Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

Hi All

News here is reporting that it was the 2nd in comand that gave the order to abandon ship not the captain,

this might go some way to explain the delay

it does not make clear who the 2nd in comand was,

it also states the first officer went with the captain when he left the ship.

below link to live web cam of the ship, she appears to be slipping more and more, I assume that there must be a lot of damage to the side which is under the water.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/nyheter/olyckor/article14228292.ab

yours Shogun

I just can't beleive what has happened. The whole thing...my prayers to all concerned. How could the Capt just leave??? It's about time the news media forused on Costa. Not the first time they have had mishaps. Our freinds and family are asking us to cancel our upcoming trip. At least now no one laughs about my ditch bag.

Hi All

News here is reporting that the captain was sailing by eye and not using

onboard computers or auto pilot.

Is there anything else that can come to light, how many other rules etc

could this man break in just one event.

yours Shogun

Hi All

News here is reporting that the captain was sailing by eye and not using

onboard computers or auto pilot.

Is there anything else that can come to light, how many other rules etc

could this man break in just one event.

yours Shogun

Yes, I read that report too. He allegedly testified that he was navigating by sight at the hearing yesterday. He also testified that the reason he left the ship early was because he tripped and fell into the lifeboat. He also admitted the reason he was sailing so close to shore was to salute a retired Costa captain who lived on the island. He was supposedly talking to this captain on the phone when the ship hit the rock.

Here is the link to the report supposedly taken from court testimony yesterday. It is almost too fantastic to believe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk./world/2012/jan/18/costa-concordia-captain-tripped-lifeboat

Here it is in Italian...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9020704/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-captain-told-to-get-back-on-board-by-coast-guard.html

I know most won't be able to understand, but it definitely paints a very clear picture. You can definitely hear the frustration in the commander's (of the port authority) voice when dealing with the captain. The cowardly captain is completely incriminated on this recording, so I'm interested to see what they'll find on the black box.

The captain crashes the ship and then has the nerve to abandon and leave hundreds of people on board with no guidance. Luckily, there are not more casualties. If only he had declared an abandon ship immediately after hitting the rock when the ship had only listed slightly, this whole thing could've been avoidable. Sadly, this was its fate. :(

The captain crashes the ship and then has the nerve to abandon and leave hundreds of people on board with no guidance. Luckily, there are not more casualties. If only he had declared an abandon ship immediately after hitting the rock when the ship had only listed slightly, this whole thing could've been avoidable. Sadly, this was its fate. :(

I don't think culpability should stop at the Captain although he is ultimately responsible.

There was a complete breakdown of the entire command structure/officer component of this ship. It has been reported repeatedly that there were NO officers visible AT ALL throughout this event. Had they been there, and had they been well trained and competent much of the chaos could have been reduced and, loss of life avoided.

Sad, very sad.

WVBill...You're right completely. All the reports I've read as well seem to indicate as much. It seems that even the waiters and cabin stewards were doing more to help then the actual officers or others in charge.

But from what I've also read is that even under Italian law this guy should've remained on the ship. Supposedly, just the fact that he abandoned ship will carry a heavy jail sentence of about 12 years! Still no comfort to the families of those who lost their lives...:(

As dean of ocean liner history, and extremely popular onboard lecturer of other ship disasters such as the Titanic and the Andrea Doria, John Maxtone-Graham has some interesting comments about the Costa Concordia tragedy.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/18/the_captain_who_wouldnt_go_down_with_the_ship/singleton/

As dean of ocean liner history, and extremely popular onboard lecturer of other ship disasters such as the Titanic and the Andrea Doria, John Maxtone-Graham has some interesting comments about the Costa Concordia tragedy.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/18/the_captain_who_wouldnt_go_down_with_the_ship/singleton/

Thanks so much for that article. It was most enlightening because it put the tragedy of the Concordia in historical perspective.

We had John Maxton-Graham as a lecturer on board the Prinsendam on a T.A. in 2009 and he was a riveting speaker. His lectures were always full and one had to get to the theatre at least 20-30 minutes before his talks began. He is an expert on ships.

Jennie

Based on the transcripts of his hearing, he's already admitted he ran the ship into the reef - forgetting what else he's done, that pretty much takes care of him.

The reports against the Captain seem very damning. I'm just

Surprised that a lot of this evidence is being released now

Before his inevitable trial.

Whatever we feel' date=' and how appalled we are, it does question

How he can now have an unbiased trial?[/quote']

Based on the transcripts of his hearing, he's already admitted he ran the ship into the reef - forgetting what else he's done, that pretty much takes care of him.

I agree

there are disasters and then there are DISASTERS. Unfortunately we can not bring back the dead. We need to focus on demanding better training for these worst type of disasters instead of simply insisting this captain be buried under a rock for life.

Carnival does not adequately train for extremely stressful disasters where power goes out and the ship lists. Additionally these floating 10+ story hotels are not designed to prevent this type of disaster and I never see that changing.

But better training, automatic dispersal of floating inflatible life rafts and other changes could be initiated as a backup when it is not possible to get passengers in to the normal life rafts in a timely fashion.

Thanks so much for that article. It was most enlightening because it put the tragedy of the Concordia in historical perspective.

Thanks for sharing this. His comments sum it up, specifically his comments regarding naval officers and seaman really rings true.

The captain apparently admitted in his court testimony that at the time of the accident he was navigating by sight only. Does anyone know if there is ever any sound reason for navigating by sight only or is this purely an egotistical maneuver to impress?

Also, what exactly does navigating by sight mean? Are all the instruments turned off?

Great article. Thanks for posting the link. Interesting title the author chose.

Bob

Tripped and fell into a lifeboat. Isn't that just a bit hard to believe? Give me a break.

And the dog ate his homework.

Interesting side note. During the recording made the coast guard captain calls the cruise ship captain a "cazzo". Which is Italian for a male sex organ. I guess he has a new nickname!

Well, see, here's one positive from this awful tragedy: we've all learned a little bit of useful Italian. I can see this word coming in very handy the next time I'm driving in Rome.

Just as the Captain is responsible for everything that happens on the ship, whether he was on the bridge or asleep in his cabin, the cruise line is responsible for the Captain. To me, Costa is admitting he made a mistake and opening themselves up to lawsuits. There's no way the passengers and/or families will only sue the Captain. They'll sue the cruise line as the responsible party.

Deep pockets

The captain apparently admitted in his court testimony that at the time of the accident he was navigating by sight only. Does anyone know if there is ever any sound reason for navigating by sight only or is this purely an egotistical maneuver to impress?

Also, what exactly does navigating by sight mean? Are all the instruments turned off?

The idiot was showboating. That's really what it comes down to. The arrogance and stupidity is beyond comprehension, and the media isn't helping by getting so many facts wrong and making incorrect assumptions. Heck, Diane Sawyer on ABC the other night called the ship the "Carnival Concordia" three times in two minutes, never mentioning Costa. She also said that the ship was owned by Carinival Cruise Lines. Who does her research and fact checking?

. Heck, Diane Sawyer on ABC the other night called the ship the "Carnival Concordia" three times in two minutes, never mentioning Costa. She also said that the ship was owned by Carinival Cruise Lines. Who does her research and fact checking?

I'm pretty sure ABC knows its the Costa not Carnival, but they know that people are familiar with Carnival and since it's owned by Carnival they didn't think it was incorrect. I heard the same on the radio in Washington DC and the reporter referred to it as "Canival" and people started calling in bashing Carnival, it just starts the ball rolling.

Archived