Oriana World Cruise

Slow Foxtrot

As it is getting close for us now to join Oriana the real important questions are arising.

1. Is there an icecream parlour on board or where can you obtain it

2. I have noted on other posts on Azura about duty free liquer shop, is this now available on Oriana, great prices???

For those joining in Brisbane 21 days to go

regards

Brian

1. Don't recall an ice cream parlour.

2 Prices of Duty free spirits is VERY good - and you can take it back to your cabin for personal consumption . Prices 12 months ago were 10.50 UKP per litre of rum/gin/whisky.etc. They also had a couple of "sale" days when it went for 7.50 UKP.

Barry

February 1st saw Oriana leave from Singapore and set sail for Phu My in Viet Nam. Passengers will then have the chance to visit Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) which is about two hours drive away depending on traffic conditions.

Today in Singapore the weather has been hot and sultry and most passengers went ashore to discover the delights of this vibrant yet immaculate city. As has been fully documented, Singapore does not suffer fools gladly and is all the better for it. There are draconian penalties for dropping litter and the death penalty applies for drug pushers. Consequently there is next to no crime, the young people have a first class education and this green and pleasant city is an example not only to

the sleaze of the UK but to the rest of the world. Not surprisingly, property prices are very high.

On the previous day Oriana docked at Port Kelang which is the entry port for Kuala Lumpur. Many passengers took the opportunity to visit the famous Petronas Towers and the Kuala Lumpur Tower, two of the highest buildings in Asia.

Life on board Oriana continues at a relaxed pace and there have been very few complaints. However, one thing that has aroused much comment is the volume of the music at several venues.

Sometimes in the dance-venue, Harlequins, the dancers have found the music too loud whilst in the elegant and comfortable Crows' Nest the piano music has drowned out normal conversation. Too much volume seems to be one of the annoying hazards of the modern age and any management worth its salt should ensure it is adjusted to sensible levels. Are you listening P & O ?

Someone was asking about ice-cream on board. Yes, it's available in the Conservatory at certain times every day and it always seems to be available every evening with the desert menu. In general terms, the various menus in all the restaurants continue to offer something for everyone, all prepared to an excellent standard. Note, however, that in the Conservatory lunchtime buffets there has been a marked change to the once-traditional British food. The choice now invariably includes Indian, Greek, Italian, Thai and similar options - no doubt reflecting the change in Britain's eating habits.

Someone once asked why all the suave and elegant people featured in the P & O brochures seem to get off at the previous stop to when we all get on!! They are then replaced by the local Derby and Joan Club, the halt and the lame, and passengers who would make Billy Bunter look anorexic!

Perhaps P & O would like to elucidate and produce a more realistic brochure. Hmmmm.

The ballroom, latin & sequence dancing each night in Harlequins is something of an enigma. On formal nights it is usually busy but on other nights, as the night wear on, there is plenty of room to dance and sometimes only two or three couples on the floor. The dance music and tempos are good, the dance instructors (Roger and Ann) are first class, yet somehow the dancers have drifted away – perhaps to bed or to some of the other late-night attractions. Today, however, we have around 400 new passengers (many from Australia) who have joined the ship at Singapore. No doubt there will be many dancers amongst their number. We shall see. The bands have already rehearsed 'Waltzing Matilda'. O.M.G.

Foxy

""Someone was asking about ice-cream on board. Yes, it's available in the Conservatory at certain times every day and it always seems to be available every evening with the desert menu. In general terms, the various menus in all the restaurants continue to offer something for everyone, all prepared to an excellent standard. Note, however, that in the Conservatory lunchtime buffets there has been a marked change to the once-traditional British food. The choice now invariably includes Indian, Greek, Italian, Thai and similar options - no doubt reflecting the change in Britain's eating habits."

Hi Foxy

Have really enjoyed your posts from on board as I am sure a lot of people have and especially about the query,icecream availabilty I raised. Will look forward to sharing the experience when we join in Brisbane

regards

Brian

Oriana's circumnavigation of the world continues apace and we are now en route for Hong Kong.

Yesterday Oriana docked at Nha Trang in Vietnam. This is a very attractive and popular seaside town, having a long palm-fringed promenade and splendid sandy beaches. It's about a 20 minutes ride in the free shuttle bus and well worth the effort.

On the previous day we had visited Phu My which is the entry port for Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). On this occasion we ignored the organised tours and rented a private 5 seaterToyota people carrier. The journey took about one and three quarter hours to get there and even less to get back. However, traffic conditions were favourable and it would take longer if there was heavy congestion. Suffice it to say that a visit to Ho Chi Minh City is a real eye-opener. There are so many interesting places to visit, and the sight of thousands of motor bikes and mopeds weaving in and out of the traffic has to be seen to be believed. If you ever have the chance, don't miss it!

