Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

There is likely to be a lot of fall out with regards to this, especially with fatalities and the loss of a £450m vessel.

With the photo's showing such damage on the Port side of the vessel it appears that to compensate for the flooding they have attempted to compensate for it by flooding tanks on the starboard side of the ship, taking too much water on the opposite side has apparently caused it to go over to that side. I imagine that if this process was going on when the electrics stopped it could have left the valves open too.

Hopefully the death toll from this event will not continue to rise about the 6 already being reported.

I just read a pax interview on Sky: the pax reported that the safety muster drill was due to take place on Saturday: the pax and her partner had joked 'What happens if we sink tonight'.

I guess drinks and food take precedence over safety.....

I see litigation for negligence on the horizon.............

Exactly, is it all Costa' ships will conduct their muster drill on the second day of cruise?....I just can't imagine this because I sailed with other cruise line, the muster drill must be completed before sailing

As an ex-costa employee (shoreside) I am glad I am not in the office today! It is far too early to speculate what happened but we can be certain that the captain realised that he could not save the ship and she was going to sink quickly so he made the desicion to travel into shallower water at speed and thus probably prevented a much worse disaster although I fear we will see the death-toll rise considerably over the next few hours.

My thoughts are with those who have friends andf family aboard.

Roland

I'm sad to hear about this incident and my heart goes out to families of those lives lost.

Let me just say no matter how many times people go thru the muster drill, when some people panic they will do most illogical things or forget everything they're supposed to do. When i was working for a ferry (that was used as a hotel ship), my coworkers told me about safety video that featured another ferry that got burn down, and there were dead bodies hidden in bathrooms and closet and all other place you wouldn't think people would be hiding during the fire, and that's why workers are trained to check in each cabins in case of emergency. Ironically while i was working on that hotel ship, the engine caught on fire (2009 in sweden), and during the evacuation some people were trying to see the fire instead of evacuating.

Please don't consider this cold but I was supposed to be on this ship in two months! What will costa do? Is there another ship they will bring in to run this route or is my trip of a lifetime over before it starts?

Cruise lines maximise heir ships to the fullest, i.e. no idle ships lying around.

Cruising is booming, so other lines will not have ships available.

You will either be offered a refund or offered another cruise or a combination of both.

Ron

Even if they return the ship to service I highly doubt it will be with Costa, they will most likely sent it to one of their smaller brands. Then they can label it as a new ship and many people will have no idea what has happened to it.

Exactly what happened to the Costa Europa ( Thomson Dream.

Ron

This particular cruise is a weekly "round robin" with Savona being the main starting/ending port. I've done the Civitavecchia-Savona part many times and the emergency drill is always scheduled for the next day after the majority of the passengers embark for their cruise. Only a comparatively few passengers start the cruise at Civitavecchia which has a late departure time. They then continue the cruise Savona-Marseilles, Barcelona, etc. In the Concordia case most of the passengers boarded six days earlier at Savona where they had their emergency drill. The Civitavecchia passengers would have had the drill the next day before the ship sailed from Savona. This is standard procedure for this particular itinerary and in accordance with the maritime law.

I have been watching this on the BBC as has been headline news all morning here in the UK. It is so sad to hear that people have lost their lives however it is wrong for people to start pointing the finger and trying to second guess what happened. None of us were on that bridge last night. The fact that only 3 people tragically lost their lives out of the 4000 on board is a miracle....it could have been so much worse. Let's wait for the facts before condemning the Captain or any of his crew.

Cruise lines maximise heir ships to the fullest, i.e. no idle ships lying around.

Cruising is booming, so other lines will not have ships available.

You will either be offered a refund or offered another cruise or a combination of both.

Ron

Exactly what happened to the Costa Europa ( Thomson Dream.

Ron

Not true, Europa was already on her way to Thomson when the accident happened and is in fact still owned by Costa/CCL as Thomson lease their ships, they don't own them. If the leasing deal wasn't already in place I have no doubt that Europa would still be sailing under the costa name, that said this is a much worse incident and I honestly can't see concordia sailing again for anyone.

More pictures and stories on TV. I am shocked like most people.I think Carnival corp must take their share of blame. Instead of concentrating on "nickel and diming" passengers they should have made sure their staff were trained properly and they had processes that worked !This is the worse disaster since the Titanic !

I have been watching this on the BBC as has been headline news all morning here in the UK. It is so sad to hear that people have lost their lives however it is wrong for people to start pointing the finger and trying to second guess what happened. None of us were on that bridge last night. The fact that only 3 people tragically lost their lives out of the 4000 on board is a miracle....it could have been so much worse. Let's wait for the facts before condemning the Captain or any of his crew.

Here, here. The question that everyone will want answered is how did a modern ship with state of the art technology manage to hit a reef in a very well charted area?

I've done 3 Cunard cruises,and muster drill always takes place before departure....same group-why the discrepancy?

If you look on the Costa website it shows Savona as the start/end port for this cruise. So as I see it this was the last night of the cruise and not the first.

Interestingly Simon Calder the Independent Travel Editor is commenting on BBC currently along these lines.

Peter

More pictures and stories on TV. I am shocked like most people.I think Carnival corp must take their share of blame. Instead of concentrating on "nickel and diming" passengers they should have made sure their staff were trained properly and they had processes that worked !This is the worse disaster since the Titanic !

Thankfully, far fewer passengers have lost their lives though -

All the reports are saying there was 3,200 people on board, which means that the ship was already full to capacity. SO how could they have been picking up more people at the next port?

I do think it is to early to make speculations, and I wonder if the media do have the true facts

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

Oliver, I am praying that all is well with your girlfriend.

Kathy

Kudos to the crew for evacuating four-thousand people. That in itself is a remarkable feat.
My nightmare scenario come true?

-one of these large ships flopping over on its side

rendering all floors as walls, all walls as floors and ceilings. :eek:

So glad I wasn't there! Hope everyone's OK,

but there are going to be more casualties as the divers go in to search deep inside the hull.

This is the worse disaster since the Titanic !

Absolute rubbish! What about Lusitania, Wilhelm Gusloff or Cap Arcona? Or if you want to stick to peacetime disasters the MV Doña Paz - nearly three times the fatalities of Titanic!

This is a tragedy - but if the death toll stays at 3, that's less than a third of the number who died on Italy's roads yesterday.

If you look on the Costa website it shows Savona as the start/end port for this cruise. So as I see it this was the last night of the cruise and not the first.

Interestingly Simon Calder the Independent Travel Editor is commenting on BBC currently along these lines.

Peter

I used to work for Costa, the cruise is sold SVN-SVN only for the UK market but as it is seven night circular for other markets there are a choice of different embarkation ports so some people will do CIV-CIV (usually a much lower % than from Savona though). Costa do this a lot to cater for local embarkation ports for their main target market (Italy)

Archived