I will never cruise with Carnival again, and here's why...

kingpinJK

Maybe it's because you haven't read the whole thing (not that I blame you!) But the point is the OP likes cruising and has enjoyed his previous cruises prior to this...including his previous CCL cruises.

This particular one was disappointing.

So no, the suggestion for him to stop cruising wasn't exactly a well thought out one.

He cruised CCL befoe and what he experienced this time was NOT what he was used to experiencing on his CCL cruises. His expectations were not met.

I don't understand why this isn't registering for some....

he's got 2 choices.

1) in the future, lower his expectations

2) just sail another line.

It seems that for now, he's chosen option #2...not such a big deal and I don't know why it pisses people off.

Because this board if full of Carnival Fanbois who can't help but put in their 2 cents when they see something that goes against their limited grain of thinking.

I just thought i'd comment on this... In the past, my wife and I have "given up" on entire chains of restaurants which we no longer patronize because of bad experiences. We won't even shop at wal*mart due to a VERY bad experience at one of their stores.

I feel that companies have to give me a certain level of service for my money, especially if they've built up an expectation from me for having excellent service in the past.

CCL had previously earned my future business(did any of you actually read that i bought a FCC onboard my last cruise?), but as of this last sailing, I don't feel they're deserving of my money any longer.

It seems like you might have a quick switch when it comes to service companies. I usually save the "I done with you" for extreme cases of disrespect or when I really feel that I was ripped off. You need to realize that nobody is perfect all the time. If the effort is there, I usually give the benefit of the doubt for awhile. However, if the same thing happens over and over and over, then I will give up on them. I don't think you have given CCL enough chance to prove its worth. Maybe use your FCC on a newer CCL ship and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you have another disappointing cruise in the Caribbean, and that ain't too bad.;)

Again I was on this cruise as the roll call would show as for the meet and greet I didn't remember you(kingpin) being there. I guess I'm glad you were not there cause I would NOT have liked the rest of my day after you only experienced just one night. My family and I had a GREAT cruise, service and everything else, but as this tread shows "people will B|T€# about anything on carnival". Again I truly hate that your cruise differed that much from mine. Post like this is the reasons CCL are not going to allow M&G's on their ships. Just saying!

Again thanks for your opinion, but mine is totally diffent about this cruise. Maybe better luck next time. Lol

In the past, my wife and I have "given up" on entire chains of restaurants which we no longer patronize because of bad experiences. We won't even shop at wal*mart due to a VERY bad experience at one of their stores.

Your world is getting smaller. You might find that people make mistakes. It does not have to mean you give up on everyone who works there.

I agree, however I think we are seeing a reoccurring issue.

People take the first cruise and everything is fine. It is all new and wonderful. However going back to the same ship and hoping it will still be all New and exciting might not work for everyone.

From the OP:

and:

I see this sort of thing all the time here. I think it is something that some people experience. I suspect if some people went to Disneyland one year, and then again the next year, the second trip would be disappointing.

Again, form the OP:

Maybe if people go to the same restaurant, 7 days in a row. Then stay away for a year, when they go back it probably will seem..... familiar, less than as exciting as the first time.

I call it "Familiar Feature Fatigue". For some, they can adapt. In fact for some "Familiar" is an asset. I, for one LIKE not to be surprised.

However for many it seems, they want to be Shocked and Awed.

I agree wholeheartedly (and not just because you are a fellow Winnipegger! :D) I think alot of people just remember it being better than it actually was because it was "new". I know I've eaten a mean for example when I was starving and thought it was the best thing I had ever eaten in my life! Then I had it again at a later point and thought it wasn't as great as I remembered.

It seems like you might have a quick switch when it comes to service companies. I usually save the "I done with you" for extreme cases of disrespect or when I really feel that I was ripped off. You need to realize that nobody is perfect all the time. If the effort is there, I usually give the benefit of the doubt for awhile. However, if the same thing happens over and over and over, then I will give up on them. I don't think you have given CCL enough chance to prove its worth. Maybe use your FCC on a newer CCL ship and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you have another disappointing cruise in the Caribbean, and that ain't too bad.;)

4 cruises isn't enough chances? and we used our FCC on the cruise i'm reviewing. you couldn't get me to buy another with a gun to my head.

