Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I am getting so confused by what is being reported. I am genuinely asking if someone can help me understand the timeline of the vents..

According to what I have read so far the ship struck "something", passengers felt a shudder and the lights flickered, correct? This happened at 8:42 local time? Reports keep indicating the time is either 8:42 or 9:42 when this began.. which is it?

3 minutes later, at 8:45 a passenger calls his parents in Tuscany who then call the Coast Guard in Livorno who then call the ship at 9:06 and ask if everything is ok?

**8:42 Concordia strikes a rock.

**8:45 A passenger calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**Power has allegedly gone completely out at some point during this time period, 8:45-9:06, correct?

According to the Qastor data, the ship approached the island at approximately 15 kts and just prior to striking the rock, dramatically slows to 8kts and turns hard to starboard at 8:45. So the timeline reported isn't perfect..

UPDATED

**8:45 A passenger calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**9:05 Schettino call Costa Management.

**9:06 Coast Guard at Livorno calls Concordia and speaks with Schettino.

**9:06 Concordia dropped anchor and is halfway into hard turn to starboard

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/news.qps.nl/Grounding+Costa+Concordia.wmv

>>>By the way, the above link indicates the ship turned to starboard to return, not port.. which is it?<<<

So, 9:05 Schettino calls Costa and presumably while he is on that phone call with Costa, he gets an incoming call from Coast Guard officials from Livorno on minute later, at 9:06. Schettino is at this point holding both phones and speaking to both parties, correct? He tells the Coast Guard that Concordia is suffering from electrical issues and is in a black out and does not need assistance, no mention to the Coast Guard that the hull has been breached. What is he telling Costa officials during this same exact time that he is presumably having both conversations? Also, it's been reported by the ship's engineers that they could not reach the Captain during this time period to inform him of the amount of flooding occurring from the breach because the Schettino was on his cell phone, correct?

Also, during this time, 30 minutes after Concordia strikes something, Port Authorities radio Concordia. There is no confirmation of timeline, just an audio recording between Port Authorities in Livorna and Concordia indicating that a crew member called relatives and informed them that they were ordered to "put on life jackets" and "dishes were crashing on his head". Concordia responds with "we are verifying the blackout" and when asked how long they have been experiencing the blackout, replies with "about 20 minutes".

UPDATED

**8:45 A passenger (possibly the crew member now) calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**8:45-9:05 Crew ordered to put on life jackets

**9:05 Schettino call Costa Management.

**9:06 Coast Guard at Livorno calls Concordia and speaks with Schettino.

**9:06 Concordia dropped anchor and is halfway into hard turn to starboard

**9:12 Radio conversation between Port Authorites and Concordia (unidentified crew on Concordia) takes place discusses blackout only)

**9:16 Coast Guard in Livorno radios Concordia not a second, a third time.

If I am understanding correctly, by 9:12, a full thirty minutes after the inceident, the ship experiences the full blackout for at least 20 minutes (after the initial flickering of lights), has dropped anchor, is listing at least 7 degrees from taking on water, turning hard to starboard (or port in some reports) to move the ship closer to land and crew has been ordered to put on life jackets. By 9:16 Schettino had initiated contact with Costa-not the any emergency authorities and the ships crew had been contacted not once or twice, but a third time by Port Authorities/Coast Guard and Schettino at this point still has not admitted to needing assistance?

Am I getting it correct so far?

**9:30 Schettino orders a Mayday, Concordia is listing 20 degrees

**9:30-9:50 Concordia is still moving to starboard, apparently under thruster control

**9:50 Schettino orders abandoned ship under pressure from Coast Guard

What was Schettino planning? In the 70 minutes prior to this order (which appears to be reluctant) to abandoned ship, he turns the ship about, moves it closer to land essentially grounding it, orders crew to put on life jackets and describes all of those actions as life saving decisions yet never gives the impression to anyone of authority (outside of the cruiseline) that there is any real threat to the ship? What did he think would happen? The ship would just rest there, sitting upright and eventually he would offload the passengers and crew?

