Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

According to La Repubblica the ship started shifting and "engineers have calculated that the shift of the ship, which started at 1 a.m. was up to one inch an hour."

They did not say how many hours that lasted. With the translation, it could have just shifted once, it could have shifted more.

I don't know if this link will work but it's the alarm sounding when the ship started shifting this morning.

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/naufragio-giglio-costa-concordia/allarme-la-sirena-suona-all-1-di-notte-la-concordia-si-muove/86324?video=&ref=HRER3-1

That sent the CG out in boats to check on Concordia.

I'm not sure how much longer they can continue search and recovery. They have delayed starting the salvage work out of respect for those that are missing but every day they delay could create an even bigger problem.

Bosio is the off duty Serena captain.

That's what I gathered from the earlier articles. And he talked about being off-duty and in his cabin at the time of collision...his efforts with the passengers and being at the muster station well before the abandon ship.

But the new Italian article that is covering the testimony, quotes Schettino talking about his second, Roberto Bosio, who was on the bridge. There was something like that in the "bail hearing" document (about Bosio being the second) as well, but it was strangely worded and I thought it was either a legalese or translation issue.

Now I'm really confused.

Webcam grab taken of the Costa Concordia Jan 22, 2012 with a small fleet of recovery and rescue vessels. Taken 12:25pm local time.

CCJan22.jpg

The efforts resumed in the part of the vessel that is above water, said Francesca Maffino, a spokeswoman for the head of civil protection.

Has anyone seen a longer interview with the Rodfords of Kent? I can only find shorter ones.

I'll tell you why I ask. According to this story, the Rodfords made it to a lifeboat with 30 people on board, and they arrived at the dock at around 12:30. I find the coincidence startling between their story and that of Domnica, who also claimed to be on a lifeboat with 30 people and arriving at the dock at 12:30. It would be interesting if other details of the Rodford rescue mirrored those of Domnica's return to land.

That's what I gathered from the earlier articles. And he talked about being off-duty and in his cabin at the time of collision...his efforts with the passengers and being at the muster station well before the abandon ship.

But the new Italian article that is covering the testimony, quotes Schettino talking about his second, Roberto Bosio, who was on the bridge. There was something like that in the "bail hearing" document (about Bosio being the second) as well, but it was strangely worded and I thought it was either a legalese or translation issue.

Now I'm really confused.

I imagine that Capt. Bosio reported to the bridge at the first indication of a problem.

If you did not see it already, post 2372 on page 82 of this tread may give you some additional insight, especially the section entitiled "The Order to Lower the Lifeboats".

Bosio has a facebook page that is visible if you search for it; it lists him as staff captain on Serena. Earlier in the week, his wall showed comments but they have since been deleted. Photos and friends list are viewable.

Has anyone seen a longer interview with the Rodfords of Kent? I can only find shorter ones.

I'll tell you why I ask. According to this story, the Rodfords made it to a lifeboat with 30 people on board, and they arrived at the dock at around 12:30. I find the coincidence startling between their story and that of Domnica, who also claimed to be on a lifeboat with 30 people and arriving at the dock at 12:30. It would be interesting if other details of the Rodford rescue mirrored those of Domnica's return to land.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2012/01/15/costa-concordia-briton-thought-her-life-was-over-as-the-cruise-ship-sank-115875-23701212/

I can only find versions of the same thing here.

Has this been mentioned before?

"Francesco Schettino, the cruise ship captain accused of steering the Costa Concordia into rocks on the island of Giglio in a reckless bid to "salute" the island, has reportedly said he was ordered to carry out the manoeuvre by ship owner Costa Crociere.

"The salute at Giglio on 13 January was planned and wanted by Costa before the departure from Civitavecchia," Schettino told a judge investigating the collision, according to transcripts leaked to Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

At least 12 people died trying to escape from the vessel as it listed on rocks following the collision. Schettino is being held under house arrest accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Schettino said the "salute" should have been carried out a week earlier, but was put off due to bad weather.

He reportedly told the investigating judge that there was "insistence" by the firm on carrying out such manoeuvres, because it was a good way to promote its cruises.

"Costa was aware of the repeated practice of 'saluting' around the world," said Schettino."

News coming through here that there may have been 'unregistered' passengers on board.

Just saw that together with "On Sunday, civil protection officials said divers would not be allowed into the submerged part of the vessel until the sea was calmer. Rescuers continued their work above the water line"

Hi Guys

I thought I'd repost the Original Post that started this great thread Entitled "Costa Concordia SINKING", to discuss what is "On Topic".