Hope your friend gets well soon and carrey on as you were..LOL...and thanks for not taking it all too personally..pros and cons..your opinion and decisions appreciated as much as anyone else's..there have been some good reviews lately too but so sad food going downhill for many and some hosekeeping things..yikes, hope this keeps Carnival aware and able to bring it back to par for many past travellers....sounds like about my last cruise time..09...Sarah

I mean to be saying, getting back to as good as it was on the Paradise in 2009...Sarah

This was in reference to being bored. I think it was a typo. You said "once we were bored our room was ready" I think you meant on board. Later you did say there was little to do on the ship so you watched TV.

Did you get a response from Carnival?

I thought he was bored waiting around for the room to be ready.:confused:

Bill

Again I was on this cruise as the roll call would show as for the meet and greet I didn't remember you(kingpin) being there. I guess I'm glad you were not there cause I would NOT have liked the rest of my day after you only experienced just one night. My family and I had a GREAT cruise, service and everything else, but as this tread shows "people will B|T€# about anything on carnival". Again I truly hate that your cruise differed that much from mine. Post like this is the reasons CCL are not going to allow M&G's on their ships. Just saying!

Again thanks for your opinion, but mine is totally diffent about this cruise. Maybe better luck next time. Lol

LSU I agree...I know a few other families that took this cruise and couldn't say enough good things about it. From the check in in to the service and food, they gave everything a thumbs up!

Service in the MDR on our last cruise was also noticeably MUCH slower than in previous cruises. We ended up only going to MDR 3 times and the rest of the time we went to Lido Buffet or just snacked.

Can't agree more about the "pink" color themes in the rooms. Glad to see the newest ships have adopted more nuetral earth tones. Would love to see the salmon pink disappear at dry-docks!:D

Looking forward to rest of your review!

so was our (12/18/2011 Legend) One night we got Desert at 7:47 pm - on a

6 pm Dinner.

Because this board if full of Carnival Fanbois

who can't help but put in their 2 cents when they see something that goes against their limited grain of thinking.

I'm a Carnival Fanboi because in 6 cruises on their ships

as well as 3 other cruises on other cruise lines that Carnival Corp. owns

I'm yet to experience one of these nit-picking disaster cruises I try not to read about, on cruisecritic!

How do people consistently book awful cruises? URL please?

I want hair on my sheets: I want a busted TV. I want lousy food in the DRs

but all I keep getting is great cruises! What am I doing wrong??

I'm yet to experience one of these nit-picking disaster cruises I try not to read about, on cruisecritic!

I must be doing something wrong too. Guess I'll have to keep cruising till I get there ;)

I think what the OP says is fair. His experience was not what he was willing to pay for, so he won't do it again. He's not saying we shouldn't.

I had the same experience with NCL. There were many things about that cruise we enjoyed, but to me it wasn't worth the $$ (one thing that was was the sushi bar: highly recommend it). So, we rotated to RCI, and now back to Carnival. Not saying don't cruise Norwegian, just saying we are unlikely to.

I have some sympathy for those who are posting in defence of the OP's right to post his review and comments. That said, while there are a lot of Carnival cheerleaders who will jump on any criticism, I didn't really see that here. I am far from a CCL cheerleader and my previous posts will back that up. I think the issue some of us had were that the OP posted the review here (rather than, or perhaps in addition to in the review section), which means he was looking for feedback. He also gave it a very provocative title. In addition, the deficiencies he identified didn't seem to back up the conclusion he reached -- at least not from my perspective.

I am a fan of CruiseCritic because it is CruiseCRITIC. The point is to criticize, or at least critique. But if someone posts a "conclusion" that seems unreasonable in the context of the "evidence", then I will enthusiastically point that out. That doesn't mean I don't think the OP believes it.

I'm only on page 2, but have to agree with the sucky table and sucky service on Your Time Dining. Ours WAS, in fact, right by the kitchen entrance to the dining room and we got up 6/7 nights without even being offered coffee OR dessert after 2 hours because the kids wanted to get to camp. It was beyond ridiculous.

We're just planning on hitting the MDR maybe once or twice as a result of that and the menu having the same choices almost exactly since we started cruising in 2007.

4 cruises isn't enough chances?

Wait, wait, wait.... now you're saying you've had FOUR bad cruises? Well, no wonder you're done with Carnival!

CCL had previously earned my future business(did any of you actually read that i bought a FCC onboard my last cruise?)

Oh ok, the first three were good after all...

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't live in a black and white world soooo I'll skip your review because most of it seems minor and more irritating than anything. But I do hope you narrow your complaint because no one at a corporate office will make it through anything this long.

