the last minute. Check out the ports of call board for Hawaii to get more ideas about excursions and reputable companies to book through if you decide to go that way.

Enjoy :D

I have cruised before 1 time on Disney Wonder back in 2003 with my Mom and kids. This time its going to be just Mom and I. Taking her on a Mothers Day Cruise May 11th thru 18th 2013 This will be our first time too Hawaii and on POA. So that being said I have been reading the boards for about 2 months and I haven't found these ?'s

Are the Blow Dryers in the rooms adequate enough to blow dry natural curly hair?

What kind of coffee is served on board?

What Soda Products are on board?

Do they have Splenda or Equal for artificial Sweetner?

Will they have a special dinner for Mothers Day?

Is there a list of what nights are the specials in the Different dining Rooms, I know I have read Lobster in Skyline, Prime Rib at the Buffet etc.

And last but not least, We are not over the top hikers but not ones too sit on the bench and watch. What would be some great excursions and how far in advance do you have too book your shore excursions weather thru the ship or on your own?

Thanks in advance These Boards are amazing

Can't help with the coffee question. I believe you will have a coffee maker also in your cabin.

Only Pepsi products are available onboard.

Yes, there are various artificial sweeteners available. I am from the South and while the iced tea is not perfect, it is completely drinkable.

Check out the Hawaii Ports of Call board for excursion ideas as well as your roll call.

Thank you everyone, I know I have a long time but I figured I would start now researching. I will not bring the blow dryer they always take up too much space. Mom will be happy she is a Diet Pepsi girl. I may just bring a baggie full of Splenda (just in case) I am allergic too Aspartame so don't want too chance it.

I will wait for reviews of the May 2012 Cruise Reviews for the Mothers Day Events, I didn't think of that.

I have read a few reviews about people bringing Garmins for directions on the Islands and Renting a Car seems the way too go. Take your time etc.

Again Thank You, I hope this year and 4 months goes quickly:cool:

Hawaiiian Paradise Coffee

Splenda and Equal

Hair Dryer adequate

Pepsi products...Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist....

Definately go to Hawaii boards for info. That is where we got our tips for last months cruise

Thank you everyone, I know I have a long time but I figured I would start now researching. I will not bring the blow dryer they always take up too much space. Mom will be happy she is a Diet Pepsi girl. I may just bring a baggie full of Splenda (just in case) I am allergic too Aspartame so don't want too chance it.

I will wait for reviews of the May 2012 Cruise Reviews for the Mothers Day Events, I didn't think of that.

I have read a few reviews about people bringing Garmins for directions on the Islands and Renting a Car seems the way too go. Take your time etc.

Again Thank You, I hope this year and 4 months goes quickly:cool:

Here is a link for a very comprehensive review :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1534322

Have a great time. :)

Archived