I'm concerned with the expressed belief by some posters that items considered "On Topic" should be narrowly construed. Even taking into account that my primary Cruise Critic activity has been on Roll Calls, I believe some of the "On Topic" police have had a negative impact on Cruise Critic's underlying concept of amiable and amicable "Community." :eek:

It might be best to take 2 steps back and consider the following:

1. The Topic Post is:
"Costa Concordia SINKING"

2. Journalism Schools, world wide, teach that reporting story involves: Who, What, When, Why, and How.

3. People's individual writing styles differ: technical, humorous, sarcastic, serious, allegorical, factual, hypothetical, etc., etc.

It might be a good idea for everyone to take a more tolerant view of the different ways in which different people approach, explain or discuss a topic, especially a topic dealing with a tragedy. An emotionally charged topic, like this, causes different people to react differently: laugh, cry, anger, fear, intelectualize, etc. :)

I hope we can remember that we are all members of the Cruise Critic Community and should treat each other will good will and respect. I think that includes defining "On Topic" broadly to make allowances for different personalities, points of view, backgrounds, writing styles and the way each of us confronts a tragedy.

I'll put my soap box away now and prepare another of my famous (infamous) posts in my "gallows humor" style. :o

With Goodwill,

John

I imagine that Capt. Bosio reported to the bridge at the first indication of a problem.

If you did not see it already, post 2372 on page 82 of this tread may give you some additional insight, especially the section entitiled "The Order to Lower the Lifeboats".

That article also calls Bosio the second in command. The new article says (approximately) that the Costa boss asked Schettino to download the data to the black box and he passed that order to Bosio. Back on shore Bosio told him that he pushed the button but the system was off.

I don't understand how an off-duty captain could be considered Schettino's second in command, or how he could be both on the bridge trying to operate the black box and down at a muster station loading passengers a reported 13 minutes before the abandon ship order.

Just because one captain on one ship did something wrong does not mean that cruising is not safe. You have to look at the overall safety record for the last ten years, not the overall safety record on January 13, 2012.

January 13 changed everything. You can't just pick out ten years. We could pick out 100 years or one year. The overall safety record would change. Changes need to be made. Already we see that management of this particular company is spinning this as the responsibility of one man. That man does need to be accountable for his actions but the cruise company also needs to be held accountable. They are not innocents in this disaster. And I think more will be revealed eventually than the legends being spun out about the Captain, about the safety culture of the cruise company.

My friends and coworkers know I cruise a lot and want to know what I think. I tell them this was an unusual event and that the cruise companies will have to make changes. They will have to decide whether they think it is safe to cruise. I think it is relatively safe and have one booked from before the disaster which I still plan to do, and I also still plan to book one or two other cruises this year.

What on earth is an "unregistered passenger"??? A stowaway?

An "unregistered passenger" is a violation of international and national laws which require the ship's manifest to list every person on board.

In this case, Donmica can't be called a "stow away" because, apparently, she was "smuggled" on board with the help of senior officer staff. :eek:

Of course the question of Why she was smuggled on board is an open topic for discussion. ;)

I think she should be referred to as the noun used with the verb "to smuggle", the word "Contraband" comes to mind. :p

John

An "unregistered passenger" is a violation of international and national laws which require the ship's manifest to list every person on board.

In this case, Donmica can't be called a "stow away" because, apparently, she was "smuggled" on board with the help of senior officer staff. :eek:

Of course the question of Why she was smuggled on board is an open topic for discussion. ;)

I think she should be referred to as the noun used with the verb "to smuggle", the word "Contraband" comes to mind. :p

John

And the plural was used!

News coming through here that there may have been 'unregistered' passengers on board.
How does that happen?? :confused:

Even if one of the upper level officers has a girlfriend on board for that cruise,

--or a son or daughter of the Captain Himself--

surely that girlfriend or child must/should have a cruise-card to access the cabin,etc.

Having been invited to lunch on board a few times, while ships are in port

-at the gangway entry point, one surrenders local ID card/drivers license/whatever ..in return for a temporary ship's pass.

After 3-4 hrs. of lunch and touring the ship, and upon exiting the ship

one surrenders the temp. pass and retrieve your local form of ID.

But that is not a passenger: just a day visitor!

And that short stay on board does not involve the Boink! machine and regular tally of Souls On Board

A passenger surely is one who travels on the ship from one port to another

and should therefore be entered in the ship's computerized data base of All Souls On Board

so the Boink! machine can sort out exactly who and who's not on board.

Maybe the Italians do it differently: wouldn't be the first time.:rolleyes:

Hi Guys

I thought I'd repost the Original Post that started this great thread Entitled "Costa Concordia SINKING", to discuss what is "On Topic".

