For those who have cruised on the Oasis

egamigal

More specifically, for me at least, on the Oasis' Western sailings, is the second formal night (i.e. lobster night) the fifth night? If so, can anyone recall (or post) the fourth night's menu, please? I'm trying to make some choices about specialty restaurants. Thanks!

As I recall, toward the end of the week, things just weren't that great. I think the Oasis or Allure for MDR food isn't truly as good as some of the smaller ships. We just cruised on the Mariner and dh and I were amazed at the difference - for the better. Food was very tasty. I think just size and getting it out to the tables is challenging. That is not to say we would never eat in the MDR on the Oasis and Allure, we would and have. We have also eaten in the Windjammer in the evening on the Oasis and found it so different than during the day. Great variety, some of the same choices as in the MDR for the evening, and very personal service from the wait staff. We've decided we're not very picky eaters after some of the comments we've read on CC, so you may have to take our comments with a grain of salt. ;)

I disagree....I am a bit of a foodie and I found the Oasis MDR better than all of the other MDR's on all ships. That is not to say, that it is great....but better than what I am used to

on other ships. I would try to dine in the MDR on their formal nights, as I think they up it a notch. I would definitely try Chops (we dined here on our last evening), Central Park was good (smaller portions....some people at the other table were not impressed), and my brother gave the nod to Giovannis. At the end of the day, food choices are very subjective. Happy and safe travels.

We have reservations for Chops on night 3 and Giovanni's Table on night 6. Does anyone know on what night the Surf's Up Party is held at the Seafood Shack? I'm guessing it would not be on a formal night, but who knows?

Yes, food is subjective - there is one specific menu I'd like to avoid - I think it's the beef stroganoff night - anyone know when that is on the Oasis/Allure Western routes?

Thanks for any help!

I am just off Oasis and I would agree that the beef stroganoff night was one I would skip in the MDR. I think that was night 6 on the Western cruise. The prime rib on day one was just OK as well. I was drowned in an unneeded sauce. Otherwise the MDR was pretty good. We were in Giovanni's on Italian night and I understand that was pretty good, but I doubt it was anywhere as good as what we had. The Chef's table was one of my favorite dining experiences of all time. I was surprised the table was only set for ten and two did not show, so it may be possible to get in even at the last moment. It was costly but the wines alone would cost the $90 if purchased by the glass.

I'd like to throw something out here. We've eaten on lots of ships and what I've noticed is that so much of everything is dependent on the waitstaff. We have always have excellent food, and this has involved, at times, sending things back or requesting a different table. I can make a few recommendations to those who might not have thought of some of these things.

1.) Ask your waiter what his recommendations are, and why. There is a difference between "I don't recommend the fish, I don't like fish," and "I don't recommend the fish, it looks dry." If the waiter's recommendations are valid, we take his/her suggestion. If not, we politely thank them or joke around and say that we absolutely love fish, so we're gonna go ahead and take a shot at it, and they can laugh at us if it's awful.

2.) Another way to get a great dish is to ask, "What is your favorite of the things you have eaten?" Although people have different tastes, as long as you generally like what is being suggested, if it's one of the waiters favorites, you won't go wrong.

3.)Efficient waiters serve good/hot food. We met people on our same voyage who had a new waiter. He seemed to be struggling to keep up and they noticed they were receiving their food after everyone else. We absolutely loved things that they claimed were dry or tasteless. After something sits out or under lights another 15 minutes, it will no doubt be dry! Although I realize everyone needs to gain experience, I'm not willing to pay for a week of a cruise of bad food while they gain some. Ask for another table if you feel this is the case.

Another solution would be to talk to the head waiter and praise the server (if he or she is a good one, maybe just a little slow) but suggest that he/she could use a little help getting his food out a bit quicker. We did this on one cruise and it solved everything. The assistant waiter helped our new waiter and by the end of the week our very sweet server was faster and we had good hot food all week.

4.) I'm not sure exactly how it works, but sometimes we seem to get all choice plates! I don't know if the waiter grabs the ones he wants or if we're just lucky. Now, that being said, we've gotten a couple that probably shouldn't have been served. When that happens, we politely ask for another. We are happy to wait because sometimes it takes a few minutes, but it means we don't have to settle for something that should be better. (Examples are a VERY fatty and gristly piece of meat, cold soup that should be hot, etc.)

5.)If you order something you don't like, politely ask for something else and be prepared to wait a few minutes. I am surprised when our tablemates have ordered something, then either complained through the whole meal about it while eating it, or didn't eat past the first bite. On one cruise, our waiter actually suggested to our table the first night that when ordering, we order a second entree between the two of us to share. Then if we didn't like something, we'd already have something else. I think he did this because we were very far from the place he retrieved the food and it was easier for him to get an extra plate right away then to go back and get something else. Ever since that time, DH and I do this if we are unsure about an entree.

6.) Please don't take any of the above and think that I am suggesting that anyone be overly picky, demanding, or make a pig of themselves. (I've seen all these things, too!) There is a fine line, and these waiters work really hard. I just hate to see people give a bad review of the food on a ship when they could do a few things to change their entire food experience.

Enjoy!

Margie

On our Oasis Eastern, day 5 ( St Martin) was poor, we were there and the waiter could nit recommend anything! He suggested the salmon off if the alternative menu, 3 of us had it and it was dry and bland, so I can't imagine how bad the other stuff must have been. My DH was not thrilled with the pasta that night either.

Be aware that although the actual menus never change, they will sometimes present them in different orders if they have holidays or other (supply?) issues. This causes some confusion when you look at people's menus online sometimes!

I found the food in the dining room very good compared to my last few Royal cruises.

I would always find something that appealed to me.

I will also definitely recommend Giovannis. The food is excellent and you will be stuffed when you leave.

