Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

We were on the Westerdam in December, and the muster drill was done prior to leaving Fort Lauderdale at the start of the cruise. We had to report to our muster station at our lifeboat number. They showed us how to put on life jacket and did a roll call cabin by cabin to make sure all had attended. I hope that is the way they do it on Princess when we sail with them in April.

Princess will do it prior to leaving the embarkation port.

a) You report to an inside location for the drill. The lcoation is based on where your cabin is located. Your cabin attendant will tell you where to go when he/she first greets you. The location is also posted on the inside of your cabin door.

b) You carry your live jackets with you from your cabin to the muster area. There will be plenty of crew to point you in the correct location in case you are not familiar with the ship.

c) Your cruise card will be read so that Princess knows you attended the muster.

d) Once everyone is assembled, there will be a recorded message of the information about emergency procedures.

e) The way to put on the life jacked will be demonstrated by crew in your muster area.

f) Passengers will then put on their life jackets receiving assistance from crew members if needed.

g) Once you have correctly put on your life jacket, you take it off and tie it together so that the straps will not drag and possibly trip you or someone else.

h) The muster is over, you may return your liffe jackets to your cabin and continue to enjoy your vacation.

I used to be critical of my DH when traveling until we were stuck in Hurricaine Charlie in Disney. He had flashlights, extra batteries. Well prepared.

When we cruise he takes a portable crank HAM RADIO Flashlights, first aid kit.

Over KIll ....quite the contrary...........

Just a great Husband and Father protecting his family.

Safe travels.

Good to know how to swim before you go on a cruise ship.

Has anyone noticed that the Concordia is facing the wrong direction from where she was heading?

Picture-227-635x459.png

According to Marine Traffic, the ship was heading North with her port side facing land, but the pictures are showing her facing South! :eek:

bilde?Site=B3&Date=20120114&Category=NJNEWS18&ArtNo=301140021&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Cruise-ship-runs-aground-off-Italy-3-bodies-found-69-missing

Costa-Concordia-007.jpg

How the heck does that happen???

I just got off the Concordia 12 days ago. I became friends with several crew members and I am just sick about this. I would like to see if I can find out if they are all ok.

As many have said, It's unfathomable that something like this can happen, but she is made of steel and she will sink. I will say that I felt Capitan Schettino was extremely competent. A coupe of these ports (Malta and Savona) were fairly small and I was amazed at how he manuevered this behemoth into slips. Matter of fact, he told me to pay special attention to Savona because there would be 3 Costa cruises in port that day (Serena and Deliziosa) and that the harbor master always gave him the smallest "slip" even though he had the biggest ship. I was on deck when he pulled it and I still have no idea how he did it. Couldn't believe it even though I was watching with my own eyes.

I just read a report on a Russian site where Schettino stated that he never went off course and that the rocks he hit were not marked on the navigational maps he used. I honestly don't know what to think

Wouldn't the local pilot have been doing those outstanding "parking" jobs?

I wonder... what if cruise company gave questionnaires for people to fill out after the muster drill, like personalized sheets so they can scan it and see if the answer fits the person and if they get it correct they get a voucher for free cupcake or alcohol or something else. Then at least people will pay attention or someone in the group might?

If this image is accurate, it's not hard to decipher what happened.

u1_costarotasi.jpg

More info here

I am somewhat perplexed. My understanding is that the passengers were sitting at their dinner tables at 8pm when the event started, looking along the track to that approx time puts it well offshore. Giving the time frame if the ship continued for some time whilst they assessed the damage before starting its turn towards Giglio. The time of the turn relevant is at 22:10 which is some time after the actual start time.

Hopefully we will all know the full facts in time. Praying for the missing/unaccounted.

Has anyone noticed that the Concordia is facing the wrong direction from where she was heading?

According to Marine Traffic, the ship was heading North with her port side facing land, but the pictures are showing her facing South! :eek:

Speculation is the captain tried to turn hard to port into the harbor, which caused the list to starboard when the water shifted.

5. Have an electronic copy of your passport available. I send one to myself online via email for just such instances. That way, I can access these copies if I am separated from my documents. Last time I travelled, I had an electronic copy of my passport, birth certificate, Visa, and health insurance information in electronic format available. I deleted this when I got back home, but this is quite safe if you have a strong email password.