This is where I get even more fuzzy. Costa has made a statement that the crew was able to get almost all passengers off the ship in under 2 hours yet I still see video and read accounts of many passengers attempting to get off the ship well beyond that. Coast Guard night vision video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE

**10:00 Concordia finally stops moving toward land, apparently is grounded

**10:40 Schettino reportedly seen getting into lifeboat, 2nd and 3rd officers present.

**11:40 Coast Guard speaks to Schettino, ordered back on board Concordia

During the time the ship made it's turn back to land and prior to abandoning ship order was given, were passengers already leaving the ship? Were there reports that stated passengers left/jumped and swam for it? From what I can tell, the ship was still moving one hour and 20 minutes after the she was holed.

Also, Schettino was reported already in a lifeboat just 40 minutes after the ship stopped moving towards land, just two hours after the incident. Even more crazy, remind me again where in this timeline the Schettino is still waiting for his meal to be prepared, with the young woman companion? I thought he was on the phone for over an hour with Costa / Port Authorities / Coast Guard?

This is all so crazy..

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the webbot project, which was originally a financial forecast program but has become a sort of predictor of major worldwide events, including predicting 9/11.

It also predicted the complete collapse of the US dollar, WWIII, and Israel bombing Iran by now. Not very reliable.

I've found the same thing, the problem is as far as I can tell the IMO regulations are not really regulations, i.e. there is no requirement to comply nor penalty for non compliance.

This is different from SOLAS, which is a treaty and has some legal implications but I can't find anything in the 300 pages of text requiring a passenger muster drill...

Thanks for that, very interesting.

This begs the question, are we to assume that the word 'regulation' actually means 'guideline/suggestion'? There's a big difference between regulation and suggestion.

Actually, on an Italian flagged and owned boat one could make a case for italian being the language in question.

Agreed. Which is why I'd only sail on a ship where primary announcements are in a language I understand.

Even on Costa, where I've read they do English after the Italian, once they say EMERGENCY in Italian, you aren't going to be able to hear/understand the English

I am getting so confused by what is being reported. I am genuinely asking if someone can help me understand the timeline of the vents..

Kenny, your time line seems off (early) by an hour -- I suspect your times are GMT, one hour earlier than Italian/ship time.

Agreed. Which is why I'd only sail on a ship where primary announcements are in a language I understand.

Even on Costa, where I've read they do English after the Italian, once they say EMERGENCY in Italian, you aren't going to be able to hear/understand the English

Some of the video from passengers that had audio from the announcements I was watching, I could see it in the faces that people didn't quite get what they were hearing. You could tell they didn't understand the language being spoken and at one point, while the announcement was in English, the crowd on deck was so loud, then when it switched to Italian, everyone went silent very quickly. You can imagine what that would be like just watching. So many different nationalities on board at the same time..

We have good information that he was conceited, a show off, domineering, a crony, a drinker, a womaniser, a rule and law-breaker who faces criminal prosecution, somone unable to face up to the consequences of his actions, which drove his country onto the rocks and he had to be relieved of his command..... so lets at least be thankful that Silvio Berlusconi was not at the helm of the Costa Concordia on that fateful night! Things could have been even worse.

We've just about heard it all now.... the cell-phone sail-by, the drinks, the trip, the (blonde under?) blanket on the lifeboat, the protestations of innocence All I'm waiting to hear about now are the bunga bunga parties held on board the ship.

Kenny, your time line seems off (early) by an hour -- I suspect your times are GMT, one hour earlier than Italian/ship time.

I thought so, I was using the data feeds time stamp from the ship movements. I didn't know what time zone was being used for the video.

This new info about the blonde is EXACTLY why the captain should be held in a jail cell, and not under home arrest. He has now had nearly a week to get in touch with the rest of the crew, the blonde, and anyone else involved so they can all get their stories straight. Had they all been kept isolated, we may have eventually gotten the truth. Now we will get a sanitized, collaborative version of the story -- which will never be near the truth. Ugh.

