For those who have cruised on the Oasis

egamigal

• 2 weeks later...

we ate at specialty restaurants 5 of 7 nights. We actually ended up skipping the Lobster night because we didn't feel like getting dressed up, so we ate in the Seafood shack that night.

The specialty restaurants are great on the Oasis, definitely a good choice if you want variety. The best value for the money is probably Giovannis. Much better than Portofinos on other ships. The Seafood shack isn't bad either. the Coconut shrimp was really good, and since everything is cooked to order, much fresher than what you get in the dining room.

Beef stroganof--you're got to be kidding. You guys make it sound that is the only entree on the menu. Remember, there's always pasta, steak , etc. On the Feb. Western route, we ate 2 nights at Goivanni's and Chops. Lots of food at Giovanni's for the $20 apiece. The other 5 nites we found the food in the MDR to very good.

• 3 months later...
We have reservations for Chops on night 3 and Giovanni's Table on night 6. Does anyone know on what night the Surf's Up Party is held at the Seafood Shack? I'm guessing it would not be on a formal night, but who knows?

Yes, food is subjective - there is one specific menu I'd like to avoid - I think it's the beef stroganoff night - anyone know when that is on the Oasis/Allure Western routes?

Thanks for any help!

We were on The Enormously Large Ship of the Seas last June. One night the chef's recommendation was the "Beef Stroganoff". Several of us in our little area of couples against the bulkhead with the large piece of art ordered it.

Imagine our surprise (and shock!) when it was served. Bits of beef, three mushrooms, pickles, over RICE!! Not only did we all send it back and then ordered something else, when the maître d' did his rounds, I took the time to explain to him that what Americans consider Beef Stroganoff and what was served to us was two very different things, and if they continued serving their version of it, people would continue to be very disappointed and angry every time. I even wrote this all out on the comment card.

Along with cruising, my girlfriend and I like to drive up to Disney World every now and then, so along with cruising podcasts, I listen to Disney World podcasts. I just finished listening to one where some of the podcast crew cruised on the Oasis, and a few others went on the Allure, and then they had a round-table discussion ( www.podcast.wdwinfo.com , one of the 4/18/2012 shows). Imagine my disappointment when they mentioned the abysmal "Beef Stroganoff" they were served one night.

Looks like my comments weren't heeded. One of the podcasters said that it looked like they were purposely dumbing down the food in the MDR to drive business to the specialty restaurants. Sadly, I have to agree. Just another reason not to sail on an Oasis class ship again.

I dislike the final night's menu on all ships, the one that contains TURKEY as an entrée choice.

I agree with you. I tried the turkey once. Never again. That is the only meal I can truthfully say I didn't like. Yet, on our last cruise, several people ordered it, saying that they loved it. And that they usually order it. Such is life.

As the turkey is not the only item on the menu, I do find something I like to eat. Not a problem for me. DH and I always eat dinner in the main dining room. We do enjoy it.

We were on The Enormously Large Ship of the Seas last June. One night the chef's recommendation was the "Beef Stroganoff". Several of us in our little area of couples against the bulkhead with the large piece of art ordered it.

Imagine our surprise (and shock!) when it was served. Bits of beef, three mushrooms, pickles, over RICE!! Not only did we all send it back and then ordered something else, when the maître d' did his rounds, I took the time to explain to him that what Americans consider Beef Stroganoff and what was served to us was two very different things, and if they continued serving their version of it, people would continue to be very disappointed and angry every time. I even wrote this all out on the comment card.

Along with cruising, my girlfriend and I like to drive up to Disney World every now and then, so along with cruising podcasts, I listen to Disney World podcasts. I just finished listening to one where some of the podcast crew cruised on the Oasis, and a few others went on the Allure, and then they had a round-table discussion ( www.podcast.wdwinfo.com , one of the 4/18/2012 shows). Imagine my disappointment when they mentioned the abysmal "Beef Stroganoff" they were served one night.

Looks like my comments weren't heeded. One of the podcasters said that it looked like they were purposely dumbing down the food in the MDR to drive business to the specialty restaurants. Sadly, I have to agree. Just another reason not to sail on an Oasis class ship again.

Even though you, and your friends did not like the Beef Stroganoff, doesn't mean everybody dislikes it.

I do have a question for you. Oasis holds over 6,000 people. If everyone went to the specialty restaurants, how would you feed the masses? The specialty restaurants are not big enough.

I for one, am happy with the main dining room, and love the Oasis class ships. So much so, that DH and I are in the planning stages for a B2B on the Allure.

If you use he interactive screen, or you TV, you can see the menus for the week. I personally love the pasta dish on the first night with the the mushrooms and truffle oil. Also like the lamb shank. I also know lamb is a love/hate experience for many. Look it over on day one and choose according to your own tastes. And as others have said, if you don't like it, send it back. If your waiter is worth their salt, they'll see that you don' like it and bring you something else.

Archived