Woman Who Lives (Lived?) on the QE2

wesp

Beatrice Muller was still on board earlier this year, according to this article from her home town:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/columnists/bob_bestler/10658332.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Her story has been reported in the UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/silly/story/0,10821,540984,00.html

And she was most recently spotted in Sydney in March:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Cruising/Grand-ladies-of-the-sea/2005/03/03/1109700605515.html?oneclick=true

In the past she's been on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1504533.stm

And CNN:

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/08/22/qe2.home/

I think she's got the right idea!

Peter

bea is from my town in new jersey. a lovely woman enjoying life after her husbands passing on board the qe2.i think it was the year 2000 that she started living aboard. my wife and i had tea with her in 2004 great conversation. her son still lives in my town middlesex, new jersey.

I am glad you had the “odd” nice conversation with her. I had the displeasure of sitting with her at dinner for one cruise and other interaction a few other times. In my opinion

her “celebrity status” has gone to her head. I also heard Bea horror stories from other passengers. I remember this past Christmas cruise the Cunard office booked, by mistake, Bea’s 4-deck cabin to a wonderful lady from England. When this passenger went to the cabin she was assigned, she knocked on the door. Bea opened the door wearing red pj’s . The lady told her the situation and Bea answered: “Well find another cabin a slammed the door.” Need I say more? Grant it, I wasn’t there to witness it, but it doesn’t surprise me. I have heard other stories but will not say anotehr word.

we never heard or saw such a side to mrs muller per haps she was having a bad day or two or three or four etc.THERE IS A PICTURE OF MRS MULLER IN THIS MONTHS EDITION OF THE WORLD CLUBS CURNADER MAGAZINE ON PAGE 10 (SPRING 2005 )WITH CAPTAIN MCNAUGHT AND HOTEL MANAGER DAVID HAMILTON. SHE LOOKS GREAT !!!! CLOSE TO 90 YEARS OLD I THINK. BEST REGARDS

I heard a story from a QE2 crew member recently where somehow a swarm of bees had found their way on board the ship. One crew member had emailed the ship and asked about the situation with the bees and a crew member on board replied, " Well it's better than a swarm of Bea's" !!

I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Bea on one crossing and my mother has met up with her another time. We think she is a wonderful woman who is very approachable, not at all like a celebrity, although she truly is, and loves to have you sit with her to talk. She let us "pick" her brain about how and why she lives on the ship and all sorts of other subjects. Everyone has a bad day, and another side to them, and who knows what those people said to her when they showed up at what they thought was their cabin. If she was in her PJ's she could have been napping and I know I would have had a much stronger reaction if someone came knocking on my cabin door saying it was theirs. Anyway. I don't know her that well, if at all only by speaking with her for a short time, but there is always two sides to a story and to bash her like this is terrible. I think that if anyone has the opportunity to meet Bea they are very lucky and will enjoy the experience. I would hope she has the internet and like Captain Wright reads these boards as I have heard. I'm sure sure is too classy a lady to even be bothered to reply to such criticism, but I would certainly want to know what people said behind my back.

A number of years ago there was a man that did 100s of the 4 day Nassua cruise out of Miami on the old Dolphin 4. Everyweek he got off and got back on after the Dolphin's 3 day cruise for the next's weeks 4 dayer.

they had a "Officers Uniform" he worn at times... Sounded like a character.

Yes I know this is the Cunard forum, BUT... question

If you were going on a 6 month to 1year + cruise on a ship, what ship would you pick.

For me, I think I would pick the Marco Polo. The QE II while a good ship does too many transatlantics and the MP does more world wide cruising.

LMI

Please remember everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I am happy you had "good days" with Bea. As I mentioned in my post, I was not there to witness each side of the “PJ story.” However, I did have the several interactions with her when dining and what I posted before I will stand by. I am a good friends with several of the crew and officers and have heard other stories, but will not post them because I am not a tabloid.

The QE II while a good ship does too many transatlantics and the MP does more world wide cruising.

Blackbird, the QE2 no longer does anything like enough Trans Atlantics - only 2 a year now - the rest of the year is spent on the World Cruise or sailing out of Southampton....which now may become the glamorous end of the Trans Atlantic Run!:mad:

Peter

LMI

Please remember everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I am happy you had "good days" with Bea. As I mentioned in my post, I was not there to witness each side of the “PJ story.” However, I did have the several interactions with her when dining and what I posted before I will stand by. I am a good friends with several of the crew and officers and have heard other stories, but will not post them because I am not a tabloid.

DEAR SEA SEA: BEA SPEAKS WELL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you had the “odd” nice conversation with her. I had the displeasure of sitting with her at dinner for one cruise and other interaction a few other times. In my opinion

her “celebrity status” has gone to her head. I also heard Bea horror stories from other passengers. I remember this past Christmas cruise the Cunard office booked, by mistake, Bea’s 4-deck cabin to a wonderful lady from England. When this passenger went to the cabin she was assigned, she knocked on the door. Bea opened the door wearing red pj’s . The lady told her the situation and Bea answered: “Well find another cabin a slammed the door.” Need I say more? Grant it, I wasn’t there to witness it, but it doesn’t surprise me. I have heard other stories but will not say anotehr word.

Relax. First, she is a bit of a celebrity-how many people can say they live on the last real ocean liner afloat- and second, you didn't tell us what about your encounters with her soured you so. Bea LIVES on the ship. If someone showed up at your door with a suitcase and the specific intent to move in you'd be peeved too. Give her a break. If I'm still drawing breath at 80 or however old Bea is, I hope I have the means, fortitude and imagination to pull off such a grand retirement.

Richard

I must say that I had heard before that Beatrice Muller wasn't the easiest of people to get along with. I think that sea-sea has as much right to express an opinion on these boards as anyone else. After all this is a discussion board and you can take it or leave it.

If Bea is a celebrity now, then what comes with that is the good stuff as well as the bad. I for one would love to meet her and form my own opinion, but that probably won't happen, so I can read all the other peoples opinions instead. She has the right idea and at nearly 90, it's obviously doing her no harm:)

Phil

Most Late Mornings About 11-11:30 We Would Meet Bea Sitting In A Reading Chair Just Out Side The Chart Room. So If You Are Ever On The Qe2 Say Hello. She Is A Lovely And Very Interesting Lady

Yes "excited.........",of course everyone has the right to their opinion and I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinion on these boards, giving mine, but to attack a person without their feedback or knowledge is uncalled for. That was an attack on someone's personality, demeanor, or whatever you want to call it, not an opinion of a "ship" which cannot speak for itself. This message board seems very professional and personal attacks of people is very rare or nonexistent, at least on the threads I have read. That was my point. Hope you get to meet her for yourself. If you don't like someone, why trash them on the internet???? Even a "celebrity" gets to read what's written about them and defend themselves if the need arises. Hopefully Bea has read all of this and just chooses not to respond.

I am sure that the lady is a reluctant celebrity, and I am sure that if I was in her position I would not be happy to have my personality traits discussed on a board like this. She is an elderly lady who lives on the ship - full stop. She is not Michael Jackson.

David.

Archived