Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

How does a modern ship with all the latest technology hit a reef?:confused:

I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture of the gash.

God Bless the people who have been accounted for and prayers for those people who have yet been found and for those who have died.

Kathy

The damage is midship. How is it that if the ship was traveling in a forward direction there is that much damage to the hull in the middle of the ship with no damage in the forward section? The stabilizer is even extended. One would think if it got that close to a reef the stabilizer would have been sheared off and there would be scrapes forward.

Can't imagine what happened out there.

Prayers are that the death toll does not increase at all.

All the reports are saying there was 3,200 people on board, which means that the ship was already full to capacity. SO how could they have been picking up more people at the next port?

I do think it is to early to make speculations, and I wonder if the media do have the true facts

Costa offer different 7 night options, the cruise is circular so in some markets you can choose which port you want to start/end your cruise. So some people will get off and some will get on.....it's just the media reporting facts in a manipulative way

All the reports are saying there was 3,200 people on board, which means that the ship was already full to capacity. SO how could they have been picking up more people at the next port?

I do think it is to early to make speculations, and I wonder if the media do have the true facts

First off, capacity is 3750 so they had room for another 500...second, the journey drops and picks up pax in Savona, it's next day port so THAT is why the drill wasn't held yet and why the numbers DO match up. Make sure YOU have the true facts as well before blaming the media.

More pictures and stories on TV. I am shocked like most people.I think Carnival corp must take their share of blame. Instead of concentrating on "nickel and diming" passengers they should have made sure their staff were trained properly and they had processes that worked !This is the worse disaster since the Titanic !

No, it isn't. It's a sad and tragic event but we should be lucky there havn't been more casualties. I still remember the big passenger ship that got wrecked between Sweden and Estonia in 1994. 850 out of 1400 people died.

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

848.50.50.50 is the Italian number that Costa has given people trying to receive info on passengers. I don't think this number works outside Italy.

I found another number for those in Germany : (+49) 040.570.12.12.12 you might want to try this one.

The damage is midship. How is it that if the ship was traveling in a forward direction there is that much damage to the hull in the middle of the ship with no damage in the forward section? The stabilizer is even extended. One would think if it got that close to a reef the stabilizer would have been sheared off and there would be scrapes forward.

Can't imagine what happened out there.

Prayers are that the death toll does not increase at all.

Was thinking the exact same thing. When it was reported as a gash you would expect exactly as you described. It looks more like something T-Boned it midships. I does not look like damage to a ship travelling in a forward direction but some other event . I am sure this will come out in time

Absolute rubbish! What about Lusitania, Wilhelm Gusloff or Cap Arcona? Or if you want to stick to peacetime disasters the MV Doña Paz - nearly three times the fatalities of Titanic!

This is a tragedy - but if the death toll stays at 3, that's less than a third of the number who died on Italy's roads yesterday.

I doubt if it will. If there was any serious gash in the hull, and there was, I don't see how casualties could be so low. There are undoubtedly missing, probably mostly crew.

If you look on the Costa website it shows Savona as the start/end port for this cruise. So as I see it this was the last night of the cruise and not the first.

Interestingly Simon Calder the Independent Travel Editor is commenting on BBC currently along these lines.

Peter

See message 287 above.

On this type of cruise it is more like a continous loop, most passenger will embark /disembark in Savona, but other passenger will join/leave the ship at Civitavecchia and Barcelona (not sure if Barcelona was a port of call on this cruise).

Ron

No, it isn't. It's a sad and tragic event but we should be lucky there havn't been more casualties. I still remember the big passenger ship that got wrecked between Sweden and Estonia in 1994. 850 out of 1400 people died.

Agreed, it is not the biggest disaster since Titanic. Overloaded ferries in third world countries, for example the Philippines, often sink; they get a story on page 32 because no Americans, Canadians, Australians, or Western Europeans were on board.

The next scheduled port of call was to be Savona, which is Costa's main base (home port), where the majority of passengers would have disembaked and new passengers embaked.

Ron

First off, capacity is 3750 so they had room for another 500...second, the journey drops and picks up pax in Savona, it's next day port so THAT is why the drill wasn't held yet and why the numbers DO match up. Make sure YOU have the true facts as well before blaming the media.

I fear you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say as to passenger capacity there varies on what you google the actual passenger capacity is 3780 according to the ships statistics, but I am sure there would be another site that will give a different figure. My point was not a stab at the media either.

I doubt if it will. If there was any serious gash in the hull, and there was, I don't see how casualties could be so low. There are undoubtedly missing, probably mostly crew.

The damage appears to be in the area of the engine room - which mercifully is mostly automated these days - but we won't know for a while I expect.

In one of the many pictures of the gash on the port side of the ship if you look to the right hand side of the gash you can clearly see a large rock embedded into the side of the ship.

The reason why the stabilisers are undamaged is more than likley due to the ship being at is widest at this point or due to the fact that the ship may have been turning to starboard at the moment of impact.

When you look at the gash picture again you can clearly see the rock has moved along the length of the gash as the indentation starts with a large unbroken gouge before the hull is beached and ends with the rock embedded in the hull.

Its my view on the observation of the photo

The next scheduled port of call was to be Savona, which is Costa's main base (home port), where the majority of passengers would have disembaked and new passengers embaked.

Ron

Thanks to smithysrat and G.M.T. for clarifying that for me, no 'real' start to the cruise although majority embark/disembark at Savone.

Sadly BBC now reporting that Italian authorities reporting 3 dead and up to 50 missing

Peter

I was on board Costa Concordia till yesterday morning when we disembarked in Civitavecchia. It is the oddest feeling to think about the ship and all the people we met on board and not knowing exactly what happened to them. I commemorated my birthday at a dinner table which is now under water. The emergency drill would have been only after Savona for those who embarked yesterday and it was fairly relaxed. Nobody collected my emergency drill card for example. It was unthinkable that something like that would have happened to a ship like that in 'home waters'.

It does seem a little odd that the ship is keeled over on its Starboard side when the hole of around 50 metres is on the Port side! it is possible that there are 2 holes below the waterline!

Reports still have those who died at 3 and 50 missing! but that is understandable until they can account for everyone who was taken off the ship.

Archived