Hi all!

I enjoyed the food on the cruise too except the beef stroganoff on Thurs of the western route. We went to the Chef's Table on the Monday & there was only 8 of us so that was nice. It was a great experience even for a non wine drinker. That was Italian night so we missed it. Wed was lobster night.

Sure wish I was back there having my dinner served!;)

~ Jo ~ :)

We have reservations for Chops on night 3 and Giovanni's Table on night 6. Does anyone know on what night the Surf's Up Party is held at the Seafood Shack? I'm guessing it would not be on a formal night, but who knows?

Yes, food is subjective - there is one specific menu I'd like to avoid - I think it's the beef stroganoff night - anyone know when that is on the Oasis/Allure Western routes?

Thanks for any help!

Well I cant answer your question................But I do agree with you on that night.............seems the food was alright. We only ate in the MDR 3 times the last time. This was one of them the other two were fine in fact excellant. We ate at Giovonni's 2 times Chops 1 and the Wnjmmr another night. The Wnjmmr is really great when you want to eat and relax and take it private at your own pace....good food too!

If you had to pick a day to go to a specialty restaurant which day would you choose?

Every Day.

I love RCI, and I thoroughly enjoy their ships. But the MDR is a mediocre, mass produced, banquet meal at it's BEST. And it's rarely at it's best!

If you take into account the quality difference, the specialty restaurants are a BARGAIN.

How much is the chef's table in 150, & how much is the "normal" 150 charge ?

Do they offer a non a no wine option at the chef's table ? Some of my group do not like wine

Thanks

Unless they've changed things, the Chef's Table isn't in 150. When I was on Oasis two years ago, it was on the upper level of the Concierge Lounge.

How much is the chef's table in 150, & how much is the "normal" 150 charge ?

Do they offer a non a no wine option at the chef's table ? Some of my group do not like wine

Thanks

Looking at the compass from last week. The regular charge for 150 is $40 and the Chef's Table charge is $95 gratuities included. It says guests 13 and over are welcome but doesn't mention a reduced cost.

My least favorite meal on the Allure was the Crown and Anchor Dinner on night 6. It was the on the Western cruise the day we visted Cozumel. After seeing the menu, we tried to get in the speciality restaurants and they were all booked up. The pork tenderloin was not that great along with the rest of the meal. Ordered a steak and it was tough.

I'd like to throw something out here. We've eaten on lots of ships and what I've noticed is that so much of everything is dependent on the waitstaff. We have always have excellent food, and this has involved, at times, sending things back or requesting a different table. I can make a few recommendations to those who might not have thought of some of these things.

1.) Ask your waiter what his recommendations are, and why. There is a difference between "I don't recommend the fish, I don't like fish," and "I don't recommend the fish, it looks dry." If the waiter's recommendations are valid, we take his/her suggestion. If not, we politely thank them or joke around and say that we absolutely love fish, so we're gonna go ahead and take a shot at it, and they can laugh at us if it's awful.

2.) Another way to get a great dish is to ask, "What is your favorite of the things you have eaten?" Although people have different tastes, as long as you generally like what is being suggested, if it's one of the waiters favorites, you won't go wrong.

3.)Efficient waiters serve good/hot food. We met people on our same voyage who had a new waiter. He seemed to be struggling to keep up and they noticed they were receiving their food after everyone else. We absolutely loved things that they claimed were dry or tasteless. After something sits out or under lights another 15 minutes, it will no doubt be dry! Although I realize everyone needs to gain experience, I'm not willing to pay for a week of a cruise of bad food while they gain some. Ask for another table if you feel this is the case.

Another solution would be to talk to the head waiter and praise the server (if he or she is a good one, maybe just a little slow) but suggest that he/she could use a little help getting his food out a bit quicker. We did this on one cruise and it solved everything. The assistant waiter helped our new waiter and by the end of the week our very sweet server was faster and we had good hot food all week.

4.) I'm not sure exactly how it works, but sometimes we seem to get all choice plates! I don't know if the waiter grabs the ones he wants or if we're just lucky. Now, that being said, we've gotten a couple that probably shouldn't have been served. When that happens, we politely ask for another. We are happy to wait because sometimes it takes a few minutes, but it means we don't have to settle for something that should be better. (Examples are a VERY fatty and gristly piece of meat, cold soup that should be hot, etc.)

5.)If you order something you don't like, politely ask for something else and be prepared to wait a few minutes. I am surprised when our tablemates have ordered something, then either complained through the whole meal about it while eating it, or didn't eat past the first bite. On one cruise, our waiter actually suggested to our table the first night that when ordering, we order a second entree between the two of us to share. Then if we didn't like something, we'd already have something else. I think he did this because we were very far from the place he retrieved the food and it was easier for him to get an extra plate right away then to go back and get something else. Ever since that time, DH and I do this if we are unsure about an entree.

6.) Please don't take any of the above and think that I am suggesting that anyone be overly picky, demanding, or make a pig of themselves. (I've seen all these things, too!) There is a fine line, and these waiters work really hard. I just hate to see people give a bad review of the food on a ship when they could do a few things to change their entire food experience.

Enjoy!

Margie

Some good thoughts Margie. Once upon a time as a cruise newbie I didn't speak up.... I just thought we get what we get. But after watching others who were more experienced having a better dining experience I soon learned the tricks which is basically what you are saying here.

I dislike the final night's menu on all ships, the one that contains TURKEY as an entrée choice.

I agree. That is definitely the least appealing to me.

Agree as well. It must be some kind of inside joke to dare us to not come, because i dont know anyone who looooves the last night's menu. For what its worth, though, I think the turkey and mahi mahi entrees are the least worst. The leather in the shoes I wear on formal night are more tender than that strip steak.

Archived