I'm sorry, but I tend to agree with Joannie. Why would a young woman like that be a "special guest" of the captain/officers on the bridge? Or did I miss the reason for her to be a "special guest"?

I wonder if this is the same woman who was seen drinking/eating with the captain?

Yes it's the same woman. Also, cruise ships usually have a Captain's Cabin adjacent to the Bridge.......;)

John

PS

Cruise Critic ought to survey the Cruise Industry for alcohol consumtion by officers.

NCL has ZERO tolerance for any alcohol consumption by ship's officers and staff during their entire contract.

Obviously, Costa has no such prohibition or the Captain would not have been drinking wine with the Mystery Lady in public.

I don't know about others.

It also predicted the complete collapse of the US dollar, WWIII, and Israel bombing Iran by now. Not very reliable.

It did not predict any of those things BY NOW. And by some accounts history will show that WW3 was the Cold War, but we are now digressing. The program never put a time frame before March '12 for any Israel/Iran conflict. Again, digressing.

Stick to what was posted and it's a very clear prediction, which has come true. Not quite the way the human interpreted it but it still came to pass. We have "ships of state" that will "run aground" and will involve a "blond woman".

You could not ask for a more perfect hit!

Like what? Pretty?

And if it had been an attractive young man who was the special guest? Would you assume the captain went both ways?

If it was an elderly woman would you assume he had a granny fetish?

Does he? shocking, unbelieveable, nah you are telling fibs aint you ? lol.........

Thats how rumours start lol.....:)

According to what I have read so far the ship struck "something", passengers felt a shudder and the lights flickered, correct? This happened at 8:42 local time? Reports keep indicating the time is either 8:42 or 9:42 when this began.. which is it?

**9:30 Schettino orders a Mayday, Concordia is listing 20 degrees

**9:30-9:50 Concordia is still moving to starboard, apparently under thruster control

**9:50 Schettino orders abandoned ship under pressure from Coast Guard

You're not the only one, that's for sure. Some reports do not tally, I'm not sure where the meal fits in as it appears he was steering the ship when he hit the rock. Did he then go off for a little while to finish his dinner????:eek:

I also read a report that he had raided the safe before leaving the ship. When I read it I laughed...too ridiculous for words...some folk will say anything. Now??? You know what, it wouldn't surprize me. Not saying it's true, I'm still, believe it or not, trying to stay open minded. Just saying, if it turned out to be true I would no longer be suprized.

The way I see it, the times are confusing as sometimes they are given as local times, & sometimes given as GMT. Not helpful when trying to sort out the timeline.

As far as I'm aware, the Captain never did call Mayday...or indeed give the order to abandon ship. It is my understanding that it was another officer, Bosio?????? who initially gave this order & started evacuation proceedings. In some reports this appears to be the Captain of the Serena rather than a Concordia officer, who was 'hitching a lift' from Rome to Savona.

This though was after a lack of decision by the Captain after he had spent over an hour on the 'phone.

I've found the same thing, the problem is as far as I can tell the IMO regulations are not really regulations, i.e. there is no requirement to comply nor penalty for non compliance.

This is different from SOLAS, which is a treaty and has some legal implications but I can't find anything in the 300 pages of text requiring a passenger muster drill...

IMO Regulations are what they are, regulations, they are regulations that have been created by member stations to regulate maritime matters. Members states who are signatory to these rules/regulatons are required to follow them.

rgds

One report I read stated that 696 passengers joined the ship at the stop before the accident (out of which I have cruised on MSC).

If close to seven hundred passengers had NOT had a safety briefing and yet they were in compliance with "the law", it seems now in retrospect, to be an ill-thought-out law , and I would anticipate it will be tweaked.

