Will you bother to turn up for the lifeboat drill next time?

I wonder on my/your next cruise will everyone will turn up the the drill?

Not stay sat down to breakfast, or guarding their sunbeds for dear life, or pretend this is the second week of their cruise and they did the drill last week.... llike people do now.

I thought it's mandatory. On my last few cruises I've seen them checking off names and looking for those not checked off

It is mandatory. Over the years there have been a few threads about avoiding it but they have faded away and I haven't seen a new one in quite a while. They've started taking attendance via card readers in the last couple of years so they know who skipped and from what I've read they have made people attend another one so there's no getting out of it really.

It's manditory but if you were on B2B they don't care if you did it the first week. Having said that I have been on B2B and gone both weeks. In one case I was in a different stateroom and different location for drill. On most B2B you are in the same stateroom so they don't care if you show up or not but I do.

It is mandatory. Over the years there have been a few threads about avoiding it but they have faded away and I haven't seen a new one in quite a while. They've started taking attendance via card readers in the last couple of years so they know who skipped and from what I've read they have made people attend another one so there's no getting out of it really.

Safety drills should be mandatory. As long as proper safety procedures are in place and practiced.... Otherwise the drills become as useless as the old "duck under the desk" during the cold war.

Before they did the swiping of the cards, they would put a flag in your door that said evacuated.

One time we got a nasty letter saying we did not attend the muster drill, which we did. But the bigger issue now it is all scanned.

On RCL Splendor of the Seas last year we had to line up on deck infront of our allocated lifeboat, did not need to take lifejackets with us-we waited along time as some people either didn't want to do the drill or were VERY slow getting there, so once everyone was there they introduced our crew members who would be looking after us. Very different to Ocean Village years before we met up in the bar areas-you went to your muster station and put on lifejacket and were told this is your meeting station-from here if it was necessary we would have been taken to the lifeboats.

Looking back to this awful distaster this week I can't help feeling neither of these methods would work soundly. Panic and listing of the ship will make launching lifeboats very difficult. but it is important to know where/what you should do in an emrgency-although I can't help feeling EVERY emergency will have "mistakes" "human errors" in them.

Having said all this we are booked to cruise in April 2012 and God willing the cruise will be as enjoyable as the others we have had over the last few years.

One question I will ask the next time my muster station is in a bar, or theater, is "Where is my lifeboat?"

I will be cruising on Oasis in Nov. I will not only ask that question , if not told, and I for one will familiarize myself with that location, but also ,"Where do you store all the life jackets for the people at this muster station?" I believe on Oasis and Allure, they are not in the cabins.

I will be cruising on Oasis in Nov. I will not only ask that question , if not told, and I for one will familiarize myself with that location, but also ,"Where do you store all the life jackets for the people at this muster station?" I believe on Oasis and Allure, they are not in the cabins.

Just open your eyes, the storage places for the life jackets are clearly marked, the life boats are lined up along the promenade deck and there´s not certain boats assigned to you.

For those that want to muster at a certain lifeboat - think back some years when the Star Princess went on fire and a good part of one side of the ship was in flames. It wouldn´t have done you any good if your life boat would have been on that side and it wouldn´t have helped you to get there.

On Allure we all stood there for FAR too long of a time because of idiots who didn't show up. The crew went off hunting for them and it wasn't until about 20 minutes later did they account for everybody and we finally got down to procedure.

I'd personally think they should resort to embarrassment tactics now to get these sorts of people in line as I strongly suspect they're in the "been there, done that, not going again" repeat cruise crowd...same as the frequent fliers who can't be bothered to listen to safety announcements on aircraft, or intentionally go out of their way to show all the other passengers how they're ignoring them because they're special somehow.

I beg to differ with you Paulxyz, we were allocated a particular lifeboat on Splendor last year, but I know common sense would tell you if your allocated side of the ship is the area with problems-you hopefully would be guidrd to another area-or could it be "fend for yourselves" who knows really?

I beg to differ with you Paulxyz, we were allocated a particular lifeboat on Splendor last year, but I know common sense would tell you if your allocated side of the ship is the area with problems-you hopefully would be guidrd to another area-or could it be "fend for yourselves" who knows really?

No need to differ, if your muster station is right under the lifeboat you are most likely assigned to that boat. I was talking aobut muster stations not being on the promenade deck under the lifeboats.

But of course even if your Muster station is underneath a lifeboat you can´t really be sure that´s the boss you are abandoning the ship on.

BTW and I think this is something often not taken into account in these discussions. Not always an emergency forcing the crew to call you to your Muster station will result in actually abandoning ship.

Just open your eyes, the storage places for the life jackets are clearly marked, the life boats are lined up along the promenade deck and there´s not certain boats assigned to you.

For those that want to muster at a certain lifeboat - think back some years when the Star Princess went on fire and a good part of one side of the ship was in flames. It wouldn´t have done you any good if your life boat would have been on that side and it wouldn´t have helped you to get there.

As a seasoned cruise I'm always aware of my surroundings. So the jackets are clearly marked, I know where the lifeboats are, so I shouldn't question? Just grab and go in case of emergency? My eyes are wide open now. Have a nice day.

Archived