Sea sickness

SkiptonCBR

I just read on someone's post that "Just keep in mind that the forward part of the ship gets a lot of movement while at sea. Make sure you good sailors, or take precautions." Is this true? I'm sailing on the Constellation shortly and we have cabin 8036, will we have a choppy ride or are the stabilisers good now a days. Will I need sea sick pills?

The front of the ship does experience more movement. The closer to midship and the lower the deck, the less movement. Think of a see-saw. Some people are more prone to seasickness; if you have become seasick in the past, booking near midship and on a low deck is a good idea and you may want to switch rooms. If you have not become seasick in the past, you may be OK. It is still a good idea to bring medication with you just in case; consult with your doctor or pharmacist as to what is best for you. Of course if the seas are calm it will not matter where you room is; likewise if the seas are extremely rough it will not matter - it is more for those moderate seas where stateroom location plays a significant role. Stabilizers sometimes help, but they do not stop all types of movement. Even on a very large, modern cruise ship if the seas are rough, you will feel the ship rock.

I saw some passengers on our cruise with the anti-nausea patch behind their ears ... obviously they did not want to take any chances. It is best though to bring medication with you and enough to last the cruise as a precautionary measure - even so, there is the odd time when no amount of medication other than setting foot on solid ground will help ... but that is only in instances where the ship is really rocking in rough weather.

Quick tip from a Great Lakes sailor, if you are prone to sickness try to stay away from the greasy fried food for breakfast and if your feeling queasy go on deck and stare at the horizon, never ever go lay in your bunk.

J.

A friend is very prone to motion sickness. She takes medication, but also is a great advocate of those acupuncture wrist bands. I bought some to use just in case we ever experience really severe weather, but have never tried them. The sundry area in the ship often sells them. I bought my pair at a local grocery store for under $10.00.

Stabilisers stop a ship rolling, but they can't stop it pitching. Lots of 'cures' about. Even the crew on my last cruise had a glass of ginger ale and an apple...supposed to help, can't do any harm. As jsf says, don't go away from the problem. Most people get seasick because the balance centres in the inner ear sense the movement , but the brain can't work out the cause, so you get nausea. Go to a window and look at the waves. If you can see them coming the brain can work out why you are going up and down. A lot of my mates had this problem on cross channel ferries ( I used to drive UK - Europe) and when I told them this trick, their problems went away. It even works when you are in a force 10 gale when you are stuck on the ferry for 6 hours 'cos its too dangerous to enter port! My, that was a fun crossing!!

Simon

Get a set of Sea Bands ($10 or so) at the drug store, wear on your wrist. Button works as accupressure on the nerve in your wrist. Helps a lot.

Take a Meclazine the first day and night.

And I had to take them first couple days back from a 17 night cruise--was feeling it on land.

Meclizine is given out free at guest relations. Just ask for it.

There are typically 2 tablets per packet. If you are someone who is sensitive to medications you may want to take only one, or even half of one to avoid that woozy, drugged feeling. Others can take the full dose and not be bothered at all.

Gonzo gave the best advice to consult with your doctor or pharmacist (who knows your medical history and what other medications you take and how they may interact) as to what is best for you.

Quick tip from a Great Lakes sailor, if you are prone to sickness try to stay away from the greasy fried food for breakfast and if your feeling queasy go on deck and stare at the horizon, never ever go lay in your bunk.

J.

You are correct. Probably simpler to do it from your balcony, just in case.

I'm all for natural ways -- go for the ginger. I took 2 pills in the AM and 2 pills in the PM (550mg each). I was able to function even on days where the seas were rough enough for me to feel a bit off. I never had to stay in bed as i used to without ginger.

The patch gave me lingering issues for 1 year - never again.

As for cabin placement - definitely true, you'd feel the up and down more than you would mid ship. Aft will have some issues in rough seas too. Well ALL have issues in rough seas but in moderate you're gonna have more issues to the ends.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, my wife uses the Relief Band it's an electro therapy band that looks like a watch. It helps in a similar way to the acupuncture bands in that it stimulates the nerve but also regulates the natural "rhythm" in your stomach that is the source of the nausea. It is pricey but it works well for us. Just be sure to use it per the directions. I would bet that most people that day it doesn't work are just using it wrong.

My wife gets affected by motion sickness. I brought a lot of bonine, ginger pills and a pair of wristbands for her. She ultimately took bonine and she was totally fine. Just make sure to take a bonine right before the ship sails and you should be fine.

Archived