Still No Wireless Internet Onboard?

SpeakerOfMind

I know that there are wireless laptops in the atrium (at least on some ships) using the SHIP'S laptops... but any wireless access on any ships using one's own wireless laptop? If not, is this a technology available on ANY line? Seems like it should be available.

Its been available on all the ships I've sailed.

Just go to the Pursers desk in the atrium and they will sell you 30 minute blocks of time for the same price as you'd pay for Internet access in the Internet Cafe.

Regal has both. Had about a dozen computers that you purchased time on. $5.25 for 30 minutes. All major ISPs represented on the desktop screen. You could also purchase a wireless network card for $54.95 plus $10.50 per 30 minutes. Looks like it doesn't pay to bring own laptop.

On the CB last week I found using my own laptop in the atrium to be much faster than using the internet cafe for the same cost. Actually it was less because I could write email offline and only connect for a couple of minutes to send and received. Also syncd my PDA through the laptop with Avantgo very quickly. I burned up about 15 minutes in the internet cafe and never did connect to a website.

There was an announcement in November that all Princess ships will have wireless access (b compatible) in their atriums as of December 2004. Cost is $10.50 for 30 minutes (or something like that) - even Platinum members have to pay for wireless.

Ships do not have laptops to use. Just the internet cafe computers

In the past - several ships did have IBM Thinkpads that you could use in the atrium on their wireless networks (in addition to the internet cafes). I used them last summer on the Dawn Princess and previously had used their laptops on ther Sun and Grand Princess. I am not sure if they are still doing this since you can now bring your own laptop.

Archived