Seems you hate alot of things. Sorry the salsa ruined your cruise.:rolleyes:

Other than the bed seems so minor as to be silly complaints. How is it possible to get bored on a cruise ship? Never happened to me. Use some salt and pepper on your steak.

Oh for crying out loud! I bet the fat girl wearing a bikini ruined the Lido deck for you too ... .

T Advisor King:

I can only quote so many posts at a time, but I found these all on page one in the first 25 posts.

Do you think your statement:

"That said, while there are a lot of Carnival cheerleaders who will jump on any criticism, I didn't really see that here."

still holds true?

just pointing out his overall track record with Carnival has been positive, so one bad cruise (when bad is even subject to word choice) should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

His money. His decision where to spend it.

Your decision on taking his review with a grain of salt is your own as well.

Giving up an entire brand for one bad experience, though having had several successes in the past, is akin to eating at a chain restaurant many times, then deciding to boycott every location of that restaurant after one bad dining experience. Even though the different chain locations are run by different managers, may be held to different standards, bring their ingredients and waitstaff in from different regions, etc.

I had to chuckle when I read this. Last summer my DW and I stopped at a local Damon's while out shopping. We sat in the cigar bar so she could have a cigarette before and after dinner and there was only one other couple in the bar with us. (We normally will sit at the bar and eat anyway). The bartender took our orders and disappeared. The other couple sat there waiting for drink refills for a good 10 minutes until a waitress brought our salads, at which time she got the gentleman another beer. The waitress left without giving us silverware, salt & pepper, or our salad dressings. After another 5 minutes a second bartender came in to check on us apologizing because the main bar was very busy - at which time I asked why we weren't important as customers and told him we needed place settings to eat.

The other couple demanded their bill as they couldn't get service and left. When our entrees came, it was a 3rd bartender that brought them. Of course the side my DW ordered did not come out but the guy disappeared too fast for her to say anything. After we finished and still no bartender in sight (I briefly just thought about walking out but 2 wrongs don't make a right), I ventured out into the main bar area. I was shocked to see what they thought was very busy, especially with 2 bartenders working the bar and our guy nowhere in sight. I grabbed one of them to let them know we needed our check and I couldn't find our bartender.

When he showed up with the check, he gave my DW her dinner for free since she had no side and the other issues. That night I went on their website and posted my comments about the lack of service and attentiveness to customers. The following day I received a call from the store manager apologizing and he sent us a gift card so that we would stop in again.

A few weeks later we stopped at another Damons to use the gift card. What are the chances of a repeat performance at a completely different restaurant with completely different staff? Of course it was a pretty close repeat, although we sat in the main bar and there were 1/2 dozen other customers. Again the bartender disappeared for what seemed like eons for all of us.

And no, I did not tip on either occasion - they did not deserve my money for their inattentiveness. I saved the tips for someone that deserved 25% or more - and there are waitstaff out there that go above and beyond and get tipped accordingly.

I don't know if I will venture into Damon's again after those 2 experiences. We'd eaten at both of those restaurants in the past several times with no issues, but if their service has dropped to that level, I'll find another sports bar to patronize.

Joe

T Advisor King:

I can only quote so many posts at a time, but I found these all on page one in the first 25 posts.

"That said, while there are a lot of Carnival cheerleaders who will jump on any criticism, I didn't really see that here."

still holds true?

I so agree...and he is not a Negative Nellie or Nathan in this case....he is strong about what he is mad about but not like a..whine whine whiner...different approach to me...each allowed their opinion, he is upfront about who he is and taking action he wants....Sarah

T Advisor King:

still holds true?

I don't care what cruiseline it was. If I heard someone siting the salsa served as a major issue on their cruise, I would find it rediculous. Even if it was cruiseline I didn't like.

Small things add up. None of the complaints alone sounds significant; but all together they left OP unsatisfied. Nothing weird about it.

OP owes it to no one to give Carnival another chance. He only owes it to himself to go with the cruise line to his liking and to set a reasonable expectation so he is not disappointed often.

I too have been missing the cruises with terrible service, mean employees, cold/tasteless food and filthy rooms. I guess I need to cruise more often!

) I think alot of people just remember it being better than it actually was because it was "new".

Good point. It's like when old people go on and on and on about how wonderful everything was in the old days and how everything is so horrible now. And before I'm crucified for being an Elder Abuser, I'm older than almost anyone here. :D And I think that this is one of the best times ever to be alive...... and lucky enough to cruise! :cool:

Archived