China Eastern Air?

epixx

We are considering a cruise in Asia during August 2012. This airline flies nonstop JFK to PVG for about $1000 during that time period. Is this airline safe and reasonably reliable? We would fly coach and are accustomed to long flights in tight quarters with inefficient and indifferent service, so those are not significant considerations. We would NOT fly in the day of the cruise!

PVG is Pudong airport in Shanghai. China Eastern is a member of SkyTeam, so you have at least some minimum standards there.

Likely to be serviceable in coach, though Chinese airlines tend to pack 'em in there in the back. You might want to go to Airliners.net and do a search for photos of cabin views for their aircraft.

FWIW, the China Eastern website is really useless, IMO.

We took two flights with China Eastern in August - both short haul ie within China. The planes were modern Boeings, well maintained with professional and attentive cabin crew. There was complimentary food and drink on board (not alcohol).

I wouldn't hesitate using them if the price was right.

PVG is Pudong airport in Shanghai. China Eastern is a member of SkyTeam, so you have at least some minimum standards there.

Likely to be serviceable in coach, though Chinese airlines tend to pack 'em in there in the back. You might want to go to Airliners.net and do a search for photos of cabin views for their aircraft.

FWIW, the China Eastern website is really useless, IMO.

will ask,,,when searching for flights from Orlando to Hanoi and back from Ho chi minh city,,,seem to keep getting either KoreanAir or China Air...want Business class and no idea if these are "good" did check seat guru and seats seem ok on Korean,,any ideas??? Or any alternative carriers or sites to check,,??Really appreciate some help,,as my travel agent doesn t book flights,,just thru cruise company.HELP...:confused:

will ask,,,when searching for flights from Orlando to Hanoi and back from Ho chi minh city,,,seem to keep getting either KoreanAir or China Air...want Business class and no idea if these are "good" did check seat guru and seats seem ok on Korean,,any ideas??? Or any alternative carriers or sites to check,,??
There are MANY different ways you can fly into HAN and out of SGN. I could fill a page with different possibilities. Where are you only getting these options? Have you used ITA to check?

Numerous options across the Pacific, including UA, AA and DL for USA based carriers. Foreign carriers would include All Nippon, JAL, Korean, Asiana, Thai, Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay, China Southern, China Airlines, Eva, and more. Vietnam Airlines does not fly TPAC, but has service to/from all Pacific rim hubs. It might even be possible for you to fly TATL through Europe - AF and other carriers serve HAN and SGN.

Given the distances from MCO, airline alliance for FF purposes would be a significant consideration to me. You would likely rack up around 20k FF base miles (before business class bonuses) so I would want that to be useful for future redemption and for elite qualifying purposes.

Depending on the routing, Korean has fully-horizontal flatbeds in business.

Also, be careful with the term "China Air". You want to be sure to distinguish between "China Airlines" from Taiwan and "Air China" from mainland China.

Really appreciate some help,,as my travel agent doesn t book flights,,just thru cruise company.HELP...:confused:
You don't have a travel agent.....you have a cruise booking agent. BIG difference, as you are finding out.

There are MANY different ways you can fly into HAN and out of SGN. I could fill a page with different possibilities. Where are you only getting these options? Have you used ITA to check?

Numerous options across the Pacific, including UA, AA and DL for USA based carriers. Foreign carriers would include All Nippon, JAL, Korean, Asiana, Thai, Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay, China Southern, China Airlines, Eva, and more. Vietnam Airlines does not fly TPAC, but has service to/from all Pacific rim hubs. It might even be possible for you to fly TATL through Europe - AF and other carriers serve HAN and SGN.

Given the distances from MCO, airline alliance for FF purposes would be a significant consideration to me. You would likely rack up around 20k FF base miles (before business class bonuses) so I would want that to be useful for future redemption and for elite qualifying purposes.

Depending on the routing, Korean has fully-horizontal flatbeds in business.

Also, be careful with the term "China Air". You want to be sure to distinguish between "China Airlines" from Taiwan and "Air China" from mainland China.

You don't have a travel agent.....you have a cruise booking agent. BIG difference, as you are finding out.

have looked at Kayak,Booking Buddy, not sure where else to check..You re right about not having TA,,,told me to check above and then compare with AMA options..have used internet agencies and all essentially were booking agents,,it seems.Have learned a big lesson,,get what you pay for.

Do you have a favorite site? should I try a consolidator? Sorry for so many questions,but a BIG expense.Figure about 5 or 6 thousand ea....whew.But physical probs.make Business class a necessity,not luxury. Appreciate your help...and many others in same boat do too.:)

ITA is ITA Software. Top listed result on a google search. Excellent search tool.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Play around with it for a while...use the multi-city and variable dates feature for lots of "what-if" options.

For a couple of random dates, the lowest priced business-class tickets were coming back as CO/UA to Chicago, then Asiana through Seoul and reverse.

Post back after you see some of your options.

One more thought....when you say "physical probs"....are you aware that there is a good deal of walking and stair climbing on an AMA Mekong itinerary? Note: I do not want/need details, but you should be aware before your make final commitments.

good price and times on Asiana,but used dates early since trip not under 330 days...then checked reviews and seats offered.All looks good,now not sure how I would book since multiple airlines,,would Asiana give me same price as shown on Matrix.? Is this connected with UA and AA? Do you know about this airline?

Oh,just to let you know,,only minor physical probs.with back and knee,,so aware of limitations on cruise..but thanks..:)

We flew them several times a few years ago, can't say worst than the best of US based carriers.

We didn't fall out of the sky and I can say we weren't served by the most senior attendants with senior US attitudes :D

We are considering a cruise in Asia during August 2012. This airline flies nonstop JFK to PVG for about $1000 during that time period. Is this airline safe and reasonably reliable? We would fly coach and are accustomed to long flights in tight quarters with inefficient and indifferent service, so those are not significant considerations. We would NOT fly in the day of the cruise!

Archived