Oriana has now completed about thirty days of the World Cruise and all is well on board with no sign of the noro virus. Our new young Captain Robert Camby (alias John Travolta) has struck up an excellent relationship with the passengers and is often at hand on the quayside to chat with passengers. And there is no shortage of ladies queuing up to have their photo taken with him!

The other night he was one of the judges in a 'Strictly Come Dancing' competition which was based on the television series. The winning partnership was the Ship's Doctor and one of the Entertainment Staff who gave a first class performance of the Charleston. This was really excellent entertainment that was enjoyed by a packed house of dance enthusiasts. In fact there have been some top-class shows in various venues around the ship, not least the Headliner's regular variety productions in the Theatre Royal.

We shall be leaving Oriana shortly for a stay in Hong Kong but perhaps some other passenger may continue an update on this forum as Oriana winds its leisurely way around the globe. Oriana has been one of our favourite ships since we first cruised on her in 1995. There are no rock-climbing walls and no ice skating rinks but who needs them? What it does have is a very friendly atmosphere, good food, a good dance-floor, good entertainment, and the smartest and most efficient cabin staff and waiters that one could wish for. Finally it's nice to report that dress codes are almost unanimously complied with.

We have enjoyed reading them and hopefully when we join Oriana in just over 2 weeks we will be posting updates too.

We depart London Heathrow 8th February assuming no more snow! Excitement beginning to rise. In Queensland till 21st Feb- embarkation day -when we hope to meet all you other travellers.

Jean & BT

Those of you looking forward to joining Oriana for sectors of the World Cruise will not be disappointed. As for things to do in the daytime; you will be spoilt for choice. There is a cinema, lectures, gymnasium, lessons in dancing and various crafts, sunbathing and much more. My personal option would be to do as little as possible!!

Having left Oriana yesterday for another holiday in Hong Kong we watched the ship sailing majestically out of Hong Kong harbour last night against a background of a thousand lights. It was unfortunate for all the passengers who came ashore that the weather yesterday was overcast but today has been mostly bright and sunny - but nothing like the 88 degrees in Viet Nam!

It was nice to meet previous posters, Teresa and Geoffrey Sims, who joined the ship in Singapore. Not surprisingly we met in the ship's ballroom.

I am hoping that maybe Teresa will let us know how things go aboard Oriana. Teresa and her husband are excellent dancers and they are sure to keep up the good standard in the Harlequins Ballroom. Incidentally, I heard that two champion Salsa dancers were due to join the ship and will be giving demonstrations of the Salsa.

If Teresa is too busy then it's nice to hear that Leicester Lass will be posting her version of events as the cruise progresses. I'm sure that all the relevant information will whet the appetite of those lucky enough to be future passengers on this much-loved ship. 'Happy Sailing' to you all.

Foxy

An insider has told me the Jonny Baxter of Natural High will soon be interviewed on the Cruise Channel (Sky 284). As far as I'm aware the interview will be available online too for anyone that is interested. Once I know the dates it will be aired I'll post a link for anyone who is interested. In the meantime here's one of their promotional videos if anyone would like to reminisce! http://www.youtube.com/user/smworgan?feature=guide

• 2 weeks later...
Foxy,thanks very much for your reports on your trip on Oriana.We are joining her in San Francisco for the voyage back to Southampton,and after reading your posts it cant come soon enough.

Yes, we did the UK to Hong Kong section which was very enjoyable. I was hoping someone would continue the blog from Hong Kong onwards but there seems to be no volunteers as yet. Perhaps you will give your impressions from San Francisco onwards? Don't forget to see the cliff-divers in Acapulco, and enjoy the transit of the Panama Canal. And, if you dance, let us know how the dancing goes in Harlequins under the new dance teachers.

Foxy

Well, I can report that Oriana got away safely from Brisbane :) - we did the leg Brisbane to UK on her in November 2010. We met some people on her who yesterday went on her again for ANOTHER leg from Bris to UK :( ( but this time via Panama). It was VERY hot here yesterday with VERY high humidity - as we were waiting for her to depart, the ship's shuttle bus was still bringing people back to the ship - I must say that they were a rather bedraggled lot :) , the heat had got obviously to many of them. Because the ship didn't leave until after dark, we could see clearly into the Oriental and Peninsula restaurants -- everybody seemed very casual and relaxed .

We also waved off Aurora 2 days previously - had never seen her up close before. I always thought that being a 'sister" ship to Oriana that they were identical (at least from the outside) - so was surprised to see considerable differences. I think that we preferred the Oriana overall - she has the best (for us) viewing areas up front and her restaurants look much nicer

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived