Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

The damage appears to be in the area of the engine room - which mercifully is mostly automated these days - but we won't know for a while I expect.

Why is the damage where it is? That is what I want to know

In one of the many pictures of the gash on the port side of the ship if you look to the right hand side of the gash you can clearly see a large rock embedded into the side of the ship.

The reason why the stabilisers are undamaged is more than likley due to the ship being at is widest at this point or due to the fact that the ship may have been turning to starboard at the moment of impact.

When you look at the gash picture again you can clearly see the rock has moved along the length of the gash as the indentation starts with a large unbroken gouge before the hull is beached and ends with the rock embedded in the hull.

Its my view on the observation of the photo

"large rock" is an understatement. That thing is at least 2 decks high.

My prayers go out to all of the Family and Crew. Hopefully minimal casualties occured.

Below is the link from WFTV Channel 9 here in Central Florida. It has been a main story here as well

http://www.wftv.com/ap/ap/top-news/reports-cruise-ship-aground-off-italy-6-dead/nGMkt/

I leave for my cruise today and will definatly pay more attention to the Muster Drill.

Italian news are talking about 50 people missing as of noon of Saturday (the ship was carrying 4.229 pax). The passengers list was only released a few hours ago so they are still checking who's in the medical facilities in the island and who is in the hospitals and shelters in the mainland. Still 3 deaths confirmed.

I was on board Costa Concordia till yesterday morning when we disembarked in Civitavecchia. It is the oddest feeling to think about the ship and all the people we met on board and not knowing exactly what happened to them. I commemorated my birthday at a dinner table which is now under water. The emergency drill would have been only after Savona for those who embarked yesterday and it was fairly relaxed. Nobody collected my emergency drill card for example. It was unthinkable that something like that would have happened to a ship like that in 'home waters'.

Welcome back.

It must be a very strange / difficult situation that you are feeling.

Ron

I was on board Costa Concordia till yesterday morning when we disembarked in Civitavecchia. It is the oddest feeling to think about the ship and all the people we met on board and not knowing exactly what happened to them. I commemorated my birthday at a dinner table which is now under water. The emergency drill would have been only after Savona for those who embarked yesterday and it was fairly relaxed. Nobody collected my emergency drill card for example. It was unthinkable that something like that would have happened to a ship like that in 'home waters'.

Here's hoping all your friends, both passengers and crew, made it off safely and you'll hear from them soon. Maybe next years birthday can be a reunion to celebrate!;)

I will say I just spent 5 months living on another ship and did look at the Concordia under water and realized "my cabin" would be under water too on the other ship. Makes going back out not so appealing.:cool:

Is there a chance to salvage/rescue the ship or will it sink definitely?

The ship appears to be now resting on the sea bed, which would prevent it from sinking any further. The cost of refloating and refurbishing the ship will be astronomical. I guess it depends what the damage to the engines/machinery is. Stuff further up in the hotel department and passenger areas can easily be redone, but if the engines/machinery below are beyond repair, then they may choose just to scrap her. Sad, seeing as the ship was only launched in 2006.

Hi All

Very sad news.

however reports say the captain they did not stop the ship and get all off,

instead he headed for the tiny island, by doing so he many have made things worse,

as the ship was taking on so much water that it listed to such a angle

OK far better to sink close to land and in shallow water rather than deep water.

however very many questions need to be answered and will

how did it strike a sand bar, its a local cruise run, done almost weekly

then there is the panic on board, we do not know how we were deal with this, but storries of people stam[eding down stairs crushing fellow passengers,

then folks jumping over board

then there is the issue of the list making launing the life boats very hard.

cruising needs to study this accident in great deal and learn all that it can

100 years ago we thought this could not happen, accidents can happen and sadly they will

yours Shogun

I just 'love' second guessers. There self proclaimed experts proclaiming blame and no one knows what happened yet.

One hell of a piece of Rock broken off ! One heck of a repair job! Fingers crossed that there are no more people missing and R.I.P those who sadly have died.

article-2086527-0F7474AE00000578-838_634x481.jpg

Is there a URL to a larger picture of that, as I certainly did not see that before in other pics? Cheers

More pictures and stories on TV. I am shocked like most people.I think Carnival corp must take their share of blame. Instead of concentrating on "nickel and diming" passengers they should have made sure their staff were trained properly and they had processes that worked !This is the worse disaster since the Titanic !

First, as others have pointed out, this is most certainly not the "worse" disaster since the Titanic.

Secondly, the crew responsible for the sailing and operation of the ship barely even talks to the crew responsible for passenger services, shore excursions, dining, entertainment, etc (i.e. the parts responsible for passenger revenue.) I'm pretty sure that the parts of CCL "concentrating on nickel and diming passengers" don't steer the ship in their spare time.

That'd be like blaming an airline crash on baggage fees...

And despite that massive damage, the fatalities are quite light here; I'd say that the processes for evacuating the ship (which the passenger services staff DO help out with) worked pretty well.

Is there a URL to a larger picture of that, as I certainly did not see that before in other pics? Cheers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Italy-Titanic-like-scene.html

Look at pictures 2 and 4, in picture 4 look at 3rd and 4th rope hanging down the side of the ship, the rock is there

rgds

sjpo, it's sounds as if you had a lucky escape. It must have been terrifying for everyone. It must feel very strange for you.

RIP to those that died & prayers for the 50 missing

I have been on 2 Costa cruises in the US. I will always remember the one that a Costa excursion flipped in GC and the excursion desk told the people "Pay your money and you take your chances. We are not responsible if you lost your passport and wallet." We all wondered then why do we pay you more for your excursions. Their were several people injured and they did not help those people at all.

Once this type of ship gets a list the deployment of lifeboats becomes almost impossible. If this had happened in the open ocean, like on a transatlantic voyage you can assume there would be 1000's dead

Also dont forget the Princess listing accident as well. These things are top heavy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Princess_(ship)#Listing_incident

The ship IMO is a write off. Salt water damage will ensure that.

Hi fellowfloater,

you noticed I started by saying reports

i.e. just posting what media is saying.

watch is intresting is as time goes by the same reporters change what they say

yours Shogun

I see that now. I re-read and you did say reports. My apologies for going off 1/2 cocked! I guess I spent too many years in the airline industry and realize accidents and incidents are never what they seem at first. Have good day in Bonnie Scotland!

Its hard to believe that I can go buy a 20 dollar fish finder that tells me the depth of the water around me when I go fishing, yet we have a modern cruise ship hitting a rock and almost completely sinking. Surely this ship has some sort of sonar to indicate water depth. Maybe electrical problems knocked out the navagation tools on the ship and she was unaware of the rock. If so, a complete redesign should be done on all ships to ensure the navagation system is always working.

Archived