Don't live in fear, but talk about what you would do and how you would recover from a bad situation (evacuate ship, medical emergency, theft, etc)

I am sorry to ask what is probably going to be a silly quesiton but when your refer to an electronic copy of your passport, do you mean you scan your passport pages into your computer to get the info later? We have alsways made copies of our pasport and left them at home as well as have taken a copy on board, but haven't scanned anything into our computer.

Thanks for your help.

A lot of people are comparing this to the Titanic, but it is more similar to the sinking of the Andrea Doria in 1956. Both the Doria and the Concordia were built at the Sestri Ponente yard in Genoa, and both ships listed to starboard.

In terms of being prepared for an unseen event on a cruise ship, I always keep my documents, money, etc. in a large zip lock bag so that everything is ready....just in case. I keep everything in the safe, and before going to bed, I open the safe....just in case.

The news is sad and tragic. I would like to add my condolences to all persons impacted by this. In our information age, I am hopeful that patience and restraint can be practiced until accurate, credible information becomes available. We may not know for a very long time the true cause and until then, I intend to try and withold judgement.

GREAT catch! Maybe that has something to do with why the captain has been arrested for manslaughter.

Picture-227-635x459.png

bilde?Site=B3&Date=20120114&Category=NJNEWS18&ArtNo=301140021&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Cruise-ship-runs-aground-off-Italy-3-bodies-found-69-missing

Costa-Concordia-007.jpg

I am somewhat perplexed. My understanding is that the passengers were sitting at their dinner tables at 8pm when the event started, looking along the track to that approx time puts it well offshore. Giving the time frame if the ship continued for some time whilst they assessed the damage before starting its turn towards Giglio. The time of the turn relevant is at 22:10 which is some time after the actual start time.

Hopefully we will all know the full facts in time. Praying for the missing/unaccounted.

The first accident occured at the time you described per most recent reports. The Captain indicates they hit an undersea ridge offshore and that their charts indicated they'd clear that ridge. Once they hit, they altered course towards land. It almost looks to me like they hit again though.

I'm betting they hit twice.

A lot of people are comparing this to the Titanic, but it is more similar to the sinking of the Andrea Doria in 1956
I believe same as Titanic. Headed straight towards an island due to poor navigation, saw the island last moment on the visual, tried to miss ... buzz.

5. Have an electronic copy of your passport available. I send one to myself online via email for just such instances. That way, I can access these copies if I am separated from my documents. Last time I travelled, I had an electronic copy of my passport, birth certificate, Visa, and health insurance information in electronic format available. I deleted this when I got back home, but this is quite safe if you have a strong email password.

Don't live in fear, but talk about what you would do and how you would recover from a bad situation (evacuate ship, medical emergency, theft, etc)

I am sorry to ask what is probably going to be a silly quesiton but when your refer to an electronic copy of your passport, do you mean you scan your passport pages into your computer to get the info later? We have alsways made copies of our pasport and left them at home as well as have taken a copy on board, but haven't scanned anything into our computer.

Thanks for your help.

I have scanned copy of my passport on my email, that way in case of emergency and i have to leave everything behind, at least i can find it via email and print them out whenever i have access to computer & printer

The first accident occured at the time you described per most recent reports. The Captain indicates they hit an undersea ridge offshore and that their charts indicated they'd clear that ridge. Once they hit, they altered course towards land. It almost looks to me like they hit again though.

Trying to look at the facts as we are aware there only appeared to be one 'bang' and then the loss of electrics. It was then followed by an hour whilst the ship was checked over. I would think it was at this time that turned towards Giglio and attempted to ground the vessel to safe guard the passenger. It would in nautical thought be a fairly logical thing to do if there was a big ingress of water.

If the damage did occur prior to the 22:10 turn then it appears that it was not a navigational error but one due to the charts being incorrect whether they were the printed or electronic type

I still feel that the crew attempted to stablise the ship by flooding the opposite side and during the turn around she listed and once started couldnt be stopped

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I scan them into the computer as an image and then I email them to myself as an attachment (I send them to my work email address).

That way, I can log into my email at a later date, and go to my 'sent' folder, and retrieve the attachments for any authority that may need them.

There is no way they hit anything out in those waters, when they started steaming towards the island, it's over 100 feet deep at all points. So of course they cleared the ridge, it wasn't there. And if they were taking on water, alarms would have sounded miles before they reached their grave.

Bingo. They hit the ridge out at sea, turned to shore, and ended up trying to go through the little islands and hit again.

Archived