Which is what is confusing me.. I can't find a list of signatories to the IMO regulations, just to SOLAS. Nor can I find any form of legal language stating how those regulations are applied, nor punitive actions if they are not and who would enforce those and how....

IMO Regulations are what they are, regulations, they are regulations that have been created by member stations to relulate maritime matters. Members states who are signatory to these rules/regulatons are required to follow them.

rgds

Which is what is confusing me.. I can't find a list of signatories to the IMO regulations, just to SOLAS. Nor can I find any form of legal language stating how those regulations are applied, nor punitive actions if they are not and who would enforce those and how....

Loonbeam, this appears to be a list of signatories, although the document is full of legal terminology which is absolutely not my field and has my head spinning! :D

http://www.imo.org/About/Conventions/StatusOfConventions/Documents/Status%20-%202012.pdf

It could be the information that you've already seen, but its all I can find too.

According to what I have read so far the ship struck "something", passengers felt a shudder and the lights flickered, correct? This happened at 9:42 local time? Reports keep indicating the time is either 8:42 or 9:42 when this began.. which is it?

3 minutes later, at 9:45 a passenger calls his parents in Tuscany who then call the Coast Guard in Livorno who then call the ship at 10:06 and ask if everything is ok?

**9:42 Concordia strikes a rock.

**9:45 A passenger calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**Power has allegedly gone completely out at some point during this time period, 9:45-10:06, correct?

According to the Qastor data, the ship approached the island at approximately 15 kts and just prior to striking the rock, dramatically slows to 8kts and turns hard to starboard at 9:45. So the timeline reported isn't perfect..

UPDATED

**9:45 A passenger calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**10:05 Schettino call Costa Management.

**10:06 Coast Guard at Livorno calls Concordia and speaks with Schettino.

**10:06 Concordia dropped anchor and is halfway into hard turn to starboard

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ne...+Concordia.wmv

>>>By the way, the above link indicates the ship turned to starboard to return, not port.. which is it?<<<

So, 10:05 Schettino calls Costa and presumably while he is on that phone call with Costa, he gets an incoming call from Coast Guard officials from Livorno on minute later, at 10:06. Schettino is at this point holding both phones and speaking to both parties, correct? He tells the Coast Guard that Concordia is suffering from electrical issues and is in a black out and does not need assistance, no mention to the Coast Guard that the hull has been breached. What is he telling Costa officials during this same exact time that he is presumably having both conversations? Also, it's been reported by the ship's engineers that they could not reach the Captain during this time period to inform him of the amount of flooding occurring from the breach because the Schettino was on his cell phone, correct?

Also, during this time, 30 minutes after Concordia strikes something, Port Authorities radio Concordia. There is no confirmation of timeline, just an audio recording between Port Authorities in Livorna and Concordia indicating that a crew member called relatives and informed them that they were ordered to "put on life jackets" and "dishes were crashing on his head". Concordia responds with "we are verifying the blackout" and when asked how long they have been experiencing the blackout, replies with "about 20 minutes".

UPDATED

**9:45 A passenger (possibly the crew member now) calls his parents just 3 minutes after they struck something?

**9:45-10:05 Crew ordered to put on life jackets

**10:05 Schettino call Costa Management.

**10:06 Coast Guard at Livorno calls Concordia and speaks with Schettino.

**10:06 Concordia dropped anchor and is halfway into hard turn to starboard

**10:12 Radio conversation between Port Authorites and Concordia (unidentified crew on Concordia) takes place discusses blackout only)

**10:16 Coast Guard in Livorno radios Concordia not a second, a third time.

If I am understanding correctly, by 10:12, a full thirty minutes after the inceident, the ship experiences the full blackout for at least 20 minutes (after the initial flickering of lights), has dropped anchor, is listing at least 7 degrees from taking on water, turning hard to starboard (or port in some reports) to move the ship closer to land and crew has been ordered to put on life jackets. By 10:16 Schettino had initiated contact with Costa-not the any emergency authorities and the ships crew had been contacted not once or twice, but a third time by Port Authorities/Coast Guard and Schettino at this point still has not admitted to needing assistance?