I'm concerned with the expressed belief by some posters that items considered "On Topic" should be narrowly construed. Even taking into account that my primary Cruise Critic activity has been on Roll Calls, I believe some of the "On Topic" police have had a negative impact on Cruise Critic's underlying concept of amiable and amicable "Community." :eek:

It might be best to take 2 steps back and consider the following:

1. The Topic Post is:
"Costa Concordia SINKING"

2. Journalism Schools, world wide, teach that reporting story involves: Who, What, When, Why, and How.

3. People's individual writing styles differ: technical, humorous, sarcastic, serious, allegorical, factual, hypothetical, etc., etc.

It might be a good idea for everyone to take a more tolerant view of the different ways in which different people people approach, explain or discuss a topic, especially a topic dealing with a tragedy. An emotionally charged topic, like this, causes different people to react differently: laugh, cry, anger, fear, intelectualize, etc. :)

I hope we can remember that we are all members of the Cruise Critic Community and should treat each other will good will and respect. I think that includes defining "On Topic" broadly to make allowances for different personalities, points of view, backgrounds, writing styles and the way each of us confronts a tragedy.

I'll put my soap box away now and prepare another of my famous (infamous) posts in my "gallows humor" style. :o

With Goodwill,

John

I will leave it to the moderators to decide which are off topic but I am sorry I got sucked in by one off topic post and replied to it. I should have just ignored it.

One thing to notice is that in the original post it was stated that all passengers survived. I think as more facts come out about this disaster we will learn that many of the early presumptions and theories, and the ones currently being spun may turn out be incorrect.

I can't wait for the criminal prosecution to begin.

Now that Costa has abandoned their Captain, I'm pretty sure the Captain will try his best to bring down the company by making all sorts of claims and allegations.

True or not, I don't know, but it certainly will turn out to be sensational.

I've been pondering the similarities and differences between the Costa Concordia grounding, and the grounding of the Monarch of the Seas in 1998:

(here's a link to Monarch report - http://marinecasualty.com/documents/monarch.pdf )

The Monarch of the Seas(MOS) had made an unscheduled late night stop off of St. Marrten to drop off a sick passenger. As the ship left Great Harbor on the way to Martinique, she grounded on a reef 1.5 miles south of the island due to a navigation error...

0130 - MOS hit the reef ; 0132 -Captain on the bridge; 0133- engineer reported flooding; 0135 - all WT doors closed; 0140-0145 contacted RCCL HQ and St. maarten port; 0147- Sound general alarm; orders passengers to muster stations; 0215 - all lifeboats ready for embarkation; 0220 all pasengers at muster station; 0235 -ship ran aground on sand bank in Great harbor... all passengers sent to shore via shore tenders (process took about 4 hours)

What I found interesting was the time it took to get all the passengers mustered; 40 minutes. Of course, in that case it was the middle of the night. Also the MOS finally grounded on a sand bank, not a rocky underwater ledge.

The big difference though appears to be the fact that the captain and officers were able to correctly process the information and realize quickly that the ship was mortally wounded (they came to find a 130 ft gash 3 feet wide in the keel)

Aloha,

John

I too re-read that report the other day and was struck by some pertinent issues. Note the Master's first call was to Maritime Ops at HQ, something that Schettino has been vilified for (here and elsewhere). It should also be said that in conjunction with HQ and the local authorities it was a deliberate plan to beach the vessel on the sandbar - clear communication and an agreed plan, somewhat in contrast to the apparent series of events with the Concordia!

There is also some fascinating stuff (especially for those who have been discussing Bridge Resource Management) about the nature of the Captain's relationship to his officers, and the lack of challenge about the course (the staff captain was on the bridge at the time). To paraphrase the conclusion, the qualities traditionally required in a Master are exactly those which make it difficult for BRM to work properly. That will no doubt be looked at again.

Costa has reported that Domnica was a registered guest with a ticket. She says she was a registered guest with a cabin and she still has her cabin key.

I can't wait for a better translation.

By the way...who is Roberto Bosio? If he is the second in command, then who is the Greek officer? If Bosio was on the bridge, then who was the off-duty Serena captain who started loading the lifeboats?

All very, very confusing.

Captain Bosio is the Captain of the Costa Serena. He was off duty and was a passenger aboard the Costa Concordia on his way to begin his vacation time beginning, I believe in Serona. He just happened to be aboard the Concordia as a means to get to vacation. The airlines do this all the time, they call it "Dead Heading"

EARLY reports had indicated that he was the 1st or 2nd Officer of the Concordia, and that Schettino detested him (or something to that effect.) But later the truth came out from various Officials, to inclde Costa Crociere as to his actual status, etc.

The actual 1st Officer mentioned in radio communications by schettino to Coast Guard Captain De Falco, was a Greek man "Dimitri (Cannot remember his last name right now, but he is Greek)

Joanie

Archived