What happens if if ports are cancelled, Alexandria and Port Said

BillPizzaiolo

We are booked on an Athens to Istanbul cruise on Marina in October 2012. We are wondering what the alternative would be if Egypt were still having unrest and we skipped those two ports? It would be a bummer for sure unless they have some other exciting ports to make up for it. Does anyone know what might happen?

Thanks

bill & jeannie

When Oceania cancelled those ports at the start of the Arab spring for our July 19/12 cruise they were replaced by Antalya and Alanya Turkey. Luckily we are supposedly getting them back. However Oceania didn't return our stop in Tunis, which sucks. If we don't get any North African ports, we will consider cancelling our booking as the Turkish ports didn't seem that great.

We are booked on an Athens to Istanbul cruise on Marina in October 2012. We are wondering what the alternative would be if Egypt were still having unrest and we skipped those two ports? It would be a bummer for sure unless they have some other exciting ports to make up for it. Does anyone know what might happen?

Thanks

bill & jeannie

Hi Bill & Jeannie~

As you probably know, we're sailing on virtually the same cruise as you are, but we are sailing first (end of April, on the Riviera):

Yours:map-med-MNA121022.jpgOurs:map-med-RVA120424.jpg Naturally, we are planning on the cruise "as is", but in light of the World Situation, and because we DONT want to see our cruise evolve into a Greek Islands itinerary, these are the ports that we would suggest "just in case":

europe_malta_map_location.gif We have been to Malta three times with Oceania before, but the Hypogium

http://www.google.com/search?q=malta+hypogeum&hl=en&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WT8PT8qvEMTV0QHEg7GcAw&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899 is absolutely thrilling, -possibly the best presented historical site that we have ever visited.

Gozo is less historic, but promises to be more scenic. Fairly unvisited by outsiders up until now, Gozo would be a first time port for us, despite the fact that we have circled the Med many many times. http://www.google.com/search?q=malta+hypogeum&hl=en&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WT8PT8qvEMTV0QHEg7GcAw&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899#hl=en&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=gozo&pbx=1&oq=gozo&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=143789l145852l0l147149l4l4l0l0l0l0l253l825l0.1.3l4l0&fp=1&biw=1280&bih=899&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&cad=b

tunisia-map2.gif Tunis would also be amazing, and most of us have not gotten into Tunisia because of the former situation in Libya. For those of you who haven't heard, Tunis is now jockeying to be the financial mecca of North Africa. The new infrastructure, modern but based on Carthage, is supposed to be stunning.

miga-proget.jpg

You two take care, and I hope that we can sail together again, soon!

J&S

We did the Athens to Istanbul in 2010. We did a private overnight to Cairo to see the pyramids. I do not want to go back to Cairo - it was something to see but the poverty was oppressive. We missed our scheduled 'lunch' and our guide did not want to take us any where to eat - he finally agreed on McDonalds -but did not let us order a soda - we had to have bottled water

Istanbul was fabulous - I wish we had spent more time there.

We have been on two cruises wherein one port was cancelled on each cruise due to weather. Any port taxes are refunded on your credit card along with refunds for any tours that have been booked through the ship. If you have booked tours independently, I am sure any reputable company would do the same. Hope this helps.

Tunis would also be amazing, and most of us have not gotten into Tunisia because of the former situation in Libya. For those of you who haven't heard, Tunis is now jockeying to be the financial mecca of North Africa. The new infrastructure, modern but based on Carthage, is supposed to be stunning.

miga-proget.jpg

J&S

We've been to Tunisia twice before and saw nothing like what is pictured above.

I don't believe any of us we'll ever see this - maybe our grandchildren might :D

We have been on two cruises wherein one port was cancelled on each cruise due to weather. Any port taxes are refunded on your credit card along with refunds for any tours that have been booked through the ship. If you have booked tours independently, I am sure any reputable company would do the same. Hope this helps.

Never had port charges refunded; was this on Oceania?

We missed Peurto Madryn Argentina recently on Holland America Veendam and were refunded about $17.50. We didn't know until we received our statement that this had been done. Not a large sum but it shows how above board (no pun intended) they were about it.

I believe that getting a refund is partially dependent on WHY the port was cancelled.

In many cases, particularly for a last minute cancellation, the line may have to pay the port anyway.

If they don't get it back, then WE don't get it back. ;)

Thanks

bill & jeannie

From Oceania..

We would probably add Patmos and an overnight in Ashdod to replace Alexandria and Port Said.

Jancruz1

We were on the Sept. 19 Istanbul-Athens cruise on Marina. The two ports in Egypt had been eliminated before final payment was due and many people cancelled their bookings. We booked the revised itinerary and Patmos and Volos were the substitute ports. The cruise already had two days in Ashdod.

We were on the Sept. 19 Istanbul-Athens cruise on Marina. The two ports in Egypt had been eliminated before final payment was due and many people cancelled their bookings. We booked the revised itinerary and Patmos and Volos were the substitute ports. The cruise already had two days in Ashdod.

Im not sure what your itinerary was but the person I got the above info from is the man that makes the decision of where the ship is going.

Jancruz1

Im not sure what your itinerary was but the person I got the above info from is the man that makes the decision of where the ship is going.

Jancruz1

The man who likes to think that he makes those decisions, you mean-

Look what happened when they tried to cancell Victoria in Alaska :rolleyes:

Jancruz1

Our itinerary was virtually identical to the OP's (without Egypt) but also included Crete. We had one day in Haifa and two days in Ashdod. The stops in Patmos and Volos were the last two days of the cruise. I didn't mean to imply that OP would get the same alternate ports we had but was just stating what occurred on our itinerary. I would have gladly had another day in Israel rather than Volos.

Our itinerary was virtually identical to the OP's (without Egypt) but also included Crete. We had one day in Haifa and two days in Ashdod. The stops in Patmos and Volos were the last two days of the cruise. I didn't mean to imply that OP would get the same alternate ports we had but was just stating what occurred on our itinerary. I would have gladly had another day in Israel rather than Volos.

I agree with you..an extra day in Israel would always be welcome..nothing is ever in stone as we all know..just ideas of what the changes may be!!

Jancruz1

Archived