Am I getting it correct so far?

**10:30 Schettino orders a Mayday, Concordia is listing 20 degrees

**10:30-10:50 Concordia is still moving to starboard, apparently under thruster control

**10:50 Schettino orders abandoned ship under pressure from Coast Guard

What was Schettino planning? In the 70 minutes prior to this order (which appears to be reluctant) to abandoned ship, he turns the ship about, moves it closer to land essentially grounding it, orders crew to put on life jackets and describes all of those actions as life saving decisions yet never gives the impression to anyone of authority (outside of the cruiseline) that there is any real threat to the ship? What did he think would happen? The ship would just rest there, sitting upright and eventually he would offload the passengers and crew?

This is where I get even more fuzzy. Costa has made a statement that the crew was able to get almost all passengers off the ship in under 2 hours yet I still see video and read accounts of many passengers attempting to get off the ship well beyond that. Coast Guard night vision video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE

**11:00 Concordia finally stops moving toward land, apparently is grounded

**Sometime After 11:00 Deputy Mayor boards Concordia during this time, no other officers anywhere with the exception of Chief Purser, not even on the bridge.

**11:40 Schettino reportedly seen in a lifeboat, 2nd and 3rd officers present.

**12:40AM Coast Guard speaks to Schettino, ordered back on board Concordia

During the time the ship made it's turn back to land and prior to abandoning ship order was given, were passengers already leaving the ship? Were there reports that stated passengers left/jumped and swam for it? From what I can tell, the ship was still moving one hour and twenty minutes after the she was holed.

Also, Schettino was reported already in a lifeboat at 11:40, just 40 minutes after the ship stopped moving towards land, just two hours after the incident. Even more crazy, remind me again where in this timeline the Schettino is still waiting for his meal to be prepared, with the young woman companion? I thought he was on the phone for over an hour with Costa / Port Authorities / Coast Guard?

This is all so crazy..

It did not predict any of those things BY NOW. And by some accounts history will show that WW3 was the Cold War, but we are now digressing. The program never put a time frame before March '12 for any Israel/Iran conflict. Again, digressing.

Stick to what was posted and it's a very clear prediction, which has come true. Not quite the way the human interpreted it but it still came to pass. We have "ships of state" that will "run aground" and will involve a "blond woman".

You could not ask for a more perfect hit!

Hilarious. Thanks for lightening the mood!

IMO Regulations are what they are, regulations, they are regulations that have been created by member stations to regulate maritime matters. Members states who are signatory to these rules/regulatons are required to follow them.

rgds

davyjonesrugrat, thank you for clearing this up. I'd also like to thank you, (and Topsham), for your professional input on the thread. I've found it very helpful.

http://www.imo.org/blast/contents.asp?topic_id=68&doc_id=513

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Maritime_Organization

http://www.interferry.com/regulations

These all give various tasks of the IMO.

As the UK is a signatory of the IMO we are legally bound to carry out the regulations they give..

The list of signatory countries is found at https://imo.amsa.gov.au/public/parties/imo-members.html

rgds

rgds

Which naturally, the question follows, are there audits? and how often?

What I meant is are the muster drills, emergency procedures audited?

Just saw this and had to post it.

The title makes it sound bad, but you have to read this to understand:

Island priest saves ship disaster relics as reminder

Make sure you read what he says in Paragraph 6

QUOTE: "The night the massive cruise ship was ripped open and capsized against a rocky undersea slope just a few hundred yards from the port, the passengers reached the church first and the crew later, proof that the ship's staff, unlike the captain, had manned their posts to the end, said Don Lorenzo." UNQUOTE

My Underlining is for emphasis above

http://news.yahoo.com/island-priest-saves-ship-disaster-relics-reminder-141521408.html

Joanie

Archived