Sailing with a two year old? Camp Carnival?

tonijmccann

Hello! I'm going on a cruise in May and we're considering taking our two year old. I know they can go into Camp Carnival. What if they aren't potty trained? Do they change diapers there? Have you had a positive experience with Camp Carnival for a child that young? We just don't want to miss out on a couple excursions and wouldn't be able to do them with her, so we're thinking Camp Carnival would be great for us but I'd love some info first. Also, has anyone done the babysitting services? How was that? Where do they go for it? Do they sleep? (It goes til 3 am?) How much is that an hour? I'm a little nervous about taking her just because I'm wondering how hard it's going to make it on us..

Carnival is one of the few lines that will change diapers.

When we looked into taking our two year old (we ended up leaving her at home with Grandma and Grandpa) the late night sitting took place in the Camp Carnival room and was like a big slumber party.

Camp Carnival Night Owls

*******************************************************************************************

For the convenience of our guests, Camp Carnival offers Night Owls for children 6 months to 11 years, allowing parents time to enjoy the nightlife without having to worry about their little ones.

When?

Night Owls is available each evening from 10:00pm-3:00am.

Night Owls is not available during the hours that Camp Carnival is closed or during Camp Carnival’s scheduled activities, which typically run from 10:00am-1:00pm; 2:00pm-5:00pm; and 6:00pm-10:00pm.

How much?

$6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child

No discount for additional children

Fees are due upon pick-up and paid via Sail & Sign Card directly to the Youth Staff on duty. Cash is not an acceptable form of payment.

Any child left past 3:00am will be charged double (for the time period beyond 3:00am) and will forfeit Night Owls privileges for the remainder of the cruise, if the policy is abused.

Where?

In the Camp Carnival facility with a "slumber party" type atmosphere, including movie time, toys, video games and room service snacks. 9-11 Years have fun playing video games, arts & crafts and more.

Children sleep on pillows and blankets. Cots are not provided.

For infants, Pack & Plays are available for usage.

Note: Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer any in-stateroom services.

Check out the links in my signature below for more details.

The rule in our house, you have to be 2 before you can cruise. That is the age Camp Carnival will take our kiddos. They do change diapers and I have 2 w/special needs and they were very accomodating to them. We have not had a bad experience in the three cruises we have taken them. They do give you either a phone or a pager to get in contact with you should your child become ill, unruly or just missing Mom and Dad (unconsolable). They do not work in port though. We have left our child in Camp Carnival while in port (after a bad experience with her and the locals) and she was just as happy and content as can be. They have always kept our children busy, entertained and happy.

I will also add that they are very strict in their policies of signing in and out, which I find to be a very good thing.

We have never used their after hours babysitting but I do understand there is a fee and it is like a big pajama party.

Hope this helps!!

Happy Cruising!

you supply the diapers and change of clothes. you will be given a pager or cell phone if there is a problem they will call you. if you child does not do good with strangers and she cries and con not be consoled you will be called.

you are right when your thinking is its not going to be easy. its a different type of vacqtion. camp is opened on sea days at 10am and pick up is by 12:45 opens up at 2 and closes at 5 opens again at 7.

you want to try to adhere as much to her scedule as posible.

please do consider what you will do on port days if she refuses to go to the camps

We cruised on Carnival Dreams last week...our youngest daughter is 2 yrs 10 mo. She had a great time at Camp Carnival! She's not yet potty trained, so yes, as others have stated, they do change diapers. She probably spent on average between 2-3hrs per day...we'd take her there before lunch, or on occasion in the middle of dinner (after she'd eating, allowing us to linger over our mains and dessert). Camp Carnival is especially good for this age, as it gives them an activity to do (remember, if they're not potty trained, they're not allowed in the pools).

That said, remember that every child is different. While our two year old loved camp carnival, we heard from and saw other parents on the cruise who's young kids hated it.

It was only eight. I figured it'd be more considerate to post them in a single post than posting them individually, but next time I'll make sure I take the time to go through my questions, pick the most important ones, and post only those to make you happy. ;) Didn't know they had question limits on message boards, but glad I do now! Thanks for the info!

To everyone else, thanks for the real info, I really appreciate it. I'm dealing with my only child so I don't take her safety and happiness lightly and want to make sure I know everything about what I'm getting into before I do it.

It was only eight. I figured it'd be more considerate to post them in a single post than posting them individually, but next time I'll make sure I take the time to go through my questions, pick the most important ones, and post only those to make you happy. ;) Didn't know they had question limits on message boards, but glad I do now! Thanks for the info!

To everyone else, thanks for the real info, I really appreciate it. I'm dealing with my only child so I don't take her safety and happiness lightly and want to make sure I know everything about what I'm getting into before I do it.

You can ask as many as you want. Especially since all your questions deal with child care while at sea.

ANother thought-- if you leave your child in the camp while you do the excursions-- what happens if the ship leaves without you?

ANother thought-- if you leave your child in the camp while you do the excursions-- what happens if the ship leaves without you?

This would freak me out as well. Missing the ship would be awful, but i would want my kids with me when we missed it.

When someone asks 14 questions in one paragraph, my only response is "really".......

when someone has nothing to add to a question posted by a poster my answer is "really" why bother hitting the reply button...

just curious if it ever comes up, on our next cruise my daughter will be 23 months, anyone know if carnival is very strict on the 2 year policy or they a little lenient?

They will not take a child if even if the kid is 1 week away from the age limit.

Archived