Monteverde tour or Manuel Antonio NP

stefmo

Arriving in Puntarenas with Queen Victoria on March 6.

Cannot choose between

Monteverde Cloud Forest or Manuel Antonio National Park tour

with Odyssey tours.

Most beautiful scenery ? etc..

Can you see Arenal Volcano from Monteverde ?

No, you really cannot see Arenal from Monteverde even though they are only about 12 miles apart as the crow flies. The odds of both locations being clear are very slim. Heck, even being at the base of Arenal you can only see the top about 1/4 of the time depending on the season. But don't feel bad Arenal is rather quiet now.

Choosing between Monteverde or Manuel Antonio depends on what you want to see. They are both very beautiful places but quite different. Manuel Antonio is right on the coast so you will see some beautiful beaches and lowland rainforest but it will be hot and steamy. Monteverde is a cloud forest so it is usually cool and misty/rainy with a very different forest and many different animals.

If you go to Manuel Antonio dress to possibly get wet & sweat and bring a bathing suit if you want to go in swimming. If you go to Monteverde definitely bring rain gear and a warmth layer.

Is there anything in particular you want to see or do?

If you are the average cruise tourist just wanting something pretty than I'd pick Manuel Antonio. It's an easy introduction to the jungle with very wide paths (roads actually for half of it) proper restrooms and is more of what people usually think CR should look like. You will have a good chance to see up to three different types of monkeys, two types of sloth, and lots of birds, iguanas, caimen/crocodile...

No, you really cannot see Arenal from Monteverde even though they are only about 12 miles apart as the crow flies. The odds of both locations being clear are very slim. Heck, even being at the base of Arenal you can only see the top about 1/4 of the time depending on the season. But don't feel bad Arenal is rather quiet now.

Choosing between Monteverde or Manuel Antonio depends on what you want to see. They are both very beautiful places but quite different. Manuel Antonio is right on the coast so you will see some beautiful beaches and lowland rainforest but it will be hot and steamy. Monteverde is a cloud forest so it is usually cool and misty/rainy with a very different forest and many different animals.

If you go to Manuel Antonio dress to possibly get wet & sweat and bring a bathing suit if you want to go in swimming. If you go to Monteverde definitely bring rain gear and a warmth layer.

Is there anything in particular you want to see or do?

If you are the average cruise tourist just wanting something pretty than I'd pick Manuel Antonio. It's an easy introduction to the jungle with very wide paths (roads actually for half of it) proper restrooms and is more of what people usually think CR should look like. You will have a good chance to see up to three different types of monkeys, two types of sloth, and lots of birds, iguanas, caimen/crocodile...

I just posted a thread on Costa Rica: Puntarenas / need advice

I am looking at 3 tours:

Odyssey tours (independent)

MonteVerde Train Tour

MonteVerde Skywalk

Please look at my questions and feel free to offer your advice and suggestions. I am interested in seeing mammals and fear that none of these will provide me with that opportunity. So the next best thing is to see which one has a better chance.

I would love to visit the Sloth sanctuary near MonteVerde but I don't think there are ay tours that go directly there.

You seem to have some good suggestions. Looking forward to reading what you have to say on my thread.

Thank you, Renee

If you absolutely want to see sloths I would pick Monteverde. They will not be totally wild and free but you will be guaranteed of seeing them and will get as close as possible but I am in no way a fan of the animal attractions. So, if you have to see them or your vacation will be ruined I would pick Monteverde with the sloth park, otherwise I'd go to Manuel Antonio. I truly love Monteverde and it's the closest of the cruise ship destinations to where I spend a lot of time but it's not the best place when you only have a couple hours. It's a bit far from Puntarenas but you will see a cross section of Costa Rica if you stay awake on the buss ride. It will take you up to the highlands which is my territory and I love it. You can keep the hot and steamy lowlands.

I am amazed with Manuel Antonio and your ability to see a wide variety of wildlife. On one side it's bad that it's so heavily traveled but it also means that the animals are accustomed to humans and can quite reliably be seen without being fenced and sloths & monkeys are pretty reliably seen. You will need binoculars or a spotting scope to see them well but at least they will be in their natural habitat. Even though you will be with a tour group you have a very good chance of seeing a lot of wildlife that is not caged. Much will depend on your guide but if you pay attention and look carefully around I think you will be amazed with the wildlife in the trees.

3ToeSloth3.jpg

I was staying right next to Manuel Antonio and one night snuck a bit offto take a pee and literally a few feet away was a sloth that had come down to the ground for it's once a week poop. And, it had a baby. I quickly ran back and got the camera.

NightSloth3.jpg

NightSloth4.jpg

Absolutely beautiful pictures. Yes, Manuel Antonio park was definitely on my list. Unfortunately, they are closed on Monday (when the ship arrives). I was going to Monteverde but the only option was the travel train. It didn't seem as though it offered enough opportunities to see wildlife.

And no, my vacation wouldn't be ruined if I didn't see any animals. Just a bonus.

Thanks for your help.

Renee

It's a fair ride up to Monteverde. Keep your eyes on the trees as you drive up. Howler monkeys are pretty common especially when you get onto secondary roads. If you don't see them I hope you get to hear them. It's something you have to have on your bucket list.

When you go to Monteverde don't forget to pack a warmth layer and a raincoat, regardless of how hot and steamy it is down in Puntarenas.

We spent a couple weeks near Manuel Antonio and Quepos. It's my favorite part of Costa Rica. But for a tour, I would do the cloud forest. It really is a magical place and very unique.

We stayed at the observation hut up there for a couple nights, very basic, but getting up before the sun and walking through the jungle seeing the glowing worms, hearing the first howlers of the morning...priceless.

There is a great ziplien close by as well, if you're interested. Don't miss Monteverde.

Archived